Menu

Looking for good Bible story picture book.

SproutMamaK

My kids looove picture books. Not books that are just pictures, but books where the picture take up most of the page and there's just a paragraph or two of writing per page. They get bored with a book if we stay on the same page (and hence looking at the same picture) if we're reading a full page of text, and they'll zone out of the story.

I'm having trouble finding a good Bible story book. Everything we've tried is either too simple (board book style with one simple sentence per page), or too wordy. Ideally I'd like a rather large volume with many bible stories in one book. (I'm aware that since a story would be spread out over several pages, I may have to buy a different book for each story or get a huuuuuuge book (or two).

Any suggestions? Cost isn't really a concern.

Our favorite is the Jesus Storybook Bible. All of us love it! It is pretty much exactly as you described, a few paragraphs per page, with a picture. The stories are paraphrased, with cartoon drawings, so if you are looking for a strict translation (KJV, or NIV) with realistic pictures, it may not be for you. As a storybook Bible though, it can't be beat!

I have ideas that are a bit more than I think you want and ideas that might not be quite what you want either in the other direction I suspect. But I'll pass them along anyway.

We absolutely love that Jesus Storybook Bible mentioned above too. It's our current favorite. I tear up reading it often. Beautiful. But I'm not sure if it has too many words to hold the attention on the page for you and unfortunately I don't think you can preview it on Amazon. The pictures are nice and colorful (often full page w/ the text there too) but it has more paragraphs per page than you might want--I opened to a random page just now and it had four paragraphs (about 2/3 a page of writing) on one page. But it's not a waste to get it and try because if not now in time I think they will love it. It's just a really great storybook bible. That said, I think (based on my own child with, I suspect, similar preferences and "wiring" as your kids and the same age as your oldest) that it might possibly be too much wording right now especially for the youngers.

We also did this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Bible-Karyn-Henley/dp/0310926106/ref=pd_cp_b_1 This is an older version by Karyn Henley. You can look inside and see what you think about this one. There is a newer version with a different illustrator and author but same title (and cover I believe) and publisher but based on reviews you really want the older one. I had to buy the Karyn Henley one used. There is about one paragraph per page on average. We really like this bible and I think it might be enough to hold the attention of the older without losing the younger (middle at least if not youngest) if you think the artwork is enough.

We loved these books (we have all four volumes..some I really had to search for at the time I purchased) especially when they were younger but it's even more simple wording (very memorable though) and you might not like the artwork either. http://www.amazon.com/Read-Aloud-Bible-Stories-1/dp/0802471633/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272234162&sr=1-7 It may be too little but do consider. My spectrum kiddo especially loved these because of the wording capturing him . Do look. You might not like the art but I believe the wording is short and will engage them--especially the youngers--better than maybe any other choice. It might be too young for the oldest though. My same age spectrum child still likes them, his neurotypical twin is ok with them but he's ok with any book and they wouldn't now be his choice. I think they would be great for the younger ones.

The middle one I mentioned, if you like the art work, is the closest I have to what you're wanting.

Edited by sbgrace

Our favorite is the Jesus Storybook Bible. All of us love it! It is pretty much exactly as you described, a few paragraphs per page, with a picture. The stories are paraphrased, with cartoon drawings, so if you are looking for a strict translation (KJV, or NIV) with realistic pictures, it may not be for you. As a storybook Bible though, it can't be beat!

PPs suggestion is fantastic, and I love how the theme of Jesus' end goal to rescue us is woven throughout.

This is a great one too. Better for younger kids and very engaging. Just a few words per page.

http://www.amazon.com/Read-Aloud-Bible-Stories-1/dp/0802471633

:iagree:The Jesus Storybook Bible is good. I do prefer more realistic pictures, but the content is great. It came with CDs so my 6yo will read along with them during his rest time.

I'd also recommend The Family Time Bible in Pictures by Kenneth Taylor. We read it last year when my dc were 5 and 3. The paragraphs are short and the pictures are more realistic and on every page, but it still includes many stories not found in board books or toddler Bibles. We've moved on to a more wordy, less picture Bible for my 6yo (Egermeier's), but I'm going back through The Family Time Bible with my now 4yo this year.

:iagree:The Jesus Storybook Bible is good. I do prefer more realistic pictures, but the content is great. It came with CDs so my 6yo will read along with them during his rest time.

I'd also recommend The Family Time Bible in Pictures by Kenneth Taylor. We read it last year when my dc were 5 and 3. The paragraphs are short and the pictures are more realistic and on every page, but it still includes many stories not found in board books or toddler Bibles. We've moved on to a more wordy, less picture Bible for my 6yo (Egermeier's), but I'm going back through The Family Time Bible with my now 4yo this year.

I just want to mention--The Family Time Bible in Pictures is extremely realistic. So much so it is sometimes quite upsetting to my very visual and sensitive spectrum child. We use it. I keep it up and don't read certain stories. It's that upsetting to him (the pictures are what are upsetting). It's not my favorite but I know many love it. Do look because it has a completely different artwork style than the Jesus Storybook Bible (and message emphasis too...) and might be more what you personally want and the wording is what you were looking for in amount.

I just want to mention--The Family Time Bible in Pictures is extremely realistic. So much so it is sometimes quite upsetting to my very visual and sensitive spectrum child. We use it. I keep it up and don't read certain stories. It's that upsetting to him (the pictures are what are upsetting). It's not my favorite but I know many love it. Do look because it has a completely different artwork style than the Jesus Storybook Bible (and message emphasis too...) and might be more what you personally want and the wording is what you were looking for in amount.

That is a good point. It is the realistic pictures that I like about it. It emphasizes that the stories are true instead of just another picture book we're reading. My ds is also visually sensitive and doesn't like a couple of the pictures, but it has been a springboard for discussion for us. Cain and Abel was the hardest for him. The picture shows Cain about to hit Abel. Since my ds is the oldest of 3 boys, that image really struck him. I didn't belabor the point by making him stare at the picture (he turned away after looking at it), but we had a great talk about sin, the fall, and anger.

My 4yo, on the other hand, is not visually sensitive at all and didn't bat an eye at any of the pictures. I'm hoping that he'll notice more this year being a year older so that we can naturally have those discussions, but we'll see.

We love The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd- Jones

and The Big Picture Story Bible by David Helm.

The latter is a bigger book with less stylized art. Fewer words than than the JSB. Same redemptive-historical apporoach, emphasizing the unity of Scripture and the one Story.