Menu

Reviews of lesser known works for Sutcliff, Coolidge, and Ray (x-post)

As home schooling parents many of us have read or are at least familiar with the authors Rosemary Sutcliff (The Eagle of the Ninth), Olivia Coolidge (The Greek Myths/The Trojan Wars), and Mary Ray (The Ides of April). Rosemary Sutcliff is an all-time favorite with 11 of her books in our home including the wonderful new arrival, The Hound of Ulster. My son wants to know if anyone has read her version of Beowulf and her novel, Knight's Fee? Are there any other must-haves?

Both boys love Coolidge's The Trojan War. The older one just finished her Tales of the Crusades and says he wants more, more, more of her books. Anyone read The Golden Days of Greece? We had no idea she had written so many books and we want to know if there are others we should add to our library.

My older son and I both want to read more of the books in the Roman Empire Sequence by Mary Ray. However, they are virtually impossible to find except for the two commonly used in home schooling. Has anyone read A Tent for the Sun, Sword Sleep, or Rain from the West?

And finally, if you know and enjoy these authors, is there anyone else you would recommend that is similar?

My son really enjoyed two obscure books that I've never seen mentioned anywhere but are excellent! One is entitled The Adventures (or Exploits?) of Xenophon by Geoffrey Household. We got this out of the library a couple of times, he loved it so much. It is a thrilling retelling of Xenophon's march to the sea. I think my son was 12 @ the time. After he was done with it the first time, I snatched and read it myself!

Another book he loved is I Marched with Hannibal by Hans Baumann. We found this at a used book store. Of course it tells the story of the Hannibal's march through Italy from the point of view of a Carthaginian boy.

Have you read Hittite Warrior by Joanna Williamson (I think that is the author). It doesn't have to do with Rome but I recently read it and found it a really interesting journey back into a time I had never really thought about.

I recently had a book out of the library that was kind of like Plutarch in that it had biographies of a lot of famous Romans, but it was modern. I'd like to get it again, but I've forgotten the name and author. Can anyone steer me back to this book?

We really liked Lives of Famous Romans and Men of Athens by Coolidge - they were like Plutarch's Lives Lite! We also liked her Caesar's Gallic Wars.

This means I will be pushing the button today!:D We have used some of The Famous Men of Greece and we just don't love it as much as I thought we would given its popularity on the board. The thought of using The Famous Men of Rome doesn't thrill me so I'm delighted to see a thumbs-up for Coolidge's Romans book. I did have Caesar's Gallic Wars and am looking forward to using it.

My son really enjoyed two obscure books that I've never seen mentioned anywhere but are excellent! One is entitled The Adventures (or Exploits?) of Xenophon by Geoffrey Household. We got this out of the library a couple of times, he loved it so much. It is a thrilling retelling of Xenophon's march to the sea. I think my son was 12 @ the time. After he was done with it the first time, I snatched and read it myself!

Another book he loved is I Marched with Hannibal by Hans Baumann. We found this at a used book store. Of course it tells the story of the Hannibal's march through Italy from the point of view of a Carthaginian boy.

I feel like a small child that has been denied. The Exploits of Xenophon looks like a great book. Our library does not carry it and since it is a vintage Landmark book, the cheapest I can get it is $37 but the usual prices range $50- $275. I am one sad girl. However, I Marched with Hannibal is available. This was on another list I was checking out so thank you for the confirmation that it is a good book.

Have you read Hittite Warrior by Joanna Williamson (I think that is the author). It doesn't have to do with Rome but I recently read it and found it a really interesting journey back into a time I had never really thought about.

We did read Hittite Warrior. The first time I read it with my older son, I thought it was okay. This year when I read it with my youngest, I made sure we both had a good grasp of the historical context before starting it. The book starts slowly but by the end, my son was begging for more. It will stay on our library shelves along with God King.

I recently had a book out of the library that was kind of like Plutarch in that it had biographies of a lot of famous Romans, but it was modern. I'd like to get it again, but I've forgotten the name and author. Can anyone steer me back to this book?

Sorry, I can't help you with that one, but maybe someone else can.

My son and I loved Sutcliffe's Beowulf!

