Menu

Is this a good schedule for Junior year?/I can't decide which curriculum for Pre-calc

U.S. History II- Alpha Omega (Lifepac)

Chemistry/with lab- Apologia

English III- Alpha Omega (Lifepac)

Pre-calculus- SOS, or BJU

Health- Alpha Omega (Lifepac)

Italian III- Progetto Italiano

Ancient History elective (3 times a week for 1 year)- Beautiful Feet Books

Astronomy- Alpha Omega (Lifepac)

The Ancient History elective and the Astronomy course are not really solid curriculum's, more of suggestions so I am not worried the load is too much. Also, since I would only be doing Ancient History 3 times a week, 1/2 year or full year credit?

And lastly, I am having trouble deciding between BJU or Switched-On Schoolhouse for Pre-calc. I like SOS better, but I am scared about the computer thing. I like how with BJU I could bring it with me. Is internet access required for SOS, and also, did you like your experience with SOS, even if not for Pre-calc? Thanks.

If anyone has any reviews on any of the products either let me know. Thanks.

My ds got terribly bored with Lifepacs for that many subjects. He asked for them in 8th grade, since he did the 7th grade AOLP math, but regretted that decision. We ended up getting other things part way through the year that were more interesting. The science and history he said were the most boring. I don't know what it's like for high school though. Maybe other people have ideas for History that may interest you more than AOLP. Maybe it was just my son.............though, actually, I've heard it more than from him. A lot of it seemed like busy work, possibly for the English too. But, some people love it, I'm just telling you our (and a few others) experience with AOLPs.

I don't know what CLE has for 11th grade, but I've heard people saying that if it's the newer version it's much more interesting/engaging than the Life Pacs, if you're looking for that kind of format.

I have to run, but I hope other people chime in here for you!

How do you prefer to do math? Can you do it from a book if there is enough explanation, or do you need to watch a teacher teach it with every step given? We did BJU Precalc. It is very light, and you might find the teacher annoying..... That being said, we may still do it for my daughter's senior year because she can't live w/o the teacher. Of the two, (BJU and SOS) I would pick BJU. If you do BJU, just do one lesson a day, no matter how little, or how much they cover, and you will come out knowing a little precalc. But know that you cannot go to calculus after BJU, my son did, and failed it..... BJU doesn't cover it all.

Two more to look at depending on how you wish to learn math and how "complete" you want precalc.: Teaching Textbooks and Lial's (and maybe Math U See). If you want more information on Lials, wait for Jann in TX to respond to this, or PM her.

Lifepacs are on the light side, so your schedule may be fine with the higher class load. My son did BF Ancients, he was swimming in history credits, so I added BF Ancients to his English and made it honors. As for 1/2 or 1 credit, it depends on how many books you read, and how many papers you write. I don't think we did many of the papers.

Hhmm, I must admit I've never closely looked at Lifepacs, but you seem to be a really motivated, intelligent student and I wonder if they would give you the depth and intellectual motivation you might need. Are they basically just a workbook type program?

Precal-we've only used BJU through algebra 1. The problems in algebra 1 towards the very end were very difficult and I didn't find the TM much help in teaching concepts. Precal is very in depth and also requires some instruction in graphing calculator use. We used Veritas Press (online class) for precal and it worked well. I didn't feel comfortable teaching it on my own.

Have you looked at DIVE (CD instruction) + Saxon or Thinkwell (you can get a discount for this with the homeschool co-op)? These might be the easiest to use on your own.

Also, my dd (I think she is your age) is doing Virtual Homeschool Group for her chemistry next year, they will be using Apologia. If you are interested, go to virtualhomeschoolgroup.com and tell Tammy you are interested. My dd loved doing Biology with them this year! (It is free!)

Have you looked at Oak Meadow? You can get the texts used. You should be able to do them on your own, and many courses have projects to choose from each week that are actually purposeful.

Following some portion of the Well Educated Mind may be a good fit. It includes great discussion ?s you could answer on your own.

Have you looked at DIVE (CD instruction) + Saxon or Thinkwell (you can get a discount for this with the homeschool co-op)? These might be the easiest to use on your own.

