Menu

MUS or RS?

I'm researching math programs for dd 6 (first grade this fall). I've searched the boards and read, read, read the many rave reviews about each program. I know friends who have used MUS but I don't know anyone who uses RS. Many hs friends use Saxon (which is what my other dc have all used).

I borrowed the MUS Alpha dvd this weekend from a friend. This method is intriguing.

RS looks wonderful also. I love the idea of the games, the scripted lessons, etc.

I'd love to hear pros & cons for each program.

Thank you in advance!

I use RS when my kids are young and then switch to MUS when they are in Gr. 4. From seeing both programs, I think that RS is better for younger children as there is more variety in manipulatives and game. Every lesson is different. In the early years, there is minimal use of worksheets. Once you get into Level C, that changes. With MUS, (at least in the levels that I have seen) the format is the same--watch the DVD, do the worksheets and use the MUS blocks to help. My kids would have been bored with this in the early years. My dd was 10 when we switched and she can handle the consistency of MUS, in fact, she needs it.

RS is teacher intensive. You can't just give the child the worksheet and let her go her merry way. You need to teach the lesson. This is what I liked about RS. As I became more confident with the program, i was able to use it as guide instead of my master and that helped a great deal.

This is just my experience with the two programs. If you don't think you can handle a teacher-intensive program or that your child is more of a worksheet learner, then RS probably wouldn't be for you.

I use RS B with my daughter. I also bought MUS Alpha, and we used the first third or so. But, while I think MUS is a good program, it seemed like the whole program was just about memorizing the math facts. I like the methods that it uses, but I think RS does a far better job with understanding the math and numbers.

Beth, A friend of mine and I started RS at the same time with our kids. She had a 3rd and 5th grader; I had a 1st and 3rd grader. With both of us, my 1st grader and both our 3rd graders made the transition great and learned so much. For her 5th grader to start RS at that level, it was a bomb. My friend said if she had to do it over again, she would start RS from the beginning and then switch to something else in 5th grade. But she would never *start* a 5th/6th grader in RS (they had been using Abeka up to that point).

We switched to MUS this year (3rd and 5th grades after completing RS levels B through part of E) because my ds needs mastery programs and was tired of me having to teach him everything. He wanted to be more independent. MUS has been fabulous for both of my kids.

I do think RS is a great way to start math; the strategies and methods are excellent and we continually fall back on them. And we still play the RS games every Friday.

Edited by Debbie in OR
repeated myself

I'll share our experience with both programs. We started with MUS Alpha when my dd was 6 yo. Although, I LOVED it, dd was in tears because she just couldn't get her addition facts memorized so we were "stuck" since MUS is a program that expects/requires mastery before moving on. She was doing the same type of problems day after day, was frustrated, bored, etc... The mastery approach didn't work well for her so I reluctantly switched to RS after she asked me if there was a Math without Tears program (at the time, we were using Handwriting without Tears).

We switched to RS Level B (also completed Level C) and it was a better fit. RS has variety to the lesson, uses various manipulatives, and she prefers the abacus to the MUS blocks. Level B has 1 worksheet per lesson plus the opportunity to play the Math Card Games which she really enjoyed.

RS is teacher intensive in that you have to sit down and teach the lesson. It is not hard to teach, but it does take time.

If you plan to use RS, be sure to play the card games a lot because that is where they master their math facts since RS doesn't utilize many worksheets in the earlier level.

I think they are both great programs! Sometimes you don't know what will work best with your student until you make the decision and try it out.

Beth, I think RS B is the absolute *best* of all the levels of RS. I *cried* when I sold mine! If you're only going to try one and you have that itch, it's the one to try. If you've looked at the online samples and like it, you really can't go wrong. It's absolutely wonderful, and they have a generous return policy. Buy it and use it for a year. If you realize your life is too busy to continue on into C, move her into something more workbooky after that. But for 1st grade math, RS B is just wonderful.

There, helpful? I say if you want it, get it. People who like it as much as you do and keep being drawn to it end up being very happy with it. You're going to like it. :)

PS. I haven't repped for them in several years. I'm just telling you the truth and giving you the nudge to do what you already want to do. :)