Hurrah! I started reading Sutcliff's The Hound of Ulster last night and could not put it down. It's a Celtic tale of Cuchulain, the Champion of Ulster. In her Author's Note, Sutcliff explains the cultural and literary differences between Beowulf as Anglo-Saxon and Cuchulain as Celtic. I think I see the makings of an interesting literary analysis paper. The only way that will happen of course is if I purchase Beowulf.:D

Cuchulain! Cool! We're getting ready to read Flame-coloured Taffeta, so I'll let you know.... Here's a bibliography of her works, in case you don't already have it (or for the sake of others reading):

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/rosemary-sutcliff/

I believe Coolidge's telling of the Iliad is my favorite ever, because of all the side stories. Here's a review of Caesar's Gallic War that highly recommends it: http://www.shoestringpress.com/books/caesarswar.html

I'm betting they're all good.

It sounds like Ray's entire series would be terrific, too! Here's a review at Bethlehem Books, the original publisher:

http://www.bethlehembooks.com/author_details.cfm?ID=105&user=

Most of these have been out of print so long that they are pretty pricey at places like Amazon.com. I'd try obtaining them through inter-library loan. I got some really great old books through my ILL system this past year.....

Cuchulain! Cool! We're getting ready to read Flame-coloured Taffeta, so I'll let you know.... Here's a bibliography of her works, in case you don't already have it (or for the sake of others reading):

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/rosemary-sutcliff/

I believe Coolidge's telling of the Iliad is my favorite ever, because of all the side stories. Here's a review of Caesar's Gallic War that highly recommends it: http://www.shoestringpress.com/books/caesarswar.html

I'm betting they're all good.

It sounds like Ray's entire series would be terrific, too! Here's a review at Bethlehem Books, the original publisher:

http://www.bethlehembooks.com/author_details.cfm?ID=105&user=

Most of these have been out of print so long that they are pretty pricey at places like Amazon.com. I'd try obtaining them through inter-library loan. I got some really great old books through my ILL system this past year.....

Regena, thank you for the bibliography. I had been working off of a chronological list on Amazon for Sutcliff. There were several books that I could not find a synopsis for, so this is most helpful. Our county inter-library system only offers the two Mary Ray books that I already have. Each year for my birthday my mother gives me a unique book or books, usually first editions. I'm not sure what she'll think of a request for children's books that are only located in the UK.:D

Eliana, thank you for the incredible gift of this list. You understood exactly the type of writing and authors that I was looking for. When we started homeschooling, I was a bit taken aback at the majority insistence of using mostly older books. My experience had been that older doesn't always mean better. I had the privilege of working with a wonderful children's librarian for several years and was exposed to some stellar contemporary books. Sutcliff, Coolidge, Green, and the others weren't even on my radar. Now, it seems as though we are making up for lost time. Feeding our penchant for historical fiction has almost become a hobby. Of course, studying the history alongside makes reading these books even more gratifying.

All I can offer you in exchange for the wealth of information and possibilities is to add that Sutcliff's Frontier Wolf and Coolidge's Tales from the Crusades are both well worth the investment.

It is a shame so many of these fine books are OOP.

Guest Marcus

re Sutcliff books: My favorite has always been The Armourer's House ......

I came across this thread; amd thought one or two of reader/writers might find www.rosemarysutcliff.wordpress.com interesting and useful? It does have complete listings of all her books amongst other things; it is not a shop or commercial site.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Margaret D.

You may be interested in the article on Rosemary Sutcliff at www.HistoricalNovels.info. While it doesn't cover every single young people's novel she wrote, it's a good overview. The author of this article recently submitted a review of one of Sutcliff's less-often-read YA novels, Bonnie Dundee, set in Scotland during the first Jacobite Rising (a later Jacobite Rising is associated with "Bonnie Prince Charlie"). The review will be posted May 6 - check the blog beginning May 6 for the link.

Sutcliff's novels are fantastic - and partly responsible for my deep fascination with history, since I read many of them myself as a teen.

There's a new YA section on the HNI website which is not yet complete, but which does now have pages of listings for novels set in Ancient History through the 18th century.

As home schooling parents many of us have read or are at least familiar with the authors Rosemary Sutcliff (The Eagle of the Ninth), Olivia Coolidge (The Greek Myths/The Trojan Wars), and Mary Ray (The Ides of April). Rosemary Sutcliff is an all-time favorite with 11 of her books in our home including the wonderful new arrival, The Hound of Ulster. My son wants to know if anyone has read her version of Beowulf and her novel, Knight's Fee? Are there any other must-haves?

Both boys love Coolidge's The Trojan War. The older one just finished her Tales of the Crusades and says he wants more, more, more of her books. Anyone read The Golden Days of Greece? We had no idea she had written so many books and we want to know if there are others we should add to our library.

My older son and I both want to read more of the books in the Roman Empire Sequence by Mary Ray. However, they are virtually impossible to find except for the two commonly used in home schooling. Has anyone read A Tent for the Sun, Sword Sleep, or Rain from the West?

And finally, if you know and enjoy these authors, is there anyone else you would recommend that is similar?

I think I've probably read just about all of Sutcliff's books except one obscure one that I only have in German and haven't gotten around to. I'd say that in general the stories that aren't so well known are darker. Knight's Fee was a pretty good read. I also liked Frontier Wolf, The Mark of the Horse Lord and The Silver Branch. The Silver Branch is almost a post-apocalyptic story in that the Roman influence over Britain has pretty much fallen apart and the main characters are struggling to find a sanctuary.

She wrote a couple set in viking times, The Shield Ring and Sword Song. I enjoyed these too.

Probably the only ones that come with real warning flags are Song for a Dark Queen and Sword at Sunset. Dark Queen is a dark story that includes mention of violence toward women, both by the Romans and by the Brits. It is true to the story of Boudica, but is still perhaps not what you would anticipate in a youth book. Sword at Sunset is well done. I might have served as the basis for the Arthur movie a few years ago that featured Guenivere as a blue painted Celt. But it was written as an adult novel and may contain themes that some youth aren't ready for.

I'm not a huge fan of Tristain and Iseult, just because I'm not so fond of that story, since it revolves around justifying adultery. Having said that, Sutcliff's version at least tries to reframe the story such that Iseult had already fallen for Tristain before being married off to King Mark. Actually, one of the reasons that I like Sutcliff's Arthur trilogy is that Lancelot so clearly pays consequences for his adultery with Guenivere, something that doesn't always come through in other retellings of Camelot.

• 1 month later...

There are so many great recommendations for books on here and I am grateful. You all have inspired us to seek out new-to-us authors and to add more books by favorite authors. However, no one was able to answer my questions with regards to Mary Ray, so I had to do a little researching, shopping and reading to answer my own question.

I was unable to find any biographical information for Ray, but there is a Fantastic Fiction page that shows her works. Some of you may be familiar with her only two books that are still in print: The Ides of April and Beyond the Desert Gate which are both published by Bethlehem Books. The volumes are part of Ray's Roman Empire Sequence which contains 5 books. All I wanted to do was find out what came before and what happened after those two books. That seems like such a simple desire.:lol: I still don't have those answers but am the happy owner of 6 additional Mary Ray novels.

I don't have a gift for writing reviews, so I'll adapt Eliana's idea of utilizing jacket flaps and other reviews where I can find them.

Song of Thunder

From the jacket flap: About 1450 B.C. a small island in the Aegean was destroyed by a volcanic eruption of extraordinary violence; tidal waves caused by the explosion reached as far as the northern coast of Crete. We call the island Santorini, but to those who lived there before its destruction it was Kalliste, the beautiful.

Mary Ray has taken this disaster as the climax of the story of Kenofer the bard and his sister Theano. They were among the few survivors of the earthquake which had already devastated Kalliste five years before the eruption. They found a home in Crete till fresh trouble till fresh trouble made them wanderers again, this time in the company of the young prince Asterion. All three seem marked out for misfortune, but the God who inspired Kenofer's music and had protected him in the prison of the Governor of Kalliste was still with him.

