Menu

Recommend books on kids w/ dyslexia?

I'm beginning to think one of my twins has dyslexia.

One boy is reading beautifully, my other boy -- who I am not pushing -- is "frustrated" whenever we try. . . any kind of reading.

He has as much said that he doesn't understand phonics, but I don't know how to teach by sight words.

I want to get him tested, but I think that's serious money -- isn't it? I was planning on getting him tested in the school system and one of my hs friends said, "don't get him on their radar."

So now I don't know what to do.

One thing that makes me think he doesn't have dyslexia is that when I read complicated books to him -- Secret Garden, for example -- he can easily explain the story to his dad later that evening. He comprehends in other words.

He just cannot sound letters out.

Can you point me toward a good book or two -- I need to start learning about dyslexia.

Also, dyslexia does run in my husband's family.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alley

I'm beginning to think one of my twins has dyslexia.

One boy is reading beautifully, my other boy -- who I am not pushing -- is "frustrated" whenever we try. . . any kind of reading.

He has as much said that he doesn't understand phonics, but I don't know how to teach by sight words.

I want to get him tested, but I think that's serious money -- isn't it? I was planning on getting him tested in the school system and one of my hs friends said, "don't get him on their radar."

So now I don't know what to do.

One thing that makes me think he doesn't have dyslexia is that when I read complicated books to him -- Secret Garden, for example -- he can easily explain the story to his dad later that evening. He comprehends in other words.

He just cannot sound letters out.

Can you point me toward a good book or two -- I need to start learning about dyslexia.

Also, dyslexia does run in my husband's family.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alley

Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz is my favorite. Here is an article with a list of symptoms.

People with dyslexia have problems with hearing the sounds in words (phonemic awareness) and in rapid naming (dysnomia or rapid automatic naming deficit). Most have normal or superior comprehension, so the fact that he has good comprehension and retell does NOT mean he doesn't have dyslexia.

Good luck.

Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz is my favorite. Here is an article with a list of symptoms.

People with dyslexia have problems with hearing the sounds in words (phonemic awareness) and in rapid naming (dysnomia or rapid automatic naming deficit). Most have normal or superior comprehension, so the fact that he has good comprehension and retell does NOT mean he doesn't have dyslexia.

Good luck.

:iagree:

Another good book that isn't only about dyslexia is called The Mislabeled Child by Brock and Fernette Eide.

Well, the little reading I did said that one of the symptoms is comprehension.

But that's why I came here -- because I don't feel confident that I've been reading the right thing.

Does anyone know of a correlation between being "big for his age" and dyslexia? I heard that too.

He's tall and "sturdy." His wrists and ankles are bigger then mine and he just turned 7.

Alley

Well, the little reading I did said that one of the symptoms is comprehension.

But that's why I came here -- because I don't feel confident that I've been reading the right thing.

Does anyone know of a correlation between being "big for his age" and dyslexia? I heard that too.

He's tall and "sturdy." His wrists and ankles are bigger then mine and he just turned 7.

Alley

It's true that they often struggle with comprehension of material they read to themselves. Their listening comprehension is usually much better than their written comprehension. Sorry, I should have explained better.

Alley

Well, I know full well that two children does not a correlation make, but my son is also very large and I'm about to have him tested for dyslexia. He is 7 also and is 4-1/2 feet tall and weighs about 75-80 pounds. I'm curious as to the response you get on this one. I once helped tutor a girl with dyslexia and she was also a "big" child. Again, not a correlation but still interesting.

Ellsi ~ Yes! I haven't measured my son's height in a while, but his weight is 82 lbs. (We have tall grandparents and we're tall enough.)

I once heard there's a correlation, but I can't seem to find anything definite on it.

Thank you, Perry, you're the best!

Thanks for all the responses!!

Alley

Ellie,

We're doing very basic BOB books.

Writing with Ease and the Spelling Workout.

No, I'm not a pro at teaching reading, but his brother picked it up so effortlessly that I just figured what I was doing was working.

Obviously I was wrong.

I also read aloud a ton -- and I think my other boy was following along on the page as I read.

I've heard Explode the Code is great and I'd like to give it a try. I'm completely open to the idea that he doesn't have dyslexia at all, but is just slower to learn.

Alley

Ellie,

We're doing very basic BOB books.

Writing with Ease and the Spelling Workout.

No, I'm not a pro at teaching reading, but his brother picked it up so effortlessly that I just figured what I was doing was working.

Obviously I was wrong.

I also read aloud a ton -- and I think my other boy was following along on the page as I read.

