Menu

How would you discourage a neighbor from letter her dog poop on your lawn?

I have a nutty neighbor who is the queen of passive aggressive. She has some issue with a different neighbor and makes up reasons to call the police about them (reporting an "abandoned" car, reporting that they didn't have a permit to convert the garage to a living space). We had a beef with her a couple of years ago because she thought our hedge that runs between our property and hers was too high, so she lopped the top off the side that faced her property.

She lets her dog run around the street offleash and she was caught taking him across the street to poop on the other neighbor's yard. His response was to set up a security camera and post signs, but he didn't actually set up a recording system. Then mysteriously his car was keyed while in his driveway.

Today I discovered four fresh-ish piles of little-dog poo in my front yard. We have a decorative fence so an on-leash dog could not have done it unless the owner walked across my lawn. I've never seen another offleash dog, and if there was why would it pick my yard four times in a row? I KNOW it's her dog.

A couple of years ago I had the same problem and I did ask her if she was picking up after her dogs when they poop in my yard. She denied that they ever did it -but then it stopped happening and she made a point of trailing after her dog with a baggie in her hand.

I tend towards indignation when I feel like I've been wronged, so I'd like to see what less high-strung people would do. And how you would avoid being caught. :lol: Then I'll tell you what I did. :tongue_smilie:

Since asking her if it was her dog worked before, I would do it again. I would say, did your dog or have you seen a dog pooping in our yard? Someone missing picking up the poop. Just trying to track it down the problem. I guess I'll have to start watching the yard for dogs.

That lets her know that - you've noticed it - you're watching out for more incidents - but also you aren't blaming her without proof since you don't really know.

Then I would try to watch when you think that she normally lets out her dog and make a point of being someone that she can see you.

Oh I scooped it up with a shovel and threw it on her yard - then immediately regretted it! I really think like a kid sometimes - going for what feels fair in the moment.

Now I'm wondering if there's any way I can sneak onto her yard at night and try to find the poop to clean it up. I don't want to get into a back-and-forth feud. Of course, for her to think it was me that put it there would require her to know I had poop in my yard in the first place!

Now I'm wondering if there's any way I can sneak onto her yard at night and try to find the poop to clean it up. I don't want to get into a back-and-forth feud. Of course, for her to think it was me that put it there would require her to know I had poop in my yard in the first place!

I would not worry about it. If she sees you in her yard at night, it would likely end up worse than if she thinks somebody's dog did it. There's really no way for you to explain that...

Since she goes out of her way to get her dog to poop in another neighbor's yard, it's the kind of karma she had coming anyway.

i'd shoot the dog next time i saw it sniff in my direction. oops, sorry. that wasn't probably the answer you were looking for. :D

i would call animal control and tell them that there is an off-leash dog that poops in other people's yards, and that you know where the sweet little thingie lives, and that the owner is...well, anyway, you get the point. can you tell that your tale has my ire up? grrrr...you have my sympathy.

We had this issue with some old neighbors and I knew for a fact that it was their dog that was pooping on my lawn. I asked nicely a few times and when they didn't clean up their act I began cleaning it up for them...and leaving it on their porch in front of their door. Magically their dog quit pooping on my lawn!

i'd shoot the dog next time i saw it sniff in my direction. oops, sorry. that wasn't probably the answer you were looking for. :D

i would call animal control and tell them that there is an off-leash dog that poops in other people's yards, and that you know where the sweet little thingie lives, and that the owner is...well, anyway, you get the point. can you tell that your tale has my ire up? grrrr...you have my sympathy.

Well now I feel a lot more reasonable! :lol:

We too have a neighbor that lets his dog poop in our yard. We have spoken to him about it and he chuckles, saying he will try to watch his dog better. But you can tell he is really thinking "yeah whatever." We are not talking a small dog either. This is a big Rott. So I have done just what you did many times. There is no-way I am putting a pile that large in any baggy, he can have it back in his yard. I have thought about calling animal control because we do have a leash law here. But this is not the only problem we have with this neighbor, and I can see WWIII erupting if animal control is called. He is the kind that would make your life miserable just to get back at you. So, for now, we keep throwing the piles right back in his yard.

