Menu

Home School Tests

pamd

I take the test results with a grain of salt. There is not one way, one path to education. My goal may be to introduce topics when my student is ready for them. I look at the long-term, not the short-term.

We used MUS from K through Algebra. I know that many people were concerned about it because it follows a non-traditional path in K-4 or so. The path made complete sense to me. Ds never scored below average in math, but then I have a degree in math, and he's got the math gene. In fact, in 5th grade, he was scoring post-HS on the tests. Do I care? Not really, other than to brag. ;)

In FL, our students must be evaluated on an annual basis. I switched evaluators after my first year here, and the 2nd evaluator used a different test. Our students don't have to be tested, the evaluator can review a portfolio, but that's too much work for me. Anyway, in 5th grade, the new test showed ds to be below grade level in spelling. We had never used a spelling program. So, I started one, and his scores improved.

At the end of 6th grade, I gave ds the ITBS. He scored below average in capitalization. We had never worked formally on capitalization. I paid a bit more attention to capitalization. We covered it thoroughly in 8th grade. I expect to see better results at the end of this year.

Ds has never been tested in writing. If he had, I'd probably be more worried. :tongue_smilie:

I do think the test does help me look at areas where I may have failed to implement certain things so that is a benefit, but I don't like the grade level that they compare with. Exspecially since we are work on several different grade levels in different areas. Thanks so much for you insight.

Did you mean the standardized tests such as the Stanford Achievement Test or the Iowa Text of Basic Skills? the ones that children in schools take?

They have limited usefulness, IMHO. They compare children with a normed grade/age-level group; you can tell how your child compares with that group, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is't the only thing, or the most important. And you can tell if your child has progressed since the last time he was tested.

I wouldn't base my decision on whether to continue hsing on how my dc did on a standardized test, though.

I use the P.A.S.S. test and that does both. I will make hsing work so how with Gods' help and other supporters like you. I know we can get there, just have to be creative and get away from the ps ways and worry about our individual needs and not compare.

We use the SAT. I get good information from the test results. I find that they are reassuring. We use the results to tweak our curriculum focus sometimes. We don't teach to the test but it is nice to know that the kids are doing well on the national tests and are familiar with taking them.

I use the P.A.S.S. test and that does both.

The PASS test is not the best standardized test out there. It uses outdated questions and norms (about 20-30 years old). The "Hewitt" percentiles they reports really mean very little. They just show where your child places compared to other homeschoolers who have chosen to take the PASS test. This is beyond unscientific. I strongly recommend that you only look at the national percentiles, as that these are based on norms that were obtained in a scientific manner.

When ordering the test they ask for the grade level and compare to others in that grade level. Does that make sense?

Could you explain what you mean here? Depending on what your concern is, you may be able to get some more information about your child's scores.

We test because I'm lazy. :D

I feel like it's easier to take a week and have the kids fill out the little bubbles than it is to try to put together a comprehensive portfolio that accurately reflects what we've been doing this year.

I also like to see the progress they've made from the previous year. If you give the same test each year (not the exact same test, but the next grade level up from the same publisher), then there's a number on there (the scaled score I think?) that can be compared to the previous year's score to show progress. It can be informative to see where, and how much, progress was made in different subjects.

Honestly, I put little stock into test results. I had to explain to my 7 and 9 year old that there is SO much they learned this past year that they will not be able to show on the test. However, where I do see they are helpful is first... giving my kids practice at "working under pressure" (something they don't get in our usual school day) and two practice with testing so that when we get to the "big tests" (ie. ACT, SAT) they will have had some experience. Thankfully, I don't need to worry what they score on their tests... we just have to do them.

Due to the nature of the society in which I am raising my kids - I DO see the benefit in being a good test taker. HOWEVER - I think it's ridiculous to judge anything by them at all......except to say, "She can take a test."

Right now I am getting my dd (12yo - 6th grade) into the whole test taking routine by using the SOTW tests for the ancients. This is just to get her comfortable with test taking. I hold no value to them myself. I just know if you are a good test taker you can go far in this world and so it behooves me to do this with my kid.

I discuss things with her when I want to know what she really knows.

When I want to have a good test taker - I give her a test.

The PASS test is not the best standardized test out there. It uses outdated questions and norms (about 20-30 years old). The "Hewitt" percentiles they reports really mean very little. They just show where your child places compared to other homeschoolers who have chosen to take the PASS test. This is beyond unscientific. I strongly recommend that you only look at the national percentiles, as that these are based on norms that were obtained in a scientific manner.

Percentiles in and of themselves are flawed.

Having said that - of course I am proud of my own self for being able to score in the 99th percentile of certain standardized tests...... But then you see the people who are in the 75th percentile and watch them in the field and realize that they actually know more and so the tests are stupid. All a test shows is that someone is familiar with the information AND knows how to take a test!!!!

We test because I'm lazy. :D

I feel like it's easier to take a week and have the kids fill out the little bubbles than it is to try to put together a comprehensive portfolio that accurately reflects what we've been doing this year.

I also like to see the progress they've made from the previous year. If you give the same test each year (not the exact same test, but the next grade level up from the same publisher), then there's a number on there (the scaled score I think?) that can be compared to the previous year's score to show progress. It can be informative to see where, and how much, progress was made in different subjects.

That's funny!!!!

I keep an accurate and up to date portfolio of everything we do....because I feel like I'm lazy and I don't want to work on making a non-test-taker into a good test taker at this point!!!!!!!!!! We're SLOWLY working on the test taking skills that she did NOT inherit from mama.

You could call them to see if they could run another set of scores against another grade level. They'd probably charge something for it though.

If you want to know what grade level your child would be at the 50th percentile in (according to national norms) I have a table that converts RIT scores to approximate grade levels.