Menu

free online assessment for reading level (that compares to PS kids)?

You're not--I promise!

When my ds took it last year in 1st grade, he was reading on a 4th grade level (compared to PS kids, which probably doesn't mean all that much!). I also had him take the assessment at Rod and Staff (I think that's the one)--on that one he was reading on a older 2nd grade level. I'm sure the R&S test was stricter!

Now that he's nearing the end of 2nd grade, I'd like to see how he's improved.

Would this test work for you?

Or here is a link to Sonlight's Quick Reading Assessment.

Thanks, Heidi. It's not the same one, but it might work. I was really hoping to find the original so I could compare results last year to this year, based on the same assessment approach.

I have no idea why this has been so hard to track down! Believe me, I've been googling! :D

I did a search of posts you started 6 months and older and found this thread. Perhaps it is where you got the link you are seeking.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76995

I just used this test from the previous thread I linked above. It was really easy to click and score each word as Doodle was reading through the level.

http://www.readingkey.com/demo/Files/tests/readinglevel/readingtest-m.html

I did a search of posts you started 6 months and older and found this thread. Perhaps it is where you got the link you are seeking.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76995

OK, that's embarrassing. I think originally I thought it might be much quicker to find it by asking. I did a search on the general boards but couldn't find anything that resembled it. (I've slogged through my old posts enough to know it takes me forever to find stuff.) Was so focused on finding it through googling that I forgot to go back and look.:o

Thanks...I'm still checking through the links to find out which one...I'll let you all know.

I'd like to know too...after reading (and feeling pretty yucky about the jealousy that I'm feeling after reading) that thread about 3 year olds reading fluently, I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong!!!!

The vast majority of 3yos just aren't ready to read, no matter what you do. I say, let them enjoy being three, and enjoy them being three. You have exactly one year of that, no more and no less, and you'll get to enjoy them being six (or whatever age they learn to read) when they get there.

For what it's worth, my dd6 could read my name when she was 2.5, but she still didn't learn to read until she was five.

Someone here recommended one for me last year, and despite my searching, I cannot find the link. And somehow I didn't keep it in my Favorites.

It was free, online, and it compared to public school kids at the same grade level.

Does anyone know the name?

What about the Frye readability scale?

You can take something that they are reading well and check it on the scale.

You can also look for running records