I have deja vu!!!

if you think that this lady keyed your other neighbor's car, and you leave your cars out at night, I would tread carefully. Sounds like she's a little loco and you don't want to antagonize her. If it continues now that you threw it back, I would probably ask her again like you did before but add "I was thinking about putting out some of this pepper spray stuff to discourage the neighbors from letting their dogs poop in my yard, they just won't stop. I've seen you out with your poop bag, I wish they were all more responsible like you!!"

Oh I scooped it up with a shovel and threw it on her yard - then immediately regretted it! I really think like a kid sometimes - going for what feels fair in the moment.

Do you really want to know what I would have done? I probably would have taken my dog over in the middle of the night and had him poop on her porch. :001_tt2: How's that for passive/aggressive? :tongue_smilie:

The problem with calling animal control here is that it can't be anonymous. I'd be afraid of retaliation too.

Maybe you could suggest an underground fence to your neighbor. We use one for our dogs and it keeps them from jumping over our fences.

Oh goodness! Don't shoot the dog!! Shoot the neighbor (in the foot, of course). :tongue_smilie:

The problem with calling animal control here is that it can't be anonymous. I'd be afraid of retaliation too.

Maybe you could suggest an underground fence to your neighbor. We use one for our dogs and it keeps them from jumping over our fences.

An underground fence would involve spending money on his part. That's not likely to happen. Especially when he can care less that it is happening. We came home one day and saw a moving van in his yard. I was so excited! Turns out he was just getting rid of some of the junk in his barn.

Aha! I don't usually hang out on this forum so I hadn't seen it. I just looked at that thread and seriously contemplated the scarecrow sprinkler until I remembered it would spray everyone who walked on our sidewalk, including us.

I think I have some cayenne pepper. I am not too worried about their dog.

Option A: Could you buy an elephant and teach it to go in her yard? :D

Option B: Try killing her with kindness? If you do something nice for her, do you think she might feel foolish for allowing this to continue and stop? Eh, probably wouldn't work, but it might be worth a try.

Unfortunately, I have the same problem. A clique of four dog walkers, all friends, allows their dogs to relieve themselves on our front lawn and parkway almost every.single.day. One lady pretends to be picking it up but smears it into the grass, and her two dogs are big if you catch my drift. I peeked out my window and watched her do this yesterday, so I can't even pick the blech up.

Worse, they are not a nice group of people. Two of them are extremely malicious and litigious, so I just try to avoid them and curse the gods who allow this to happen. If I confront them, I'm afraid my gardens will be Round-Upped which one of them *cleverly* did to someone who crossed her. We have a corner house with a lot of parkway, no fence, and I have beds near all the parkways. It could be devastating.

Unless I have rock-solid proof, which I might if I decide to get surveillance equipment, there is no way the police in our suburb will take this seriously.

I might be forced to try Option A. :tongue_smilie:

Good luck! Let me know if anything works for you.

If I confront them, I'm afraid my gardens will be Round-Upped which one of them *cleverly* did to someone who crossed her. We have a corner house with a lot of parkway, no fence, and I have beds near all the parkways. It could be devastating.

Unless I have rock-solid proof, which I might if I decide to get surveillance equipment, there is no way the police in our suburb will take this seriously.

I might be forced to try Option A. :tongue_smilie:

Good luck! Let me know if anything works for you.

Get a motion sensing camera. My brother got some neat pictures of my son getting his deer this year--we didn't even know he had the thing set up.

HA!

I just checked out there this morning and there is no new poop. I sprinkled chili powder on that corner of the yard last night and maybe that will help. I peeked around our hedge to look at her yard, and I think the poop I threw all landed in her dark brown barkdust so it's possible she won't notice it for a while.

If it happens again, I will try the kill-her-with-kindness routine. Maybe.

We had this issue with some old neighbors and I knew for a fact that it was their dog that was pooping on my lawn. I asked nicely a few times and when they didn't clean up their act I began cleaning it up for them...and leaving it on their porch in front of their door. Magically their dog quit pooping on my lawn!

:iagree: i've done both and thrown it in the street after the dog walkers.;) i posted one sign with something to the point of we're neighbors and i return items dropped" with a pict of poop on it and had walmart bag with small shovel. i hate dog poop