Menu

Why has no one heard of Bridgeway Academy?

I also wanted to say that just because a school is accredited, doesn't mean anything.

We found this to be true last year when we were researching accreditation options for our ds. At the time we thought he might be interested in the US Coast Guard Academy, which requires an accredited diploma. We looked at a few things and thought NARHS would work for us. But later we discovered that our state university system doesn't recognize NARHS along with several other accredited programs homeschoolers use. So with one of those diplomas a homeschooler would still have to jump through the extra hoops, whereas a homeschooler with an "accredited" diploma would be viewed the same as a public schooler with regards to admission requirements.

Bottom line: check with colleges you're interested in to be sure they will accept your diploma. Otherwise you may still have to fulfill extra requirements as a homeschooler (e.g. SAT II's).

Cinder

Hi. First take a deep breath. There are many high school options out there for you. I have recently done quite a bit of research preparing for high school at home. I must admit in two years of on and off research, combined with 5 months of intensive (daily!) research, I have not heard once of Bridgewater. So I'd listen to others' posts about being careful.

Here are some options for you to look into.

1. Veritas Press High School

2. Great Books Academy

3. Keystone National High School

4. University of Nebraska-Lincoln Independent Study High School

5. University of Oklahoma Independent Learning High School

6. North Dakota Division of Independent Study (state university)

7. James Madison High School

8. Calvert School - this coming school year 2010-2011, they ARE offering a pilot high school and are currently accepting for students interested in the pilot program. You'd need to contact them to find out if they are offering all grades.

I am hoping that one of these is right for you! Take care.

• 2 years later...
Guest eccherry

Hello,

I am looking into Bridgeway and came across this thread. Did you ever sign up with it? If so, can you share your opinion of it?

Thanks.

Hello eccherry,

We used Bridgeway for my ds last year, 6th grade. We used BJU's DVD program through them. Bridgeway is a great school and they delivered on everything that they promised! Is there anything in particular you were wondering about?

• 2 months later...

Hope I haven't made a mistake with this organization. I recently enrolled my child sending in about $700.00 and a short time later I get a request for more funds. School doesn't start for two more months. I don't have a problem with paying the amount but I told them I would like for them to do something for me in return. So far all I've gotten are requests for additional payments. I asked that they would send the placement exam for my child, at least I would feel like they were working with me, Debbie indicated that she understood my concerns and would check. So far no response. I hope they do not turn out to be one of those that are more concerned about what is in my bank account than my childs education. I'll update when I get a response.

After reading this thread, I requested info from Bridgeway and was contacted the next morning. The rep was very nice, answered all of my questions, and e-mailed me some additional material. The summer program was not what was advertised so I decided against it for ds. I liked the variety of choices for elementary curriculum. That's about all I have for now.

After reading this thread, I requested info from Bridgeway and was contacted the next morning. The rep was very nice, answered all of my questions, and e-mailed me some additional material. The summer program was not what was advertised so I decided against it for ds. I liked the variety of choices for elementary curriculum. That's about all I have for now.

All of the persons that I and my wife have spoken with have been very nice, not a problem there, I am just concerned that they may not deliver what is expected. My daughter has gone to a Catholic school through the 8th grade. Now our local options are public or the private academy (neither of which are very good). From the paper work and information provided Bridgeway looked promising, but as I said in my earlier post, I'm beginning to have doubts. I was asked to pay the reg. fee and part of the tuition ($680.00) a few weeks later I,m asked for an additional 5 or 6 hundred ASAP as well as another 1100 or so in a couple of months. I have asked that they send the placement test I was told she needed to take before I send more funds. Still haven't gotten an answer. The jury is still out on this one and not looking too good. Just hate being scammed for nearly $700.00,

Be careful of NARHS. My ds has a diploma from there but the principal of the school is a JERK. That was gracious, believe me, he actually blamed the suicide of a student in his brick and mortar school for the reason for some poor customer service I was getting, as well as called me a liar, (yes, he said the words, "Madam you are a liar) when I quoted things his staff had promised me. I forwarded him an email sent to me by one of his own staff to prove I was not a "liar" and he did not apologize. The man is a NUT JOB. I could go on about the two CRAZY conversations I had with him, but I will cut to the chase and just say, be careful of NARHS

A representative from Bridgeway (Asha) did get in touch with me and I feel a little more confident that my money is going to be well spent. The way times are today, it is hard to trust anyone with your "hard earned dollars" and when my next response from them was to send more money I became leary. My child hasn't began the courses yet but they have started the testing I was initially expecting and she is excited about starting. The curriculum does appear to be challenging enough to keep her interested. We'll know more after the first year!

• 2 years later...