Menu

For those of you who KNIT...

I love KnitPicks yarn! Their yarn is affordable and good quality IMO. I also shop Webs for a larger variety. KP has free shipping on $50+ orders (if you know any other knitters close by you can go in together if you aren't ordering $50+ - that's what I always do). Webs discounts off multiple skeins - check their site for details.

HTH!

...mostly I make things that don't require expensive yarn - like dishcloths...

LOVE making dishcloths! You can knit two for about $2-3. Every year for Mother's Day I make 3-4 dishcloths. I buy an inexpensive basket, add a nice dishtowel and soap, and voila! A great present for less than $20.

I tried to insert a pic but it didn't work. See here for one I made two years ago.

I find it is difficult to buy wood except at specialty stores, but Michaels (craft store) had some wool and wool blends last time I went there. I'm sure they are more like to have sales than other sources. I can't vouch for the quality.

If you are shopping at Michaels or Hobby Lobby, you really need to sign up for their emails. I receive each week discount coupons from each. Usually Michaels is one for 40% off one item regular priced. Since my son has therapy next to Michaels each week I allot my self one skein of yarn or some other knitting accesory I want LOL because at that price it is really nice :)

LOVE making dishcloths! You can knit two for about $2-3. Every year for Mother's Day I make 3-4 dishcloths. I buy an inexpensive basket, add a nice dishtowel and soap, and voila! A great present for less than $20.
That is part of the reason I make them - great presents! Kids alove it when I make a special one that has an initial or something on it. Plus, there are literally hundreds of free patterns online that I can use. Last night I was asked to make several to sell thru a food co-op. Apparently several people who make their own soaps like making their own gift sets and need all natural (cotton) cloths to put in them. Works for me - now I can knit and make an extra bit of money :001_smile:

Unfortunately the big chains (A.C. Moore, Michaels) around here don't have the best quality yarn. We do have two very good local yarn stores that I try to buy from. One is expensive but the other is more reasonably priced so I usually buy there. I'm an instant-gratification knitter so most of my projects are small and only require a skein or two anyway, though I am currently working on my first sweater and splurged for some nice wool.

I second the dishcloths.. they are awesome, and the cotton yarns are not only inexpensive but really pretty, too!

Not sure of adding my input here as I just bought yarn that sells for $50 a skein. :eek: Now to find the perfect project that is also within my ability level so I don't mess it up!

WEBS is currently having a sale, even backordered sale items will be sold at sale price. http://www.yarn.com

I also like Knitpicks and Dizzysheep (great for smaller orders because shipping is only $1). http://www.knitpicks.com and http://www.dizzysheep.com

A few sites I have bookmarked but have not yet ordered from...

http://www.discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com/

http://www.discountyarnsale.com/default.cfm

http://www.elann.com/Commerce.Web/

http://www.littleknits.com/

(eta: another link)

hth

Edited by BritAnnia

I'm having a heck of a time finding Lorna's Laces brand online. I don't have a local store other than Michael's or Joann's, so online is my only option. I'm specifically looking for Shepherd worsted or Shepherd bulky in the Flames colorway. Anyone have any ideas?

I hate to say this, but $7.99 is a good price, especially for good quality, 100% wool; how many ounces or yards was the skien?

Try a local yarn shop (LYS) that carries the Plymouth brand yarn line. Lots of online retailers also sell Plymouth. Plymouth is a good quality, yet reasonable brand for mid-range quality (much better than anything at Michael's or Joanne for the same price/size). Their wool blend (only 25% wool) looks JUST like wool and comes in hundreds of colors and variations. They have a wonderful cotton blend called "Jeannee" that is washable, doesn't shrink and is perfect for baby clothing.

I've not purchased online, but I've browsed many of the online shops, and knitpicks seems to have a great selection of their own brand of yarn.

I just read in my most-recent issue of Crochet! magazine that Debbie Stoller of Stitch 'n B**** fame has come out with her own line of fashion-forward colored yarn in 100% Peruvian wool, wool/bamboo and wool/alpaca blends - under the brand name Stitch Nation yarn. It got decent reviews, and is available at Joann and online. Other places have given it a fair to good review.

Edited by BikeBookBread

I'm having a heck of a time finding Lorna's Laces brand online. I don't have a local store other than Michael's or Joann's, so online is my only option. I'm specifically looking for Shepherd worsted or Shepherd bulky in the Flames colorway. Anyone have any ideas?

