Menu

I can't believe it, somebody else wants to be me!

Yes, identity theft has hit home. Apparently there's someone out there pretending to be me, or at least using my ssn to file their tax return and do who knows what else.

So, today I immediately signed up with ID Theft.com and will now have the unpleasant task of refiling with the IRS and tracking any other activity that's taken place in my name.

Honestly, there are days when I would gladly give up my identity.

So, let this be a learning lesson to us all...id theft actually happens to real people. :ack2:

If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out?

Informing me that someone else has filed in my name with all my personal info. Weird huh? The biggest gov't beauracracy actually was on the ball. Anyway, it looks like I've got some leg work to do to get this straightened out.

Suspicious and paranoid as I am, my first thoughts were that maybe this is a scam to convince you you've been scammed in order to scam you.

How do you know it was the IRS that called you? What if it was some scam artist, who then got your personal info? Did they have your personal info when they called, or did you give it to them? And why would you need to sign up with something online, if the IRS is already on to it?

I went through this years ago and it was a difficult experience. But, at least now there are a few more protections. When it happened to me no one had even heard of it.

The worst part of it is the time that it takes to get things straightened out. It is a process that tries the patience, but it will be ok.

Laurel T.

only it was not just using my SSN to file taxes. There were also several VERY large loans taken out using my info. It was a devasting 5 years to get everything straightened out. The worst part was that I personally knew the culprit.

...id theft actually happens to real people. :ack2:

Yes, it happened to me, too. I went on-line to pay my house payment and my bank account had been wiped out. My bank was not very helpful but I was able to find out about a very large purchase that had been made from a particular on-line store. When I contacted them, they took it very seriously and had the money back in my bank account within ten minutes. So far, it hasn't caused me any more problems, but I'm leery.

Laurel T. is my sister and as you can read above, this happened to her, also. So, it's not so uncommon.

Suspicious and paranoid as I am, my first thoughts were that maybe this is a scam to convince you you've been scammed in order to scam you.

How do you know it was the IRS that called you? What if it was some scam artist, who then got your personal info? Did they have your personal info when they called, or did you give it to them? And why would you need to sign up with something online, if the IRS is already on to it?

I have similar concerns to gardenschooler. I'm really hoping that the person who called you verified that they were, in fact, from the IRS in some way (by giving YOU your own personal information before you gave any to them).

FWIW, the IRS webpage states very clearly that it does NOT initiate contact with individuals via email. I'm not sure about phone calls. I know that anytime we've had an issue with the IRS, they have first contacted us by MAIL. And,there are several scams running right now that have to do with rebate checks, etc. -- typical during tax time. There are several scams listed here. Since the one you describe isn't among them, I'm hopeful yours was legit. But, others BEWARE!!

No matter what, I'm very sorry you're having to go through this.

Doran

That was my first thought too. 1) How would the IRS know it wasn't the actual person filing? 2) It surprises me that if they knew, they would call as opposed to write. Gov't agencies have to document everything and a written letter is the easiest way to do that.