Menu

Post #3: Will switching curricula really make a difference in our school day?

KIN

I'm thinking about dropping Spell to Write and Read and Classical Writing. I would switch to Simply Spelling or Spelling Wisdom, marking the words SWR way, and being more relaxed about it. I'm looking at switching writing to IEW's theme based books for my 5th grader next year, and the youngers going to WWE.

Will switching really help our day be less teacher intensive? Or, do we just need to keep plugging away at these things? I've done SWR from the beginning, and would keep doing it with my kids when they are K-2nd grade. I just started Classical Writing this year, but it hasn't been easy for me or my son. He can re-write the stories, but I don't know if they are good re-writes or not. The grammar in CW is very confusing to us b/c they're aren't answers. :) It just says "mark all the nouns, pronouns, verbs, prepositional phrases..." and so on.

I just haven't switched our basic curricula: spelling/phonics, math, and CW is my first writing curriculm. (Well, I did use WWE last year and liked it, it just wasn't out at my oldest ds' level so I switched to CW and next year he will be in 5th and too old for it).

I'm not fond of curriculum jumping and can see it can just cause problems. But, could it really be helpful too?

I think part of it is probably just your kids ages. Mine did not get super-independent until 5th grade. Then it was a huge jump. That said, since I have four kiddos, I have chosen materials that are less teacher intensive. FLL is every bit (or more) wonderful as Shurley, and takes only about 10-15 minutes of time from me. As far as writing, I fought IEW for 8 years, and finally put my son in a coop class this fall. It was amazing. Yes, the checklist is weird, and some of the dress-ups sound forced, but that can be worked on later. My 13ds and 11 dd both just finished the year with writing a super essay, which is a 12 paragraph research report with multiple sources. And they did it almost completely independently. I think in the future we will use WWE/WTM for k-4th, IEW for 5-8, and either advanced IEW or WTM resources for high school.

For spelling, my experience has been that unless a child has real trouble past 2nd grade (I recommend phonics only until then), any old spelling workbook will do. If your children have a special need or are just really bad spellers, then look for the specialized programs. But a lot of spelling knowledge comes from reading good books and doing copy work.

HTH and didn't confuse you further!!

I'm thinking about dropping Spell to Write and Read and Classical Writing. I would switch to Simply Spelling or Spelling Wisdom, marking the words SWR way, and being more relaxed about it. I'm looking at switching writing to IEW's theme based books for my 5th grader next year, and the youngers going to WWE.

Will switching really help our day be less teacher intensive? Or, do we just need to keep plugging away at these things? I've done SWR from the beginning, and would keep doing it with my kids when they are K-2nd grade. I just started Classical Writing this year, but it hasn't been easy for me or my son. He can re-write the stories, but I don't know if they are good re-writes or not. The grammar in CW is very confusing to us b/c they're aren't answers. :) It just says "mark all the nouns, pronouns, verbs, prepositional phrases..." and so on.

I just haven't switched our basic curricula: spelling/phonics, math, and CW is my first writing curriculm. (Well, I did use WWE last year and liked it, it just wasn't out at my oldest ds' level so I switched to CW and next year he will be in 5th and too old for it).

I'm not fond of curriculum jumping and can see it can just cause problems. But, could it really be helpful too?

Yes. The first thing I noticed on your first post is that everything you're using seems teacher/time intensive. They are all good programs, but if they come at the expense of your peace of mind, they aren't the correct ones for your family right now.

I sold my CW this year, realizing that I would never have time to teach it properly. I refuse to look at AAS or SWR, because I just don't have time to teach it. I love Spelling Power, but had to give it up due to time constraints.

I understand not wanting to hop around, but sometimes, as our needs change and our kids grow (and more become school age), we need to re-evaluate and make changes.

Yes. It will matter. I suggested in your other thread, THe Phonics Road will give you the SWR methods, with a much more pick up and go to your day. It will also knock out the writing component you are adding elsewhere. TOTAL LA for the 5 and 7 yo in 30-45 min/day...the same for the 9yo. Honestly, the 5yo has another year to focus on phonics and reading b4 you even need to enter grammar and writing. Let the 5yo be the companion to the littles....

Focus on getting the 9yo working toward independence. Not abandonment, but the ability to work without your absolute attention.