They have some of the LL shepherd's worsted in Flames colourway listed on JimmyBeansWool.com, it's full price though.

http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/knitting/yarn/LornasLaces/ShepherdWorsted.asp?showLarge=true&specPCVID=1149

Try a local yarn shop (LYS) that carries the Plymouth brand yarn line. Lots of online retailers also sell Plymouth. Plymouth is a good quality, yet reasonable brand for mid-range quality (much better than anything at Michael's or Joanne for the same price/size).

LOVE Plymouth! I made my DD a poncho out of the Plymouth Encore - it's a wool/acrylic blend but looks just like wool IMO!

I hate to say this, but $7.99 is a good price, especially for good quality, 100% wool; how many ounces or yards was the skien?

Try a local yarn shop (LYS) that carries the Plymouth brand yarn line. Lots of online retailers also sell Plymouth. Plymouth is a good quality, yet reasonable brand for mid-range quality (much better than anything at Michael's or Joanne for the same price/size). Their wool blend (only 25% wool) looks JUST like wool and comes in hundreds of colors and variations. They have a wonderful cotton blend called "Jeannee" that is washable, doesn't shrink and is perfect for baby clothing.

I've not purchased online, but I've browsed many of the online shops, and knitpicks seems to have a great selection of their own brand of yarn.

I just read in my most-recent issue of Crochet! magazine that Debbie Stoller of Stitch 'n B**** fame has come out with her own line of fashion-forward colored yarn in 100% Peruvian wool, wool/bamboo and wool/alpaca blends - under the brand name Stitch Nation yarn. It got decent reviews, and is available at Joann and online. Other places have given it a fair to good review.

It is Lion Brand (108 yards). I bought enough for a scarf, and it cost $32, but the colors are beautiful and rich. My goal is to make Christmas stockings - guess I'll have to make an investment!

Thanks for the suggestions.

It is Lion Brand (108 yards). I bought enough for a scarf, and it cost $32, but the colors are beautiful and rich. My goal is to make Christmas stockings - guess I'll have to make an investment!

Thanks for the suggestions.

'

Lion Brand is often on sale at places like Jo-Ann, Michaels, ACMoore. Whether I'm buying yarn from there or online, I always try to get a sale price.

I'm also still a newb at knitting. I find learning and trying different yarn brands and blends is as fun as trying different techniques and patterns.

LOVE Plymouth! I made my DD a poncho out of the Plymouth Encore - it's a wool/acrylic blend but looks just like wool IMO!

That's the stuff! I couldn't think of the name - Encore. I LOVE it. I made a granny square afghan (crochet)...and this was the project that I discovered I was allergic to wool. :crying:

Would you ladies post pictures of some of your work? I'd love to see since I am just beginning.:001_smile:

Are you on Ravelry.com? This website has been such an encouragement and inspiration to me! I think you have to sign up to view people's work, but it's free. There's also a WTM knitters group (which I tagalong onto -- I"m more of a crocheter, but am knitting a blanket right now...). The link I posted is to my profille...I'm not sure if you'll be able to see it or not. You can keep track of your projects, yarn used, yarn in stash, projects you wish to do, patterns (THOUSANDS of FREE patterns!), people sell their yarn, it's amazing!

Edited by BikeBookBread

I would sign up for Joann stores emails/newsletters.

Every 2 weeks I get coupons for usually around 40-50% off that are good online also. They are also frequently offering free shipping.

I knit a lot for charity and have found some really nice yarns online.

They have some of the LL shepherd's worsted in Flames colourway listed on JimmyBeansWool.com, it's full price though.

http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/knitting/yarn/LornasLaces/ShepherdWorsted.asp?showLarge=true&specPCVID=1149

OUCH!! Thank you. :) Sadly it's the only color match for the room I'm knitting for. Oh well, bite the bullet or I'll never be done by Christmas!

Here's a link to my knitting album on photobucket. You can view a slideshow here... I hope!

(Please let me know if the link doesn't work. It should be set for public viewing but PB can be such a bear to navigate I may have muddled a setting somewhere.)

Lisa,

I couldn't get the link to work, but I would love to see your stuff!

I went to my knitting class last night and found out I had to redo on of the braids of my scarf:sad:; it was too wide. I used the same number of stitches as the first braid but didn't account for the bulkier yarn. I'm sure it is the first of many remakes!!