In all her work Mary Ray shows an unusual power of bringing the distant past to life, but she is particularly at home with the early Greek civilizations, and this vivid and moving novel is perhaps her finest achievement yet.

We really enjoyed this novel and my only regret is that we didn't have it on hand when we were studying ancient Crete.

I just bought The Ides of April and Beyond the Desert Gate. What are the other books in this sequence? Is Ides of April the first? Can we read just those two and be satisfied and not lost?

I have a compulsion to buy sets of things. I always have. It takes all my self-control to not purchase every book an author does. I can kind of calm my compulsion by purchasing a series.

I've got a bunch of Sutcliff saved to my Amazon wishlist for next year. I've already trimmed it twice. It's still way too big.

Edited by Shawna in Texas
Forgot a question

Mary Ray has taken this disaster as the climax of the story of Kenofer the bard and his sister Theano. They were among the few survivors of the earthquake which had already devastated Kalliste five years before the eruption. They found a home in Crete till fresh trouble made them wanderers again,

We really enjoyed this novel and my only regret is that we didn't have it on hand when we were studying ancient Crete.

This sounds like a cool book, and I may have to add it to the list even though I'm also going to have my kids watch a very cool PBS Documentary called "Sinking Atlantis" that tells about new archaeological evidence found in Crete that seems to show that the tidal wave from the Santorini explosion was so large and devastating that it pretty much wiped out the civilization on Crete in one fell swoop on the same day... it'd still be a good chance to discuss how our understanding of the past keeps changing with new discoveries... (and I have a hard time passing up any book on a period I don't have much material for!)

How are we ever going to get through history with all these cool books to read?? :tongue_smilie:

I was unable to find any biographical information for Ray, but there is a Fantastic Fiction page that shows her works. Some of you may be familiar with her only two books that are still in print: The Ides of April and Beyond the Desert Gate which are both published by Bethlehem Books. The volumes are part of Ray's Roman Empire Sequence which contains 5 books. All I wanted to do was find out what came before and what happened after those two books. That seems like such a simple desire.:lol: I still don't have those answers but am the happy owner of 6 additional Mary Ray novels.

I have Mary Ray's Ides of April and Beyond the Desert Gate. I also got another in the sequence from paperbackswap entitled Rain from the West. From the back flap it says :

"Rain from the West is the last story in a linked sequence of novels about early Christianity under the Roman Empire. The four earlier books are:

A Tent for the Sun

The Ides of April

Sword Sleep

Beyond the Desert Gate"

I'm assuming they are listed in order. I see they are listed in this same order opposite the title page under the heading A Roman Empire Sequence. Oh you know what, this list is also given in the front of my Bethlehem reprints. Was this the information you were looking for?

I wonder why Bethlehem Books only reprinted 2 of them instead of the whole series.

Here's some more information about Mary Ray and this particular series at Bethlehem Books website. Maybe they will eventually get the whole series reprinted. I was just looking at amazon's used prices. Woah!! Can't believe I scored Rain from the West for the cost of shipping.

http://www.bethlehembooks.com/author_details.cfm?ID=105&user=761107103

Here's some more information about Mary Ray and this particular series at Bethlehem Books website. Maybe they will eventually get the whole series reprinted. I was just looking at amazon's used prices. Woah!! Can't believe I scored Rain from the West for the cost of shipping.

http://www.bethlehembooks.com/author_details.cfm?ID=105&user=761107103

You are one lucky woman. Rain from the West is one of the hardest and most expensive of her books to find. I am green with envy. Then again, at least you can still get it. I could not find a single copy of Sword Sleep for any price. I have:

A Tent for the Sun

The Golden Bees

The Voice of Apollo (love this one)

The Eastern Beacon

Standing Lions

Song of Thunder

The Ides of April

Beyond the Desert Gate

I really appreciate the link for Ray's biography. Thank you.

ETA: Regena, I somehow missed that you had linked this info for me earlier. Should have known! Thanks,

Edited by swimmermom3

I just bought The Ides of April and Beyond the Desert Gate. What are the other books in this sequence? Is Ides of April the first? Can we read just those two and be satisfied and not lost?

