Menu

Singapore math curriculum

Guest lcphillips

Guest lcphillips

Does anyone know... does the Singapore math curriculum run at a higher grade level than what it states? I got online to order the 5B material and the first book that popped up on Amazon when I did a search was a practice book for 5B, but then right after the title it stated it was for 6th grade. Does anyone know if this is accurate? I did the same type search for 3A and it came back very similar stating it was for 4th grade. Please help, I would love to know.

If you are unsure about the right level, have your child take the placement tests. We've only used Singapore math U.S. edition. I don't think it's advanced but it is different. The new Standards version corresponds to California standards and would be considered at grade level there.

Ann

The books are "grade level".

Some people use them a little behind (1A for 1st, 1B/2A for 2nd, for example) and some (such as us) are using them a year ahead (1A/1B for kindergarten). But the ordinary track is to use these at grade level.

At home you get to choose how best to meet your child's needs.

Bill

It is my understanding that in Singapore students start school the year they turn 7 (what we call first grade). American 1st grade starts the year a dc turns 6. Singapore math was designed for a child who was one year older than American students. If you look at this placement guide

http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Guide_s/85.htm

You will see that for average students, Primary math 1A would begin the YEAR an American student turns seven, which is typically the the second semester of 1st grade.

I have a big feeling the reason is for brain development. So, yes SM is designed for an older student because their 1st grade is 7 and ours is 6 years old.

EarlyBird K was written for USA because we are required to teach math in k. Singapore does not use EarlyBird because math instruction doesn't start until grade 1 (the year they turn 7)

If I am wrong about this, please correct me.

Edited by Tabrett

The placement guide you link to is for "American students."

The Primary mathematics series is "grade level" (generally speaking) in the USA. The Standards Edition (which accelerates the introduction of some topics vs the US Edition) was specifically formulated to meet the California State Standards for scope and sequence.

Some states (most) have less demanding Standards than California but over-all the materials are considered "grade level" in the USA.

Bill

The placement guide you link to is for "American students."

The Primary mathematics series is "grade level" (generally speaking) in the USA. The Standards Edition (which accelerates the introduction of some topics vs the US Edition) was specifically formulated to meet the California State Standards for scope and sequence.

Some states (most) have less demanding Standards than California but over-all the materials are considered "grade level" in the USA.

Bill

I'm confused as to what your are saying. So, the standards edition introduces topics earlier than the US or vice versa?

Also, am I correct that in Singapore students start school the year they turn seven? I thought I read that somewhere, but I can't find my source.

Isn't that why the placement chart I referred too is set up like it is, with 1A starting the second semester of 1st grade, when a typical American child would turn 7. Making it the same age range as the students starting 1A in Singapore?

Our experience is that Singapore grade levels correspond with the same public school grade level. Except the word problems are more advanced than what our public school covers.

I would always use the placement tests, though.

I'm confused as to what your are saying. So, the standards edition introduces topics earlier than the US or vice versa?

A few topics come up earlier in the SE than in the US Edition. And there are a few topics in SE that are not in the US Edition (but were in earlier editions of the Singapore materials) and were added back in to meet the CA standards.

Also, am I correct that in Singapore students start school the year they turn seven? I thought I read that somewhere, but I can't find my source.

I don't know.

Isn't that why the placement chart I referred too is set up like it is, with 1A starting the second semester of 1st grade, when a typical American child would turn 7. Making it the same age range as the students starting 1A in Singapore?

Again, I don't know. But the scope and sequence of the Standards Edition (which for the lack of a better term) is the more advanced edition lines up with the grade-level math standards in my home-state of California. So here 1A/1B would be First Grade math.

The beauty part is we get to decide what is appropriate for our children if we have a math program at home. We are using 1A/1B as "kindergarten" math. Someone else might decide to wait until 7. But in California, at least, the materials are considered "grade-level."