She may not be able to come into Saxon this late, I think I remember Jann saying not to come into Saxon later than Algebra 1.

Hhmm, I must admit I've never closely looked at Lifepacs, but you seem to be a really motivated, intelligent student and I wonder if they would give you the depth and intellectual motivation you might need. Are they basically just a workbook type program?

Yeah, they are.

Also, the problem with an online program is we sometimes get the internet shut off in the winter because we don't make as much money. I want to do SOS, but am worried. Does that require internet as well if I buy the CD ROM?

http://www.christianbook.com/switched-schoolhouse-2010-grade-12-math/9780740320613/pd/320613?item_code=WW&netp_id=746110&event=ESRCN&view=details

You cannot do BJU without renting the dvds or paying for the classes online. The books don't self teach, you have to have the teacher. To do BJU w/dvds, it costs $399, which includes one year dvd rental and all books. You keep the books, but send the dvds back. BJU has an online option that is $299.

Saxon may be hard to come into this late. It is a very different format. It teaches concepts in a random way (not in order) and has review problems every day.

Look at this sample and see what you think: http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/v/vspfiles/tt/PreCalculus.htm You may need to do a more strenuous Precalc. program after this as a senior, but that would be ok.

Can you go to a community college for your math?

My son liked the explanations, but not how it ran. You learn concepts in order, but then do a lot of review, and build the concepts during future reviews. A lot of people like this, but my kids don't. Look carefully at the samples, and the problems and see if you like it. It is some of Algebra 2, and precalc. But, you will need a college text precalc. (or college algebra) after this before you can take calculus. Back to Teaching Textbooks, there are CDs for the solutions manual and only answers in print. But, the CDs do a on screen and verbal step by step explanation of every problem on your computer.

A few students have managed to take calculus after Teaching Textbooks, but there is quite a jump in level. You might be served better by using a college text for Precalculus. Jann in TX (that is her screen name) highly recommends older editions of Lial's, you get the text and solutions manual, usually for a pretty reasonable price. (Do a search on Amazon, Lial's Precalculus, older editions and/or used.) I am interested in looking at the texts because she says her kids haven't had any trouble doing their math on their own with these. She says there are many examples shown and great explanations right in the text. Also, she will answer questions by email, and tutor you for a very reasonable price.

Another option is Thinkwell, but my friends that did it (and her son got a very high math score on his SAT) said Thinkwell Precalc. takes two years. Another very expensive option is Chalkdust.com. But unlike Lial's, the text that Chalkdust uses really needs the dvds. But, you could try to get Chalkdust's text and see if a college nearby has it and you can look at it and see if you think you can do it without the dvds.

What math book were you using in school for Algebra II?

Just to throw another idea out there, if you would like to have the support of a math teacher, Seton Home Study allows students to enroll for a single course. It's $165, but I think that includes the math books, which are Saxon. Saxon teaches the lesson very well in the book, but there are also the DIVE DVD's to go along with that which present the same information (I think). But I have heard that it's harder to go into Saxon at the higher levels if you're not already familiar with their teaching style. They do have a Calculus course though.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I don't know if you are interested in Math-U See, but they offer calculus.

http://homeschoolcalculus.com/

And I think in the fall the regular MUS course---DVD, TM and Student Text will be available :001_smile: I really think MUS is about the only affordably priced DVD teaching course out there. And after looking and searching and looking and contemplating----we really LOVE MUS mainly because it is such, good, understandable math.

And I think in the fall the regular MUS course---DVD, TM and Student Text will be available :001_smile: I really think MUS is about the only affordably priced DVD teaching course out there. And after looking and searching and looking and contemplating----we really LOVE MUS mainly because it is such, good, understandable math.

I definitely think I am going to go with MUS. I was looking into ways to find Chalkdust cheaper, a recommendation by Jann in TX, but I am always wary of buying used things. Call me paranoid. Thanks for all the help!

for working this so diligently!

We used BJU Precalc and it was a huge waste of my son's time. The dvd teacher was very difficult to watch and follow, and the textbook was inadequate.