I dream of RightStart...there's just no way I could put the time in. Honestly, I wish...it just can't happen.

At the ages of your dc, history would be very simple: read the core to everyone aloud then narration or copywork -- never more than 30min/day. You can enrich the 9yo's day by giving more living books (SOTW would easily accomplish this)

How does the 2yo sleep? Naptime is your friend :)

Some choices I made that changed our lives: TOG, PR, Apologia Elem. Sciences. These choices can carry over multiple years. When we hit Algebra, I've gone math DVD. I use the DVD's for Latin. There is just not enough time in the day for me to do everything.

Give yourself a break! Honestly, at the young ages of your dc...the basics are Enough. And keep in mind, this is coming from a die hard home schooler....have you seen my gang and what we use? We get-er-dun b/c we consolidate well!

Definitely drop CW.

Instead of switching to an IEW theme-based, which is STILL going to take time from you, how about an IEW Student Writing Intensive? You'll have Mr. Pudewa teaching your child exactly what he needs to do, giving him independence and you a break from having to teach. ;) I realize the SWI-DVDs are expensive (and I don't care what anyone tells you, you do NOT need the TWSS DVD set to use the SWI sets) but it may be $100 well spent. Plus, you'll then have them for your youngers.

Also, Meaningful Compostion might be a good IEW-like choice as well.

Just thought I'd add that our IEW is currently SWI. My DD loves it and I am not teaching it. ;) (I have the teacher DVD's but haven't had time to watch them yet.) She also takes MCT online for grammar and vocab. (which is latin stems) so I supervise and help with assignments but she attends weekly webinars and all her assignments are already written out, vocab. games and all. This helps a lot. I think curriculum can make a big difference.

Edited by melmichigan

I read your three posts and I am so sorry you are experiencing what you are. I know exactly what you are describing b/c not only did I burn-out, but I burned-out my oldest when he was in 5th grade. It took several months for both of us to recover.

Burn-out is my greatest fear for the majority of posters on the K8 forum. The lists of work are almost incomprehensible to me for young kids. They are far more than what I was doing when we burned out.

I definitely learned from my mistake and have completely altered the way I homeschool, and honestly, my kids that have grown up with freedom are higher achievers and more advanced than my oldest was at the same ages. (And he is a pretty smart cookie.)

I would drop everything you are doing now completely and just spend the rest of the yr on read alouds, fun related activities (in our house that could be plays, creating comic books or stories, etc) and games.

As far as relaxed homeschooling.......I guess that might be what people describe our approach as. I have to leave to take my senior to art, but I'll try to write a practical way to teach this way later tonight. I refer to my approach as interest-driven and child friendly. :001_smile: But, at the core of my philosophy is small incremental steps forward and limited subjects.

:grouphug: It will be ok. One more thought......tea times. I'll probably forget that one, so if you want to know more----bug me on that one!

Switching to less teacher intensive curriculum will make a huge difference! When my older kids were the ages of yours I had six children 9 and under and I never would have managed if I hadn't used curriculum that my kids could use independently or mostly independently. Even now I struggle with curriculum like WWE. I love the program but it is so hard to juggle with three kids on three different levels all needing me and the baby being a distraction. Anyhow, this is what I have used for the basics:

Developmental Math

Rod and Staff Spelling

Explode the Code

Rod and Staff Phonics

Rod and Staff English/Grammar

I am currently using Sequential Spelling which is teacher intensive but my 13 year old boy really struggles with spelling so this is necessary right now.

With Rod and Staff English we spend 15-20 minutes a day and that's all my older kids used for writing. They went to high school and did just fine in preAP/AP classes. My oldest didn't even do any formal English until about 6th grade. I started her in R&S grade 4 and she got through grade 7 by the time she went to high school in 10th grade.

I only do phonics until the child is reading well...which is usually after we have finished Rod and Staff 1st grade or Explode the Code levels 1-3. (My son needed a lot more help in this area so we did other stuff with him.)

I really like Latin but I have found it really hard to implement. Using the Dvds has really helped.

Susan in TX

It made a huge difference for my family. I really overdid it with the teacher-intensive programs when my kids were younger and everyone was miserable. It took me a long time to realize that I didn't have to do all that I was doing in order for my kids to be successful, but when I finally did, it was a wonderful change for all of us. I still tend to want to gravitate towards curriculum like SWR or RS because they are so good, but I pick and choose what is most important to me or I use them for a season and then move on to something more pick up and go.