Bill

My understanding has been that Singapore students start 1st grade in January (real year - not agrarian year like we do) as 6 year olds. This has them starting 3-6 mos later than most American students. Not a whole grade level difference but I think significant for some kids. I've always been curious to know if this is actually true.:confused:

Oh. Well the word problem books from this publisher/author have gotten horrible reviews on this forum and elsewhere. So the OP might want to re-consider the purchase, do a little more research, and/or look at the materials from singaporemath.com, which are what most of us mean when we refer to "Singapore math" and not this other series.

Bill

Bill,

I found the info.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/initiatives/peri/

"Compulsory Education

Under the Compulsory Education Act, Singapore citizens born after 1 January 1996 and residing in Singapore are required to attend national primary schools regularly. Thus, a child born between 2 January 2003 and 1 January 2004 has to be registered at the 2009 Primary One Registration Exercise for admission to Primary One in January 2010.

If a child is assessed as being not ready or suitable for Primary One on medical grounds, a parent may seek approval from the Compulsory Education Unit for deferment of registration. Application can be made using the relevant form available on the compulsory education web page or at the MOE Customer Service Centre at 1 North Buona Vista Drive."

This is very similar to our age requirement, except that they start school in January, not the fall. That is why I think the chart says for 1st grade to start with SM 1A the second semester of American 1st grade. That would be the "year" a typical American first grader turns seven. This makes SM about 6 months advanced for the typical American child when considering age of grade.

6 months of development can make a big difference.

... a child born between 2 January 2003 and 1 January 2004 has to be registered ... for admission to Primary One in January 2010.

That is correct. Singapore students start grade1 in January after they turn 6.

If it helps, this is the link to the math S&S followed in Singapore schools (link). You may want to compare it to the S&S on the singaporemath.com web site.

~ Nandini

Bill,

I found the info.

http://www.moe.gov.sg/initiatives/peri/

"Compulsory Education

Under the Compulsory Education Act, Singapore citizens born after 1 January 1996 and residing in Singapore are required to attend national primary schools regularly. Thus, a child born between 2 January 2003 and 1 January 2004 has to be registered at the 2009 Primary One Registration Exercise for admission to Primary One in January 2010.

If a child is assessed as being not ready or suitable for Primary One on medical grounds, a parent may seek approval from the Compulsory Education Unit for deferment of registration. Application can be made using the relevant form available on the compulsory education web page or at the MOE Customer Service Centre at 1 North Buona Vista Drive."

This is very similar to our age requirement, except that they start school in January, not the fall. That is why I think the chart says for 1st grade to start with SM 1A the second semester of American 1st grade. That would be the "year" a typical American first grader turns seven. This makes SM about 6 months advanced for the typical American child when considering age of grade.

6 months of development can make a big difference.

But isn't the situation with American schools such that children born late in the "actual" year often delay starting school until the next academic year? In fact many summer-babies (boys especially) in our area wait to start K until the child is 6.

My son's class kindergarten class had a good number of boys who are a full year older than he is. So there will always be some "variation."

Still the Primary Mathematics (Singapore) Standards Edition was written to be "grade level" according to the public school standards in California. That doesn't lock a parent into following the sequence at home if they have other thoughts, but those are the expected standards to be met here.

And I'd be concerned many children would be insufficiently challenged by starting 1A at 7. It might be appropriate for some, but I think others would be bored out of their minds. Just as there are dangers of over-doing it, there are dangers of under-doing it.

Bill

I have found Singapore to be grade level, at least here in California. My 10 year old son is homeschooled and is using Singapore. His twin sister goes to school and uses Houghton Mifflin. Their math lines up perfectly, and often they are working on the same topic at the same time.

My understanding has been that Singapore students start 1st grade in January (real year - not agrarian year like we do) as 6 year olds. This has them starting 3-6 mos later than most American students. Not a whole grade level difference but I think significant for some kids. I've always been curious to know if this is actually true.:confused:

US first graders have generally turned six by a cutoff date in summer or early fall (Sept 1 is common) and start school in late summer or early fall (close to Sept. 1). Singaporean students have turned six by January 1, and start school close to January 1. So the ages are virtually identical.

Compulsory Education

If a child is assessed as being not ready or suitable for Primary One on medical grounds, a parent may seek approval from the Compulsory Education Unit for deferment of registration. Application can be made using the relevant form available on the compulsory education webpage or at the MOE Customer Service Centre at 1 North Buona Vista Drive (Tel: 6872-2220).

