Menu

Baby wearing

I am addicted. Baby is just 8 weeks old and I already have a ring sing, mei tai on the way and FIL is sending me a Mexican rebozo. I can't wait to get my hands on that last one. I didn't realize how much I missed wearing my little one until baby arrived.

So, which ones do you have?

I never could get comfy with a ring sling and the Moby wrap that I had is just so hot down here in Florida....not to mention all the wrapping different ways just to get it on. My fave by far is the Ergo. I don't really like it when baby cannot support their head, but once they have the head support, I start using it then. I use it on my front till they get heavier, then switch to the back.

I love my carriers! I have a Beco Butterfly, several mei tais, a soft structured carrier, and a few woven wraps. My 2 yo still like to be carried on my back in our wrap conversion mt when she is tired and we are out somewhere. Being able to wear the baby made it so much easier to go out and get things done when she was itty bitty.

This is why I can't wait for the rebozo. It is thin, light weight and easy to tie. Yay!!!

My absolute favorite, hands down, was my rebozo. I had a Mexican friend pick one up on a trip there. I think my second favorite was the Maya wrap. But I never tried the fancier slings and pouches.

One thing I really loved about the rebozo is when my dd got older (and heavier) I could stuff it in my bag and she didn't know it was there. If she did, she'd want to be in it the whole day. This way I could wait till she was truly bushed and put her in it then. Or, I could tie it around her waist and it could double as a kind of tether (I had twins 2 1/2 years older, so I had crowd control issues). This came in really handy one time when we were at an amusement park and she tried to climb out of the ferris wheel gondola :eek: (yes we were sitting right there - the girl was fast, and very good at wriggling away!).

I love my Ergo!!! I have bad shoulders and a bad back and it is the only carrier I can use. When my twins were little we would swaddle them and then kind of stick them in it crooked, it worked just as well as the infant insert :-) My oldest son can still fit in it, he's about 35 lbs and 3 1/2. Such a great investment and they have a high resale value. As you can see I could go on and on about my Ergo...

Marisa

I have a sling from Target. It's Munchkin brand, not one of the recently recalled ones. Anyway, it has been a total livesaver!

One thing I have noticed is that I get a lot of funny looks/stares. I guess baby wearing is not very common in my area, but I hate getting stared at!

Heather

I'm getting ready to have our 7th child, and have used MANY different slings/carriers over the years. The ring slings and large pieces of cloth (Rebozo, etc.) are great....until the child gains some weight! My back is just not real strong, and these don't last too long for me!

However, I've found that a stretchy wrap (like the Moby) is perfect for the first few months, and then we move onto the ultimate.....the ERGO!

If I had to do it over again, I'd save the $$ for an ERGO for sure, and make my own stretchy wrap with supportive, ribbed cotton material. That's the combo that's been good for us.