Now, instead of spending 5 hours a day working one-on-one with my children, I probably teach them for about an hour total and then I read to them for about an hour. Then, they are off to complete their work on their own. This has been much better for us all.

Lisa

"Jacob, 9 yo RightStart E, SWR, First From Latin, Classical Writing Aesop B, Queen Homeschool Bible

Levi, 7 yo RightStart C, SWR, Classical Writing Primer, Prima Latina

Isaac, 5 yo Kumon workbooks, SWR, RightStart A, lots of reading,

Grace, 2 yo getting into everything

Everyone together: Biblioplan year 4, Apologia Flying Things, CLE Nature Readers, Suzuki Piano, Harmony Art "

I think it's just a process of figuring out how to simplify things for you. To me, SWR and CW are too much work. There are other things that can help you do the job well and take much less time. Or maybe you can think of ways to simplify SWR, since you are familiar with it and want to keep it for the younger kids. I use WRTR which SWR is based from, yet I use it just for spelling and reading. I teach the phonograms, teach the handwriting part, the printing, and then spend a few years working through the spelling list and marking up words with rules and sounds. No copywork, no dictation sentences, none of that other stuff I saw in SWR. Just the foundation and then the word analysis. Spelling skills then get reinforced in our writing assignments. I wonder if you could make SWR that way.

Writing: WWE textbook can help you simplify, too. No feeling tied to the workbook, and you just pick something from your kids' reading that day to do the narration and copywork/dictation exercises on. It doesn't take long each day - maybe 15 min. per child? And then, would your 9yo still benefit from WWE? I'd check that out, too, before trying to move him on to something else - he is definitely NOT too old for it - there are plenty of 11/12/13 year olds out there using it to acquire those basic skills. This could simplify your life for another year, too. If he's beyond level 4, have a listen to SWB's logic stage writing lecture, linked in my signature. Simple, non-time consuming, yet thorough.

I might drop Prima Latina until 3rd or 4th grade, or perhaps not even start Latin til 5th grade with First Form. If they do First to Fourth Form in grades 5-8, they will still be getting a fabulous start on Latin!!!!!! PL is basically acquiring vocab, and it's not a necessary prereq to FF, I believe. You could ditch it for another few years and still be good.

Is Right Start a math program? I'd pitch the rest of it for the year for the 5yo, and start a math program afresh when he reaches grade 1. Same for the Kumon workbooks. I don't think it's necessary to do a math program in Kindergarten. Let 'im play with numbers on his own. :) You could even dump his SWR lessons until grade 1. Or just figure out how to simply teach him to read, if that's a goal for this year.

First Language Lessons 1-4 are excellent, thorough, and simple grammar lessons for grades 1-4. If you use WWE, drop the writing lessons in FLL.

R&S grammar is excellent grammar, too for a 5th grader, but again, looking at your upcoming 5th grader's age, I'd be inclined to have a look at FLL 4, so you only have to concentrate on one program set for a year with all of them. If you decide on R&S, you can ditch the writing lessons if you do WWE or SWB's logic stage writing plan (unless you like the info. in them to supplement her plan), and you can go through everything orally, even diagramming on a white board if you want. Or you could have him diagram on paper while you work with someone else. Doing R&S orally simplified a lot for me.

Bible/Bibioplan: I would just get something like the Golden Children's Bible and plain old read it to them. They can do memory work of your choosing from an adult Bible when you recover.:) I gave up Bible programs last year.

Art/Music/Nature Readers: Do these only for fun, in free time.

I'm not fond of curriculum jumping, either, but sometimes you do need to find something that will work better *in the long run* for you. I did this in the beginning years with math, but finally settled when my oldest was in grade 4, and patched up all the holes from previous years without too much trouble.

It's also a hard time of year, with coming to the end of a year and coming out of winter (I forgot to see where you live). I felt like you just a couple of months ago. So, simplify, rest, and you will come out of it.

:grouphug:

Oh yeah, and to echo Tina, naptime is your friend. We do the two hour rest period after lunch thing every day. It's everyone's time to recoup from morning activity, and prepare for afternoon, whatever that may hold. I think I gave it up for a week once, but couldn't institute it back quickly enough. :lol: