Menu

Musty odor on down comforter - how to get the smell out?

My husband stopped at a yard sale today and picked up 2 down comforters. His nose is not quite as sensitive as mine however, and they have a slight musty odor. I've tried washing them with some vinegar in the wash but it still smells.

Any solutions or was it a bad purchase?

Thanks.

This is going to sound funny but spray it down with peroxide.

We use it here for when the baby has his moments on the floor :) It works awesome!

Walmart carries it in a spray bottle. We have one and just refill as needed.

My husband stopped at a yard sale today and picked up 2 down comforters. His nose is not quite as sensitive as mine however, and they have a slight musty odor. I've tried washing them with some vinegar in the wash but it still smells.

Thanks.

Have you washed them in the washing machine and dried them thoroughly in the dryer? Down comforters stink unless completely dry.

not completely dried. But even the duvet cover still smelled after washing. My husband put the duvet covers back in with some bleach - hopefully that wasn't a bad idea. The wet down comforter is sitting on top of the washer waiting for a solution.

Thanks.

i'd try leaving them out in the direct sun and fresh air for a whole day. if that doesn't kill it, then i'd say it was a bad purchase.

If it were me I'd probably try hanging it on the line on a bright, sunny, dry day and let the sun work it's magic. I hope you find a solution whatever you try!

:iagree: Sunlight and fresh air will help get rid of the musty odor.

And if getting it totally dry (whether in the sun or the dryer) and washing it again (with vinegar) doesn't work, I'd repeat it a few times before I threw it out. Maybe try Borax too.

When laundry is left too long in the washer, the smell sometimes lasts unless the laundry is completely dried and rewashed. Mostly dry, or just rewashed doesn't work.