We switched to Lial's Precalc textbook (it's also titled College Algebra and Trig, depending on which version you pick) supplemented with the video lessons by Dr. Burger from Thinkwell. It took a small bit of doing to mesh the two tables of content, but it worked quite well. The Thinkwell workbooks were too different for ds to want to make the mental transition, so that's why we used the Lial textbook. The really nice thing is that the Lial's texts all have available auxiliary materials, such as solutions manuals, etc. Imho, there just are no better step-by-step textbooks out there than the Lial series. They're marvelous.

Hope that helps.

The Chalkdust DVD's with Dana Moseley are wonderful. He explains things very well. I know you are leery of buying used, but we've had great success buying used from other homeschoolers--either from this site or homeschoolclassifieds.com. You can buy the materials used and then pay a fee (I think in the $80 range) to buy the teacher support from Chaldust directly.

I also agree that you should rethink the workbook approach for the bulk of your subjects, and take advantage of some of the wonderful free resources available on the web.

I remember your earlier posts saying that you were planning to use a fairly expensive accredited school and that you have now switched to a do-it-yourself approach. Perhaps your family can set aside some of the money you save from not using Bridgeway to keep your internet access running during the school year. There are many free video courses online that can help structure your studies and break up the "workbook" approach. Check out hippocampus.org and annenberg media. My daughter will be using resources from these sites (in addition to textbooks) to guide her AP European History and Environmental Science studies next year.

You are doing a great job planning your homeschool studies, and I think it will be very interesting to see how your plans evolve over the next few months.

Nancy

I would really like to take Calculus my senior year.

Why? I'm not attacking you or anything, but some students are not ready to take Precalculus in their junior year. I think Jann in TX mentioned it, and I've seen it first hand with my Precalculus students. Above anything else, before taking Calculus, one should be comfortable in working with algebra and trig. Too many students are rushing to take Calculus, only to falter because of their weak algebra or trig skills. I don't know of your situation (except you mentioned a "C" in Algebra II?), so you may be different.

You may want to consider spreading Precalculus into two years, one for "College Algebra" and one for "Trigonometry." I swear, the Precalculus textbooks today seem bigger than they used to be, with more topics packed in. Also, there are a number of colleges where Precalculus is spread into two semesters. I know that this is not a perfect equivalency, but a semester college course = a year high school course. I kind of wish that my school offers a two-year Precalculus option.

Anyway, just food for thought.

We have used SOS for health and my boys have liked it OK for a subject that they're not thrilled about but that is "required". The installation is not difficult. There are only 2 CDs (an installation disc for SOS and then the disc for the course that isn't needed daily to run). No internet is needed. It is easy to install and use.

FWIW,

Kimm

We have used SOS for health and my boys have liked it OK for a subject that they're not thrilled about but that is "required". The installation is not difficult. There are only 2 CDs (an installation disc for SOS and then the disc for the course that isn't needed daily to run). No internet is needed. It is easy to install and use.

Thank you for your input. I did extensive research on both SOS math and Math U See, and I think Math U See will work better for me. Thank you though.

Why? I'm not attacking you or anything, but some students are not ready to take Precalculus in their junior year. I think Jann in TX mentioned it, and I've seen it first hand with my Precalculus students. Above anything else, before taking Calculus, one should be comfortable in working with algebra and trig. Too many students are rushing to take Calculus, only to falter because of their weak algebra or trig skills. I don't know of your situation (except you mentioned a "C" in Algebra II?), so you may be different.

You may want to consider spreading Precalculus into two years, one for "College Algebra" and one for "Trigonometry." I swear, the Precalculus textbooks today seem bigger than they used to be, with more topics packed in. Also, there are a number of colleges where Precalculus is spread into two semesters. I know that this is not a perfect equivalency, but a semester college course = a year high school course. I kind of wish that my school offers a two-year Precalculus option.

Anyway, just food for thought.

Thank you, I will definitely consider this. I am still on the fast track thinking of PS so it may take me a little while to come around but I think this might be a good idea. Even if I do move onto Calculus my senior year, I will take it slow and do a lot of review of Pre-calc. Thank you.