Menu

What resources help you become a better teacher, or inspire you, or equip you?

Anything-curricula, books, videos, etc. I would especially love to hear specific teacher training materials (ACCS conferences? SWB's downloads?) because I don't know where to look for those!

I got the idea for this thread from someone mentioning on the Cincy convention thread that they don't want seminars from people convincing them to homeschool-they want seminars from people that teach them very specifically *how* to do a better job at it in all different subjects. That really resonated with me!

Here's part of my list-I will come back with more as I think of them!:

-anything by or about Marva Collins

-Teach Like Your Hair is On Fire by Rafe Esquith

-the book about teaching primary math by Liping Ma

-Singapore HIGs

-Math Mammoth

-Phonics Road DVDs

-MCT materials have helped me teach LA in a Socratic fashion

(xpost K-8)

Edited by HappyGrace

Just off the top of my head:

Teaching the Classics

Weapons of Mass Instruction

DVD - The Superstar Student

The Read Aloud Handbook

Honey for a Child's Heart

but my best resource is TWTM and this forum!!

And, I so agree about the conferences. I'm in NC and not even sure if I want to go or not this year to hear the speakers. I don't need convincing and I am not planning on having unlimited amounts of children. Seems these are the main topics each year. Don't want to feel guilty for only having four children and I already know my dcs are doing fine with home schooling. Someone asked me yesterday if my dcs ever ask to go to school. I had to honestly answer, "No. Never." It's true. That's just who we are and what we do!

SWB's Writing without Fear talk inspired me many times.

The Teenage Liberation Handbook was and is an inspiration to me, even though it tends toward a more unschooly or letting the teen take charge approach...it has helped me to "let go" of my control somewhat with my teens and allow their lives to unfold. It doesn't have to look a certain way...each teen can have a very unique path and calling, and homeschooling can give the freedom to follow that without feeling the need to cover all bases all the way through.