Menu

How would one combat an overactive sympathetic nervous system

I think I may know what you are referencing if it is in regards to yourself, but I don't want to say anything in case I am wrong. LOL Funny the little details from various posts over the years, that stick with us from people that we will most likely never meet, just from reading about their lives on a computer screen.

Here is a link that talks about an overactive system and how it can play into hypoglycemia. It has some vitamin recommendations, and while that isn't the same issue that you may have, it could be similar in cause. It also talks about other causes that may give you some rabbit holes to research like adrenal or thyroid disorders.

That would depend on how the symptoms were manifesting, how chronic it was, how it was diagnosed, how debilitating etc. More details would help.

Adrenaline activates the SNS, so basically, that which sets off adrenaline and causes a fight or flight reaction, will stimulate the SNS. Many symptoms are possible, and you can deal with the symptoms one at a time, but if you want a deeper approach, go for treatment which stops the triggering. So, if one is very anxious a lot- and suffers from various symptoms because of that- there are many possibilities - yoga, meditation, tai chi, counselling to deal with the underlying issues, group therapy, daily exercise, bringing more order into your life. So many possibilities.

Siberian ginseng is a great herb for stress and the adrenals.

Large doses of magnesium (in a balanced supplement) helps the muscles relax.

But, its impossible to give personal suggestions without knowing more details.

For some peopel, and antidepressant is going to calm the system and so the symptoms will decrease, but that wouldnt be my long term approach.

One of the best ways to activate the parasympathetic response is through diaphragmatic breathing and other relaxation techniques. Mild to moderate daily exercise is also helpful, such as walking, cycling, yoga, etc. Strenuous workouts are known for activating the SNS, so many people advise against them for people trying to calm down their system. You may also discover benefits from dietary changes. Some people experience significant improvement when they discontinue caffeine, alcohol, and things that contain refined sugar. I personally think a glass of red wine is quite relaxing. :001_smile:

I completely agree with Peela that some people benefit from antidepressants, but I also think that it is not the best long term approach. Medication can do wonders for *controlling* symptoms, but it does not resolve the underlying problem. Further, some of these meds are known to exacerbate anxiety when taken long-term. At the least, you should investigate anything for yourself before your start down that path.

Edited by Gratia271

Thanks. I was reading last night about my rosacea (the blushing kind. It's rather everpresent but gets worse at tims) and hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating -- which happens when very hot or when talking around people outside of the family or when I get emotional about something) and an overactive sympathetic nervous system kept coming up. I also know that I stress easily and that stress causes the body to release cortisol. I also know it can be hard to lose weight during this.

I've heard people talk about tired adrenals and about your body being in a fight or flight mode most of the time. Honestly, with two boys at home all day (and one of them being Ben), it does feel like this much of the time.

I exercise daily, and I love it. I cycle, do circuit training/weight training, and I've added walking back in. I do stretching and a few pilates moves.

I am very careful about breakfast and lunch meals and a little slacker about dinner b/c I have to appeal to so many.

So, breakfast would be whole grain cereal with skim milk. I have coffee first thing.

Lunch is something like plain yogurt with chopped fruit, carrots and hummus and a slice of bread with peanut butter. Or, I may have a blueberry/banana/spinach shake with my carrots and hummus.

Dinner can be roast with potatoes and carrots, a pasta dish, baked potato and salad, etc.

Thanks. I was reading last night about my rosacea (the blushing kind. It's rather everpresent but gets worse at tims) and hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating -- which happens when very hot or when talking around people outside of the family or when I get emotional about something) and an overactive sympathetic nervous system kept coming up. I also know that I stress easily and that stress causes the body to release cortisol. I also know it can be hard to lose weight during this.

I've heard people talk about tired adrenals and about your body being in a fight or flight mode most of the time. Honestly, with two boys at home all day (and one of them being Ben), it does feel like this much of the time.

I exercise daily, and I love it. I cycle, do circuit training/weight training, and I've added walking back in. I do stretching and a few pilates moves.

I am very careful about breakfast and lunch meals and a little slacker about dinner b/c I have to appeal to so many.

So, breakfast would be whole grain cereal with skim milk. I have coffee first thing.

Lunch is something like plain yogurt with chopped fruit, carrots and hummus and a slice of bread with peanut butter. Or, I may have a blueberry/banana/spinach shake with my carrots and hummus.

Dinner can be roast with potatoes and carrots, a pasta dish, baked potato and salad, etc.

I have rosacea. I have had to have extensive dealings with endocrinologists for other issues that include secondary Addison's. So... yes to cortisone being a contributory factor for people with endocrine issues, but correlation doesn't necessarily = causation. eg: my rosacea has nothing to do with my other endocrine issues.

I wish I could be a walking billboard for the fraud that is "tired adrenals". There is no such thing. If you go to the Mayo clinic site, it is thoroughly debunked. What *does* exist is primary and secondary Addison's disease, from various causes. Not all of them even need to be medically treated (mine does not) - most are a "eat well, exercise, and lower your stress level through yoga" kind of thing, but some definitely DO, and by a competent doc.

If you feel strongly that something is wrong (and we women always know when something is wrong that our PCPs are missing, without fail!), get a referral to a competent endo for a work up. A good place to find a "good" endo who won't dismiss vague symptoms is from the pituitary network association website. Pit problems are so weird that endos have to be very good to ferret out their root causes. That competency spills over into other areas. Most endos, OTOH, tend to just specialize in diabetes.

HTH

asta

Wow, thanks Asta for taking the time to write all of that. I will definitely look into it.

I have rosacea. I have had to have extensive dealings with endocrinologists for other issues that include secondary Addison's. So... yes to cortisone being a contributory factor for people with endocrine issues, but correlation doesn't necessarily = causation. eg: my rosacea has nothing to do with my other endocrine issues.

I wish I could be a walking billboard for the fraud that is "tired adrenals". There is no such thing. If you go to the Mayo clinic site, it is thoroughly debunked. What *does* exist is primary and secondary Addison's disease, from various causes. Not all of them even need to be medically treated (mine does not) - most are a "eat well, exercise, and lower your stress level through yoga" kind of thing, but some definitely DO, and by a competent doc.

If you feel strongly that something is wrong (and we women always know when something is wrong that our PCPs are missing, without fail!), get a referral to a competent endo for a work up. A good place to find a "good" endo who won't dismiss vague symptoms is from the pituitary network association website. Pit problems are so weird that endos have to be very good to ferret out their root causes. That competency spills over into other areas. Most endos, OTOH, tend to just specialize in diabetes.

HTH

asta

Dawn -

I've gone through some of what you have. I, too, exercise regularly and eat well. Eating protein at each meal and limiting carbs makes a huge difference for me. Eliminating caffeine is another biggie. A few months ago, my doctor noted that my heart rate was always on the high end and, that, coupled with my symptoms, led him to put me on a low dose of toprol xl, which is a beta blocker. It has made a very big difference for me. I used to feel like I had no control over my body and now I feel so much better.

Shortly after, he also discovered that my thyroid levels were just above normal (hypo) and, again, a very low dose of thyroid meds has made a huge difference for me as well.

Lisa

I have a slightly hyperthyroid which my PCP said she would leave alone if I was okay with it.

I had a cardiac ablation two years ago because of sudden extreme SVTs. They burned some cardiac tissue which stopped the short-circuiting. Since then, I've had no problems. I have always, and still do, have an irregular heart rate. I have great blood pressure, but my pulse can get high. Because of my low blood pressure, they had to switch my betablocker when I was awaiting the cardiac ablation. I felt like I was going crazy with the beta blocker, and they said it was b/c my blood pressure was so low. I thought I was going to lose it.

I have been concerned about meds for the thyroid b/c I have heard about people having difficulty when being on them for a long time.

It gets so confusing. I feel like everything is connected in some way. I just wish I could find someone to help with it.

Dawn -

I've gone through some of what you have. I, too, exercise regularly and eat well. Eating protein at each meal and limiting carbs makes a huge difference for me. Eliminating caffeine is another biggie. A few months ago, my doctor noted that my heart rate was always on the high end and, that, coupled with my symptoms, led him to put me on a low dose of toprol xl, which is a beta blocker. It has made a very big difference for me. I used to feel like I had no control over my body and now I feel so much better.

Shortly after, he also discovered that my thyroid levels were just above normal (hypo) and, again, a very low dose of thyroid meds has made a huge difference for me as well.

Lisa

I have a slightly hyperthyroid which my PCP said she would leave alone if I was okay with it.

I had a cardiac ablation two years ago because of sudden extreme SVTs. They burned some cardiac tissue which stopped the short-circuiting. Since then, I've had no problems. I have always, and still do, have an irregular heart rate. I have great blood pressure, but my pulse can get high. Because of my low blood pressure, they had to switch my betablocker when I was awaiting the cardiac ablation. I felt like I was going crazy with the beta blocker, and they said it was b/c my blood pressure was so low. I thought I was going to lose it.

I have been concerned about meds for the thyroid b/c I have heard about people having difficulty when being on them for a long time.

It gets so confusing. I feel like everything is connected in some way. I just wish I could find someone to help with it.

It *is* all connected in some way. Remember that song from the 60s or 70s - "the leg bone's connected to the... hip bone... the hip bone's connected to the... back bone..." LOL. Well, the endocrine system is connected to EVERYTHING.

Thyroid issues can underlie depression. Depression can prompt thyroid issues. It's a push-pull thing. Treat one, you are often treating the other. Beta blockers are great for fixing things like low blood pressure, but are also used in treating depression. Why? Because they (bum bum bum) speed things up! But guess what can happen there? A person's brain can go a wee bit too fast and they can feel like they are going crazy (sound familiar?).

As to thyroid meds, they are tricky. The only people I have ever heard of NOT having difficulties over the long term (I know two people who have had to have their thyroids out due to cancer and met one woman whose thyroid had simply stopped working) had extremely diligent endocrinologists who LISTENED to them when they talked about how their bodies felt vs what the tests said, and adjusted their meds accordingly. Most docs just say "well, your blood level says this, so here is your dose". Well, that is only half of the equation. If a person has run hypo all of their life, and the doc wants them to be euthymic "according to the chart" they are going to feel lousy. They will feel sluggish and blah. If a person has always felt blah because they have run hyper, they don't need to be set back to what was "their normal", they need to be set to something healthy.

Like I said, complicated. But not impossible. From what I've heard, it's entirely worth it.

a

Sorry to hear all that, Dawn. I was hopeful that what had worked for me would work for you, but it doesn't sound like it since I have had the opposite reaction with the beta blocker. All I can say is that it has taken me years to finally find some relief and I'm not confident yet that it will be sustained because it's only been a couple of months. I have an excellent doctor who really does listen to me and truly tries to find solutions. That is the only reason I have the quality of life that I do today. I hope you can find someone who will do the same for you.

Lisa