Menu

My Asperger's daughter did something so thoughtful!

It's my daughter's fourteenth birthday today, but she surprised me: she has heard me rave about Rupert Isaacson's book The Horse Boy, a chronicle of his journey with his autistic son to Mongolia in search of shamans and horses. While at her own riding lesson she noticed a poster advertising that he will be in our city giving a talk for charity; she secretly memorized the phone number, asked my husband to call, and got me a ticket! She surprised me with it today. This ranks as one of the sweetest things ANYONE has ever done for me, and I am so touched I am practically sobbing all over myself.

What an amazing journey for a kid who used to think microwaves had lives and feelings but seemed indifferent to the people around her.

Wow, that's awesome! I couldn't imagine my Aspie daughters doing that!

My daughter has always been very sensitive, but I couldn't have imagined her doing this a year ago either. The growth has been amazing -- I don't know what combination of factors to put it down to, but I wanted to hold out hope for other mothers (and fathers) out there that such things are possible.

That is so awesome!! My aspie dd once made me "breakfast" when her brother was a baby and had kept me up all night the night before. She woke me up and when I came downstairs there was a platter with strawberries, apples, grapes and cookies with apple juice in coffee mugs with the saucers. :001_wub:

That is so awesome!! My aspie dd once made me "breakfast" when her brother was a baby and had kept me up all night the night before. She woke me up and when I came downstairs there was a platter with strawberries, apples, grapes and cookies with apple juice in coffee mugs with the saucers. :001_wub:

That is so very sweet!

Thank you so much to everybody who responded, for allowing me to share.