Menu

Historical "village" in North East area of NJ?

I know there is some sort of historical village, maybe revolutionary, maybe colonial, maybe something else in the NE part of NJ. I was there in 1983. I drove past a sign on our way home from Niagra Falls that I think was this village. Of course 6 months later I can't find the note anywhere!

Anyone have any clue what this place is?

Are you referring to Morristown? Washington had the army set up camp there during the Revolutionary War. We happened to be there for a week on business and enjoyed visiting several historic sites, including historic Speedwell, "birthplace of the telegraph".

Edited by Joaly

It depends on how you were coming home. There are a lot of historical places in NJ.

Morristown has Jockey Hollow and Washington's Headquarters plus Fosterfields Living Historical Farm. This is pretty much the dead center of the upper half of New Jersey.

In the Northwest, in Stanhope is Waterloo Village - this is a very nice historical village. They also do concerts and special events (Native American Days, Irish Days, etc.)

Double Trouble Village is at Island Beach State Park so is along the coast.

Batsto Village is in South Jersey, just off the Parkway.

Morris County is the middle of Northern New Jersey and has a lot of historical areas (this is where Morristown is). Here's a link that has most of them. http://www.morrisparks.net/aspparks/ffmain.asp

Waterloo Village?

That may be NW NJ.

That must be it. It was definately in NJ, since I went to school in NJ and it's located close enough to my town that it would have been a resonable distance for a school trip.

Thanks!

Plus now that I'm thinking about it, I remember singing ABBA with my friends on the bus! LOL!

"Waterloo - couldn't escape if I wanted to!"

Edited by Renthead Mommy

How about Allaire Historic Village, in Allaire State Park? It has costumed guides, demonstrations of early trades (blacksmithing, carpentry, tin smithing) and crafts (candle-making, quilting, soap-making, butter-churning), re-enactments, a General Store, etc. The time period is early 1800s. It's near Farmingdale, in the eastern/central part of NJ.

http://www.allairevillage.org/VillageLife/VillageLife.htm

Jackie

bummer! It looks like it's closed. They are taking school groups from April -June but you need a minimum of 15 people. Too far for a group from here probably. (I'd stay in Jersey so it's not an issue for us.) Bummer.

Well, I have four kids plus myself. If you're really interested, I bet I can dig up a few more peeps!

Waterloo is just a little over an hour from me, and we're in the area all the time.

<----- Grew up "down the road", too.

Waterloo has had some big money problems and was recently taken over by the NJ Dept of Environmental protection. The Lenape Village (part of Waterloo) recently reopened -- I think there was a problem with some of the village being on the site of old burial grounds. Who knows when Waterloo will reopen -- NJ is broke.

There is Cooper Mill in Chester, the Red Mill in Clinton (with a teeny hamlet). My personal favorite (in northern NJ) is Millbrook Village (near Blairstown) -- best seen on the first weekend in October, when there are hundreds of volunteers in period costume making candles, smoking meat, cooking apple butter, coopering, tinsmithing, etc. Oh, and that event is free.