I've heard Explode the Code is great and I'd like to give it a try. I'm completely open to the idea that he doesn't have dyslexia at all, but is just slower to learn.

Alley

My favorite curriculum for struggling readers is ABeCeDarian and the I See Sam books. They are very easy to use and Michael Bend (ABCD creator) is very helpful.

My almost 9 yo is 51" tall and weighs 44 lbs -- and has dyslexia. My nephews who have dyslexia are not large either. I've never heard of a correlation between size and dyslexia.

My favorite website about dyslexia is http://www.dys-add.com.

My favorite books are The Everything Parents Guide to Dyslexia by Abigail Marshall, The Mislabeled Child by Brock and Fernette Eide, and Upside Down Brilliance by Linda Silverman.

For someone who is visual-spatial (http://www.visualspatial.org), teaching reading by sight and then adding some phonics will work out okay, because the sight words give them the context to understand the rules. For a kid who is truly dyslexic, I would not teach by sight because it will almost always be counter-productive in the long run. The above website has a section about teaching reading and spelling to dyslexics. The website's owner has written a program, but she has a list of other OG programs too.

You all are awesome!!!

Question: what about this issue of getting him tested? Again, the private people are so pricey -- but of course my ds is worth it if it's necessary.

My hs friend told me not to get involved w/ the school district (which had been my plan for testing).

What are your thoughts on testing?

Alley

You all are awesome!!!

Question: what about this issue of getting him tested? Again, the private people are so pricey -- but of course my ds is worth it if it's necessary.

My hs friend told me not to get involved w/ the school district (which had been my plan for testing).

Alley

I had two of my kids tested at the PsychoEducational Clinic at the local university. All of the testing was done by a psychologist who used to work at Mel Levine's clinic, All Kinds of Minds. Possibly, some of the interpretation and report-writing was done by students, but the testing itself was not. The price was cheaper than private practices, and our insurance covered part of the cost because ADHD testing was included.

Basically, I had done so much reading and research before the tests that I didn't feel like I got a lot of new information. However, I did get more details about their LDs than I could figure out on my own and affirmation that we were making the right curriculum choices. If you do some reading and research on your own and feel fairly confident about how to teach your kids, and if money is so tight that you have to choose between curriculum designed for dyslexics vs. testing, I would say skip the testing. If you can afford both testing and good curriculum, I would say the testing is worthwhile.

You all are awesome!!!

Alley

I had some testing done through the school district for my oldest dd. It was not helpful.

Several years later I took my son to the developmental pediatrician at the University of Iowa. They were very thorough, and it cost about $600. The tests helped me understand what was going on and confirmed what I already thought. The results did light a fire under my butt to remove him from the ps and put him in a private school that used Orton Gillingham. He didn't make that much progress there and we eventually homeschooled him. Ultimately, the testing didn't really change how I taught him to read, but I am glad we did it.

I would not call a 6 yr old who is not reading yet a 'slow learner'. Paiget, one of the most respected researchers (long dead) of cognitive development, put the average age of fluent reading at age 8.

Your child may have issues, he may not. What are your greatest concerns? Dylexia often has a genetic component. Does it run in your families? My dyslexic child is fine-boned and tiny, so I can't comment on that aspect.

Edited by LibraryLover

I wanted to comment on the size issue, I have never heard of any correlation between size and dyslexia but I have a 16 year old son and 9 year old daughter who both struggle with dyslexia. My son is very average in size, and in fact wears slim jeans. My 9 year old daughter is very petite and tiny, she is much, much smaller than most of her peers.

I agree, but he is having trouble sounding out letters. At 6, with previous instruction, that would concern me.

Possibly. Yet I have seen this at young ages, and then it all clicks and you would never know. I suppose calm and fun testing is OK if the seed of doubt is not planted in the child that he is inadequate.

If there are no family members with dyslexia, I would proceed with caution, because well, I am a cautious person.

I would need more info before I get on the outgoing boat. :) That's all. The fact is, most kids are not readng by 6, even with tons of instruction about letter sounds.

I am going to trust that the OP has a gut instinct that something is amiss, even though statistics show that there is probably nothing amiss. She knows if there are other issues beyond reading, and if this is an issue in the family.

Thanks again.

Sad to say, I noticed a year ago that something didn't seem to be clicking and a teacher-friend said, "there's no way he has it."

She was just trying to be supportive, but I should have ignored her and looked into it further.

My boys just turned 7 -- so they're not 6 anymore.

