Menu

Let me know why you like your chosen Latin program

Cami in UT

I'm looking at my Latin options. I have actually started my ds 9 on Prima Latina but not sure about continuing with LC1 or switching to something else. He is okay with it but not too thrilled. We started a year ago but it fizzled out and we have just restarted it. He learns easily by reading and some discussion. But I also have a ds 7 coming up and he needs a lot more repetition then his brother does. Any recommendations for that kind of learner?

I have looked at Lively Latin and Galore Park. I'm thinking I still want to research Latin for Children and also see if Latin Christiana is basically like PL.

But I'm wondering how the different programs translate into lessons? Is it everyday, three times a week or something else? Do you just do one part of a big lesson each time or the whole lesson? How long does it seem to usually take? Are your children retaining the lessons? And finally how pick up and go is it?

Any answers with personal experience would be helpful. I understand that every home is different but I like knowing how people do things, it makes my planning easier to have a jumping off point.

Did not like Prima Latina myself, we used Latin Primer for a while, but it was very teacher driven, requiring more motivation and creativity on my part. We started Lively Latin 3 weeks ago, and it has been such a great change. It teaches effeciently, grammatically and creatively, includes history, art study and derivative studies that have been great, and very low key for me - we are loving it! Anne Marie

We do Latin Prep twice a week, for half an hour each time. In addition, Calvin does two fifteen-minute memorisation sessions on his own.

In our lessons we usually do one exercise each time. We used to do the whole thing orally, snuggled on the sofa. These days we alternate oral and written. We get through just under one book a year - I'm in no rush.

I like Latin Prep because it's rigorous but fun, very thorough and logical, and starts translation English/Latin and Latin/English from the first chapter.

Best wishes

Laura

We are using Latin for Children B and did A last year.

I like it because it's easy for me to teach without Latin background. DD and I like it because the DVDs help us get good pronunciation and are very enriching, the activities are fun, there are good stories in the History Reader and we are learning lots!

I think Lively Latin looks interesting, but haven't had much experience with it. I am reading through Galore Prep right now and so far love it. But my favorite program, hands down, for ages 4th-7th grade (roughly) is a new program that is about to be published by a friend of mine called "Great Latin Adventures." I've taught it for two and a half years now at our co-op. She takes a different approach to teaching Latin grammar by only teaching first declension nouns and first conjugation verbs in this beginning course. This allows the students to do so much more grammatically, and gives them great success by giving them a few less details to think about in their translations. And if you think about it, that's what Latin is - details, details, details. Which of course is one of the reasons I think it is great for students to learn - it's great building power for their brain skills. But by not having just those few extra details to think about, I've seen the students do very very well with this program. It's two years long, and by the end the students are translating pretty complicated sentences that involve predicate nominatives, prepositional phrases, adjectives, direct objects, all kinds of things! Another big bonus to the program is a fantastic worksheet on derivatives included in each chapter that is a great vocabulary builder.

I can't wait until she has it ready for the public! She includes teaching notes for each chapter that make it "very pick up and go." I do believe it's almost ready. And I think it's a great preparation program to use before Latin Prep. As I said, I'm reading through that now, and I think our co-op is going to use Latin Prep right after our 4th and 5th graders go through Great Latin Adventures.

And I think she might be open to sending samples or even selling a copy or two to interested parties - I'll check with her to see what the status of that is.

I hope you find what you're looking for! I think Latin is SO much fun, and great brain food!

We are currently using Lively Latin. Before that my dd completed PL and LC I.

What I like most about Lively Latin:

* fully integrated English grammar instruction

* incremental introduction of grammar concepts

* integrated history, art, and character studies

* lots of repetition and review

* largely self-teaching

The last one is a perk I don't need, but it would be extremely helpful for someone with no Latin background. I'm very impressed with this program.

We are using Lively Latin for 1st after Prima Latina in K, PL was a lovely, gentle, easy start and we enjoyed memorizing the prayers. Once LL came out though I was hooked on it for the younger set. Pick up and go and had all the elements I like in other programs all in one.

For 6th, after LFC A and B we are using Galore Park. I absolutely love it. It fixed my biggest gripe with LFC which was lack of actually using what she was learning. I think she has gotten more out of the 1st 5 chapters of Latin Prep than 2 years of LFC. She is much more capable of working with translation and reading than she was going into it.

I liked LFC for many reasons and there is a ton of memorized vocabulary and chants in my daughters head from it for which I am grateful BUT she didn't really learn how to take all that and use it, know what I mean?

Amy - Do you think the Latin program would be okay for a third grader with no previous Latin experience?

