Menu

help me find dishes?

Hey guys-

We have these heavy ceramic dishes I got from JC Penny's a few years back and they are causing a lot of problems. They've cracked and overheated in the microwave even though they say they are microwave safe. Today I had a friend over and she put a plate in the microwave for one minute, and she pulled it out and it literally shattered and fell apart in her hand.

I think I need to get a different set. What do you recommend that is cheap, but can take the microwave, little children's hands, and an accident prone mommy? :confused:

I've heard Corelle is good? But it looks so thin and like it would just fall apart if I dropped it...

Hey guys-

We have these heavy ceramic dishes I got from JC Penny's a few years back and they are causing a lot of problems. They've cracked and overheated in the microwave even though they say they are microwave safe. Today I had a friend over and she put a plate in the microwave for one minute' date=' and she pulled it out and it literally shattered and fell apart in her hand.

I think I need to get a different set. What do you recommend that is cheap, but can take the microwave, little children's hands, and an accident prone mommy? :confused:

I've heard Corelle is good? But it looks so thin and like it would just fall apart if I dropped it...[/quote']

Corelle is good and it only breaks when dropped on tile floors. But when it breaks, it shatters. If you have a ceramic tile floor and are accident prone, forget Corelle.

What about a set of Melamine dishes? I'm pretty sure they can take the microwave and they are pretty durable.

I have had various sets of Corelle for almost 35 years and have only shattered a couple over the years. We now have laminate wood flooring and I don't believe any have broken recently.

They do chip on the edges sometimes..I think it is in the dishwasher tho.

Plus side is they are great in the microwave and if you choose an open stock set ( white ones come to mind) you can buy extra pieces individually as you need them. I have quite a few dinner plates, but not so many lunch size or soup bowls.

Oh Yeah--Correll is great for families if you want inexpensive :) That's all we had growing up, and we never broke (or even chipped) a dish. Check their website for patterns, and they also have an outlet store--so you may have some luck there, too.

Another Corelle user here -- I've gone to the all-white Corelle dishes for all plates and bowls. They ARE pretty durable -- but we have vinyl floors and will have a shatter once in a while (so it's not just tile or hard floors like that). And when they break, they DO shatter -- make sure you look far and wide for fragments; sweep well! I just like the simplicity of using them.

My recent Goodwill "find" was 28 pieces (all things we use: plates of all sizes, bowls, etc.) which would have cost about $80-$85 new. I figured they'd charge me per each, so it would be about $25. At the counter the checker looked at them all and said "How about $10.99 for the set?"

You betcha! ;-)

Corelle here, too. Love it! We have hardwood and haven't had any breakages. We mix and match the patterns, and while I occasionally realise that it might be nice to have 'real' dishes' for company, it's just not that stage of life right now. :001_smile:

If you can find it, get some old, used melamine Heller dishes. I think they were made in Italy or Germany. They are SOOOOO cool and retro, stack beautifully, are available in great colors. If I could find a place to store them, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

http://www.google.com/products?client=safari&rls=en&q=heller+dishes&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=obngS-HmApCcswOzn4HTBQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CB8QrQQwAA

How matchy do you want to be? Is storage space an issue? You could pick one favorite color and one neutral (I like black) and buy anything that strikes your fancy in that color at garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores.

The upside: lot's of fun making unique place settings, never bored with dishes, cheap, and if something breaks, you only have .25 invested. Downside: won't store as neatly as a set.

I've used Corelle for years because it is very durable. Good dishes to have with young children in the house. In 19 years I have only broken two plates. One many years ago when my coffee cup slipped out of my hand and landed on the plate in just the right way, and the second, several months ago, while I was having a temper tantrum and sent a heavy duty fork flying that happened to land on the plate.

The kids have dropped the dishes, I have dropped dishes, they have been microwaved, in the fridge, moved twice, forks and knives dropped on them by children at dinner, other items dropped on them in the sink, and they have survived wonderfully. They have very difficult to break. When the do break, they do shatter into many pieces, often small shards as well as large hunks.

My current set is at least 5 years old and still looks brand new. My mom also has Corelle for her "every day" dishes and has for my entire life (37 years). She's on her second set, and that's only because my brother and I told her the old set was ugly (from the 70's) and we were sick of looking at them and began buying her new pieces for Christmas one year.

Edited by Dawn in OH

Sounds like Corelle it is! I'll get a little starter set in white from Target or somewhere and then start checking out the yard sales as mentioned... I like that the brand has stuck around too. So if something does break I can replace it.

Walmart has the soild white by the piece and they have at least 20 different pieces so you can get exactly what you want.