Thanks, Perry! I've already ordered I See Sam and the Shawitz book.

I also ordered the Mislabeled Child.

Alley

Possibly. Yet I have seen this at young ages, and then it all clicks and you would never know. I suppose calm and fun testing is OK if the seed of doubt is not planted in the child that he is inadequate.

If there are no family members with dyslexia, I would proceed with caution, because well, I am a cautious person.

I would need more info before I get on the outgoing boat. :) That's all. The fact is, most kids are not readng by 6, even with tons of instruction about letter sounds.

I am going to trust that the OP has a gut instinct that something is amiss, even though statistics show that there is probably nothing amiss. She knows if there are other issues beyond reading, and if this is an issue in the family.

I would be watching carefully but not seeking a diagnosis just yet. I wanted to add that my dyslexic is a big guy. He was a little chubby before puberty. Now he is big and muscular - like a linebacker.

He was dysgraphic as well.

Could not spell "the" at age 12.

Was the "Worst I have ever seen" according to his special ed teacher in 2nd.

Could not tie his shoelaces until age 13.

Now...

He is on the Junior Honor Society.

Made 100% on the state reading test.

His writing/spelling is...not great.

Loves public school after 6.5 years of homeschooling.

What worked for us was Barton Reading.

Good luck!

Thanks again.

Sad to say, I noticed a year ago that something didn't seem to be clicking and a teacher-friend said, "there's no way he has it."

She was just trying to be supportive, but I should have ignored her and looked into it further.

With my 16 year old I noticed he was having problems when he started K. His teachers, my mom, everyone told me that it was just his age - not to worry about it. I was a first-time mom and young so I went along with it, but I KNEW something wasn't right. I let it go, and it was 3rd grade before I finally convinced someone else that "something" wasn't right. After lots and lots of testing we were able to diagnose him as dyslexic. With my 9 year old I recognized the symptoms right away, and didn't waste any time getting her help. I think that as moms we know when something is off. I say trust your mommy-instincts!

Library Lover ~ I really appreciate your calm and caution.

My dh's brother is dyslexic enough that he dropped out of school at essentially the 9th grade and his dumb mom didn't intervene. He's 50 now and doing miserably.

He's can't read and is just now going to school to learn. The poor guy.

So that's on my mind.

I think this could go either way: you could be correct that I'm sounding the alarm too soon and, then again, he might have a mild form of dyslexia.

What concerns me is that he comprehends super complex books and started at the beginning of age 5 making huge comprehension leaps. A couple of them floored me.

That ability is supposed to be one of the strengths that comes w/ dyslexia.

Thank you all. I've ordered every book mentioned on here.

Thank you, thank you.

Alley

My feeling, honestly, is to trust your gut. Recently, I just read something interesting in a book that often learning disabilities are revealed when kids start school because a parent has a sense of their child's intrinsic intelligence, and then school reports the exact opposite based on standard reading and writing assessments. This was my experience of ds in kindergarten, and then we homeschooled after that. But, in your case, you are seeing his reading/ writing are not aligned with what you perceive his intrinsic abilities.

I knew something was up by the time ds was 7yo. It was all so asynchronous-- his ability to comprehend (like your ds) complicated material but the absolute inability to read the word "the" after much explicit instruction. I followed the advice of many, wait and see. But I knew that ds was dyslexic.

As far as a diagnosis, we have never done this. We finally started dealing with the dyslexia when ds was 9. In our case, instead of getting an exact diagnosis, we began re-mediating reading and vision therapy. This year, as ds turns 11, we are finally seeking a diagnosis as I am wanting more input about where to go next for curriculum choices. So I can't tell you if having a diagnosis first is helpful or not.

Ultimately, if your child is struggling with reading, you will do what it takes to help him learn and seek out appropriate resources.

ETA: Just for the data, ds has always been an average size kid (50 percentile in height and weight). My BILs (both dyslexic) are slightly taller than average (both over 6 ft), and of average weight.

I wanted to comment on the size issue, I have never heard of any correlation between size and dyslexia but I have a 16 year old son and 9 year old daughter who both struggle with dyslexia. My son is very average in size, and in fact wears slim jeans. My 9 year old daughter is very petite and tiny, she is much, much smaller than most of her peers.

:iagree: My dd has dyslexia and she is also very small. She is much, much smaller than her peers. She will be 9 in June and is 48" tall and weighs 52.5 lbs. She is only in the 7th% in height and 12% in weight.

I have also never heard or read about a child's size being associated with dyslexia.