Thank you for all of the people who have posted I am just starting to think maybe we should add Latin to our day. I just need to convince my husband and my dd that it would be worth it. I took Latin in high school, but I don't remember any of it so I want something very simple.

Jan

My very favorite Latin curriculum is Latin at Home by JennifersLost, fka Jennifer GWOTW. It explains the grammar being taught, all the necessary drill and repetition is built into the program, it doesn't move too fast or too slow. I keep hoping that if I brag on her program enough, she will finish the remaining volumes. :) But I suppose with all the new Latin curricula out there, it might be tough to continue profitably.

My middle dd is using Latin Primer with the DVDs. It works well for her because she's a very visual learner and the DVD component really helps her to enjoy and remember the lessons. The program moves slowly enough that she is not overwhelmed (she is easily frustrated).

I like Prima Latina for a very easy introduction for a younger student.

My oldest dd enjoys Ecce Romani, but I think it would work much better if she had a teacher who knows Latin. It moves fast. Since it's reading based, she has to be careful to write and study the grammar as it's taught. Otherwise, she'll progress a few lessons and then hit a wall.

The one program we used and hated was Latina Christiana. It's basically a "memorize this chant and don't worry about what it means" kind of curriculum. You would think the concepts would be explained in the TM, but they're not.

I have not found any modern Latin programs that teach English grammar well enough to use Latin as a substitute for English grammar (imo). However, there are several out-of-copyright textbooks available free on the internet that teach English grammar explicitly and well alongside the Latin. My favorite is Latin for Beginners. I used it for awhile with my oldest dd, but she didn't not like the fact that the book has no color. Her interest level is high with Ecce Romani, so that's what she using currently.

HTH

Thank you so much everyone! You all came through great. I love knowing why people like the programs they are using. My boy and I are looking at the different options to find our best fit.

And Classic Mom, I actually live in Clinton so I'm literally a jump, hop and a skip from Ogden.:)

<<Amy - Do you think the Latin program would be okay for a third grader with no previous Latin experience? >>

Hi JG Puppy -

Unfortunately, no, probably not, although I have to say that the author actually does think that 3rd graders can do the program, I strongly disagree with her. I've tried the program with 3rd graders and they start to get lost as soon as we introduce the present tense and start to work with those endings. I really think it's perfect to start it with 5th graders and brighter 4th graders.

I really can't wait until she has it widely available, and I can point you all to her website!

We are using Latin for Children B and did A last year.

I like it because it's easy for me to teach without Latin background. DD and I like it because the DVDs help us get good pronunciation and are very enriching, the activities are fun, there are good stories in the History Reader and we are learning lots!

These are the exact same reasons we love Latin for Children. I had some Latin in college, but I have probably learned more this year that stuck while listening in on my kids LFC A lessons.

...it has given my dc a light, fun introduction to Latin. Hopefully, when we jump into a more involved program they will continue to enjoy the language. I thought if we started with something dry and boring they might see it as a chore rather than a privledge.

I am using Getting Started in Latin, by William Linney, and like it vvery much. My ds is 11. It is a very simple workbook, very straightforward presentation of grammar and vocabulary, no art, culture or history. It has about 135 lessons, and we will probably complete it in one year, but it might take longer. We do it almost daily, and it takes 5-20 minutes. I love this program! It is available on Amazon.com, it's about $18-20. I think my ds will be ready for something like Henle or Cambridge Latin (high school level programs) after completing it. And very much self-teaching, for the motivated. Great for me, who knows no Latin, though ds is quickly outstripping me.

I like Latin Primer. My children are finishing the third book this year. The best thing about it is, I think, that there's no busy work. No crossword puzzles to learn the vocabulary, just translations and declentions and explanations. My type of program. When we are trying to fit so many things in, I need what I choose to be efficient. Latin is our favorite subject, though, so we are enjoying it as well.

--Dawn

• 4 weeks later...

Would Galore Park users kind of clarify how to use these programs? Is the Prep program a middle school level material? would it be appropriate to give high school credit for the So You Really... series? Also, would it be appropriate to use Latin Prep I after Latina Christiana II? Thanks so much!

We have been really enjoying Latin Prep with a twelve year old. I have found, compared with Ecce Romani (the Scottish Classics Group version I was taught with myself) it is far more suitable as a self-teaching text.

My daughter has a superb memory and remembers vocabulary after one time around (I need a lot more repetition myself). We have only needed to use the textbook and needed very little review at the end of chapters so far.

I really like the sense of humour and the conversational style.

We aren't a Latin centred household and I am simply using Latin as a tool for deciphering scientific words, learning grammar, helping future learning of European Modern languages and hopefully giving the keys to the door of classical literature. We only spend two forty-fifty minutes doing Latin a week.