And further, it sounds as though it isn't up to the parents to defer admission for a year the way it is here. So my guess (and it's just a guess mind you) is that there isn't the same frequency of holding kids back a year to mature... which would mean that in the end, Singaporean students are actually younger for each grade on average.

It is my understanding that in Singapore students start school the year they turn 7 (what we call first grade). American 1st grade starts the year a dc turns 6. Singapore math was designed for a child who was one year older than American students. If you look at this placement guide

http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Guide_s/85.htm

You will see that for average students, Primary math 1A would begin the YEAR an American student turns seven, which is typically the the second semester of 1st grade.

I have a big feeling the reason is for brain development. So, yes SM is designed for an older student because their 1st grade is 7 and ours is 6 years old.

EarlyBird K was written for USA because we are required to teach math in k. Singapore does not use EarlyBird because math instruction doesn't start until grade 1 (the year they turn 7)

You are correct. I researched this a lot when my dd was younger. You explained what I learned very well. :001_smile:

Does anyone know... does the Singapore math curriculum run at a higher grade level than what it states? I got online to order the 5B material and the first book that popped up on Amazon when I did a search was a practice book for 5B, but then right after the title it stated it was for 6th grade. Does anyone know if this is accurate? I did the same type search for 3A and it came back very similar stating it was for 4th grade. Please help, I would love to know.

I would definitely try out the placement tests online. When buying supplementary workbooks, typically I've had to level up a year or 2 "number wise" to get something at the same level. 6A and 6B contain many pre-algebra concepts that may not come until a 7th or even 8th or pre-algebra book in other curriculum that I've seen. Some curriculum may align, but I wouldn't trust it without checking it out! Good luck! :001_smile:

• 2 months later...
Guest captainpap1

Oh my goodness! The great debate about levels of workbooks and age of Singapore students vs. American students. How about blind faith? We used the 1A, 1B with my first grade son (who was 5) and my second grade daughter (who was 7 most of the year and turned 8 in the spring). I bet that might drop a lot of jaws. I had heard that Singapore was " a grade level ahead" of the American Schools. After moving through the material, I found that a lot of it was review for my daughter, but some "key concepts" were taught more in depth. From what I hear the American Math is a mile long and 1/4 inch thick. She had that version last year. This year we did Singapore and got the mile long 3/4 inch thick version. So I feel that even though there was a lot of review, we made a very solid foundation to build on for the rest of her years in math. We also started memorizing our multiplication facts, learned to tell time (not just to the half hour or o'clock) etc. etc. etc. We choose to teach our kids together (time management) and they enjoy being together.

My friends son completed 2A,2B at the end of his 3rd grade year and took the CAT test for 3rd grade. He tested at a 4th grade level. She had him work through a workbook(not Singapore) more of a test prep type workbooks for 3rd graders before he took the test and taught him a few concepts (surface level) and will dive deeper into the understanding of those concepts next year. I have spoken with the lady who wrote the Teacher's Manuels for both Standards and US editions.

She commented on how Singapore does not go back and review material like American Math texts do so there is gradual gains each year that you are in the Singpaore Math program and your children will eventaully be a grade level above the "public school" student just not in the 1st grade. Also, remember the mile long 1/4" depth vs. the mile long 3/4" depth Singapore. Singapore teaches in depth learning and mastery.

I'm putting my worries away. :)

This is a matter of dispute. It depends on what your long term goals are, and what programs you plan to use for upper level math. For example if I finish the Primary series in 6th, then do a year of Pre-Algebra in 7th I am starting Algebra I in 9th, which would be an advanced path. If you plan to use the upper level Singapore texts then you loose that year. Both the Discovering Math and NEM series have 4 books that go roughly through Algebra II, which takes you through 10th grade and you are left with a year of Pre-Cal and Calculus.

But that is all assuming you have a child who can make it through Calculus in the first place. If your child isn't ready developmentally, they just aren't. :001_huh:

Heather