Menu

old post

I'm not sure. Isn't that helpful? :001_smile:

It's so hard to tell what each kid needs, but my son was struggling some with fractions at the beginning of this year and I was trying to make the same decision you are now. I bought MUS's program but in the end I decided to try the Key To Fractions book first and it turned out to be the right choice for him. Really, the Key To books are so inexpensive and take a relatively short amount of time to do, so it might be worth trying them first.

MUS's program looks good, but since the way they teach things is so different, I was afraid that it might confuse my son. Like you, I also did not want to devote so much time to one topic unless it was absolutely necessary.

Lisa

I would try the Math Mammoth Decimals 2 book ($4.25 instant download). It emphasizes conceptual understanding and presents the concepts in a really clear way. My very nonmathy DS breezed through the MM decimal & precent chapters ~ he thought decimals were "sooooo easy" because MM explains it so well. There is also a Decimals 1 book, if your son needs to back up a little farther.

Also, have you thought about the Life of Fred Decimals & Percents book? We also really enjoyed that one.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

The Key to books are wonderful for making certain types of operations automatic or at least completely familiar. But for understanding how and why it works like that, Marilyn Burns is just unparalleled. She has a book just on Fractions and Decimals that contains maybe twenty or so lessons which are laid out in detail, that focus on conceptual understanding as you work through one or two problems or examples or activities for each. The combination of the two approaches works very well.

Have you considered Life of Fred decimals? It all depends on why the child isn't "getting it". If he is a mathy kid but just didn't get the way decimals were presented last time try Key to or MM...if the child is a more creative child who loves stories Fred could be great.

I would try the Math Mammoth Decimals 2 book ($4.25 instant download). It emphasizes conceptual understanding and presents the concepts in a really clear way. My very nonmathy DS breezed through the MM decimal & precent chapters ~ he thought decimals were "sooooo easy" because MM explains it so well. There is also a Decimals 1 book, if your son needs to back up a little farther.

Jackie

:iagree:

I think MathMammoth's explanations are much better than the explanations in the Key to...series. Key to...is great or extra practice, though.

I am having the same problem with my dd who just can not understand volume. I am so totally lost on what else to do. Let me know what you decide. Maybe you can help both of us decide! :001_huh:

OH, FWIW, I have LOF decimals and percents and that makes it VERY understandable!

I am going to try your idea and ask my own question! Thanks!

Wow it feels like a monday today:001_huh: