Menu

Government & Economics for 9th Grade?

I wanted to give my dd a "break" from history for 9th grade by having her complete Gov't and Economics during this year. Many schedules (here and ps) show completing these two classes in 12th grade. So, now I'm second guessing myself. Is it more than possible that a 9th grader will grasp these concepts? She would be using Notgrass's American Gov't (I haven't figured out the Econ one yet.)

Why a state board of education schedules civics and economics for grade 12, I do not know.

My own reason for postponing these subjects until 12th grade is that I believe the issues are much better understood if the student already has a solid bed of high school level U.S. and world history to serve as a context for what, otherwise, can seem sterile theories. Civics and economics are born within the living context of history.

The classic work, The Wordly Philosophers was assigned to our economics class in 12th grade. Reading about economic theory "in living practice" influenced me so heavily that I ended up majoring in one of the subsets of intellectual history as an undergraduate.

HTH, if only a little. :)

I wanted to give my dd a "break" from history for 9th grade by having her complete Gov't and Economics during this year. Many schedules (here and ps) show completing these two classes in 12th grade. So, now I'm second guessing myself. Is it more than possible that a 9th grader will grasp these concepts? She would be using Notgrass's American Gov't (I haven't figured out the Econ one yet.)

Notgrass now has a semester-long Econ course.

Thahk you for the help. I will revisit my dd's tentative schedule.

I was going to have her just go along her merry way and complete history/lit TWTM way. But next year is early modern for us and she's not quite up to reading "Common Sense", "Federalist Papers" etc. That and we had decided to do Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings (she's most excited about). So, I thought this might be a good way to get Econ and Govt out of the way. But I will now reconsider.

My rising 9th grader is slated to take an online AP US Govt. course next year. Locally, many 9th graders are taking AP govt. and have been quite successful. We're choosing to postpone World and American history for her so that she's more prepared to tackle the cooresponding Lit. We'll do an intro. Literary Analysis class next year and work some more on writing to help her get ready. We plan to use Notgrass later for World and American. We'll try to fit in Econ. later down the line as well.

My dd took AP US Gov last year as a 9th grader and did very well. I loved studying government during an election year and this year coming up should be a doozy. It will be fascinating to study US government while watching the mid-term elections, voting shifts/patterns, and manueverings of Congress. Oh! And a Supreme Court justice nomination! And some wonderful state's rights vs. federal powers cases coming out of health care. Yes, this should be a great year for government study.

Enjoy,

Lisa

We do a combination of things for government, but my dc LOVE Teen Pact. It is more than "government"; it is Christian leadership. My goal is for my dc to be involved in government, not just learn it. As for economics, I am teaching an enrichment class, Economics for the Citizen, using Economics in a Box (economicthinking.org). I love the free market ideas presented in such a friendly way.