I have a compulsion to buy sets of things. I always have. It takes all my self-control to not purchase every book an author does. I can kind of calm my compulsion by purchasing a series.

I've got a bunch of Sutcliff saved to my Amazon wishlist for next year. I've already trimmed it twice. It's still way too big.

Shawna, read The Ides of April firstand then Beyond the Desert Gate. Swimmer Dude did not read these this year as he will cover them in 9th grade. Your children may enjoy them as a read aloud but the writing and thought level is more sophisticated than say The Bronze Bow.

The two books mentioned above were part of a Sonlight core. My older son and I read them together and while we appreciated the history and level of writing, I can't say that we were wildly enamored.

The same compulsion you mentioned is the reason I sought out more of Ray's books. The first one I found is The Eastern Beacon and my older son was completely sucked into the story.

From the jacket flap for The Eastern Beacon:

"In the year A.D. 296, Helena, a young Greek girl, sailed away from the Roman province of Corinth. Aboard the trading ship Arethusa, she and her family were bound for the far-off land of Britain, which people said lay shrouded in mist on the very edge of the world.

But the ship was wrecked, Helena's relatives drowned, and she, with a young boy, Fabius, was cast ashore at Sullya-Scilly-where they become slaves.

The people of Sullya were dour and unfriendly. They believed that the children would bring them bad luck. And when the bride of the chief's son fell to her death from the rugged and desolate cliff, Dun Gwartha, the children were blamed. They were banished to the Eastern Beacon, where their task was to keep watch and to light the beacon fire if invaders came."

***And I am not going to give you the last paragraph so you know what happens.:D

"Written with the assurance and imaginative insight which Mary Ray showed so strongly in The Voice of Apollo, this is a story of real distinction. It will confirm the author as one of the most gifted young writers of historical fiction today."

*** I wouldn't include the publisher's note above except that I respect Farrar, Straus and Giroux as one of the outstanding publishers of childrens' literature at that time.

This is not part of the Roman Empire Sequence.

Shawna, read The Ides of April firstand then Beyond the Desert Gate. Swimmer Dude did not read these this year as he will cover them in 9th grade. Your children may enjoy them as a read aloud but the writing and thought level is more sophisticated than say The Bronze Bow.

The two books mentioned above were part of a Sonlight core. My older son and I read them together and while we appreciated the history and level of writing, I can't say that we were wildly enamored.

The same compulsion you mentioned is the reason I sought out more of Ray's books. The first one I found is The Eastern Beacon and my older son was completely sucked into the story.

From the jacket flap for The Eastern Beacon:

"In the year A.D. 296, Helena, a young Greek girl, sailed away from the Roman province of Corinth. Aboard the trading ship Arethusa, she and her family were bound for the far-off land of Britain, which people said lay shrouded in mist on the very edge of the world.

But the ship was wrecked, Helena's relatives drowned, and she, with a young boy, Fabius, was cast ashore at Sullya-Scilly-where they become slaves.

The people of Sullya were dour and unfriendly. They believed that the children would bring them bad luck. And when the bride of the chief's son fell to her death from the rugged and desolate cliff, Dun Gwartha, the children were blamed. They were banished to the Eastern Beacon, where their task was to keep watch and to light the beacon fire if invaders came."

***And I am not going to give you the last paragraph so you know what happens.:D

"Written with the assurance and imaginative insight which Mary Ray showed so strongly in The Voice of Apollo, this is a story of real distinction. It will confirm the author as one of the most gifted young writers of historical fiction today."

*** I wouldn't include the publisher's note above except that I respect Farrar, Straus and Giroux as one of the outstanding publishers of childrens' literature at that time.

This is not part of the Roman Empire Sequence.

Hmmm. I think I'll save The Ides of April and Beyond the Desert Gate for 9th, since we've started The Roman Mysteries series. That way maybe I can collect the rest.

But, I just bought The Voice of Apollo and The Eastern Beacon. :blush: I may fit those in before September.

Hmmm. I think I'll save The Ides of April and Beyond the Desert Gate for 9th, since we've started The Roman Mysteries series. That way maybe I can collect the rest.

But, I just bought The Voice of Apollo and The Eastern Beacon. :blush: I may fit those in before September.

The Voice of Apollo is one of my favorites! Please let me know what you think of it. I had this moment of sheer panic after I started commenting on Ray that perhaps my enthusiasm for this type of historical fiction overshadowed my literary judgment.:tongue_smilie: I should also clarify that for me, books like Ides of April were significantly better on the second reading or perhaps it was that my historical knowledge was on a higher level than the first time I read the book. This was true for not just Ray's books either.

Lisa - who is thinking she should have finished her Mary Ray collection before posting on here.:D Ray is just too good not to share.

I don't know why I didn't see this before. We've used 5 or 6 of Coolidge's works for ancients (before Rome, we haven't started the Roman ones yet) and each were well loved. There was that thread about Caesar's Gallic War a little while ago, about it not being very good/too boring, but I got it anyway. We're on a short break now, so I should read it, but I still have another week.

Here's another link about Mary Ray.

How much of her work focuses on Xtian themes/history?

It seems that the 5 book series does, but what about the others?

Eliana, this is a good question that in my mind does not have a clear-cut answer. At best, I can give you my reactions to the works. Perhaps it would make sense to tell you first where I am coming from as a reader. Our family background includes Catholic schools on my side and Presbyterian mission work on my husband's. While there is a basic respect for both sides I would not describe us as a Christian family.There is a belief in a greater being or spirit and that one should try to live right with the world in respecting your fellow man, environment and self. All of my children are fascinated by world religions and we study them to the best of my limited abilities. Given this, I may be less sensitive to certain issues.

In Ray's Song of Thunder, Kenofer, the main character, is compelled strongly by his love of music. Early in the book, Kenofir has spied a shipwreck survivor being escorted into town and his friend tells Kenofer that it is a famous bard. This is his response:

Kenofer felt something jerk inside him as if he had been struck. There was sweat on his forehead, drying cold in the wind. He said, not to Phormio but to himself and to the God whose hand was still over his hands, "The Master of the House of Singing Birds!" pg. 19.

When I first saw this, I was disappointed. The book is set in a time of polytheism and to have a singular "God" that is capitalized seemed inappropriate. I am rather unforgiving of authors who take such liberties in historical fiction, especially to propagate their own belief system. And this isn't the only book Ray uses "God" in; it appears frequently in The Voice of Apollo. In reading the entire books, I have come to interpret it to mean the "One" who guides that particular protagonist. Perhaps the Muse who pushes the character to run or to play the lyre? Perhaps in a polytheistic culture, people still felt closer to one god. There is a strong sense of Spirit in some of her books. Others simply tell a story.

I am sure I am missing subtleties here - such as the use of capital god. Does any of this make sense? Eliana, I don't have the gift for describing literature no matter how passionate I am about it. You see, I love to discuss things in books just like this very question and my kids are willing vict...I mean students.:D Any insights you have, would be appreciated, especially with regards to a pre-Xtian perspective.

Maybe someone has already mentioned this...on their Facebook page Bethlehem Books posted:

"Since we love to reprint good books for children and young adults, we would like to know what book titles you would like to see back in print. We can't promise that we will reprint them, but it would be great to know what titles you think are worth reprinting." (May 13th).

Maybe someone has already mentioned this...on their Facebook page Bethlehem Books posted:

"Since we love to reprint good books for children and young adults, we would like to know what book titles you would like to see back in print. We can't promise that we will reprint them, but it would be great to know what titles you think are worth reprinting." (May 13th).

Polly, thanks for this note. I would be happy to make suggestions.:D I think American Homeschool Publishing also does the same thing.

For anyone who loves well-written historical fiction, you really need to check out the works mentioned in Eliana's posts. I sound terribly pushy, don't I? :tongue_smilie: I would love to have somebody to discuss some of these books with.

For anyone who loves well-written historical fiction, you really need to check out the works mentioned in Eliana's posts. I sound terribly pushy, don't I? :tongue_smilie: I would love to have somebody to discuss some of these books with.

I'm sorry, but now you and Ester have got me started on Don Quixote. Make up your mind, woman! ;)

So, have you ordered your Don Quixote yet?? :D