Menu

Jacobs Algebra--is it enough?

I've read dozens and dozens of archived posts comparing algebra curricula and have finally settled on Jacobs Elementary Algebra, with Lial's on my shelf as a backup in case we need extra help.

I noticed that many people use supplements in addition to Jacobs. I've heard Foerster, Dolciani and/or Singapore NEM mentioned. Is this because Jacobs is lacking in some area? Does it not provide sufficient work with word problems? Or is there another reason?

I did read somewhere that I should add a supplement on how to use graphing calculators. Does anyone know where I can find such a supplement?

Thanks!

I wouldn't bother with using a graphing calculator for Algebra I. It would be useful to start working with one in Algebra II or Precalculus though.

I thought Jacobs was fine as-is. My middle dd didn't like it at first, so she asked me to find something else for her to use. When I showed her Kinetic Books, she wasn't sure whether she liked that any better or not. She did both for all of 7th grade. At the end of 7th grade, she decided that she liked Kinetic Books a lot better, so she dropped Jacobs. She finished Algebra I at the end of 8th grade.

We used Jacobs for AL I and for Geometry and loved it. You don't need a graphing calculator at this point. There isn't anything "wrong" with having one, but you really won't use it until Pre-Calc with trig. Because the technology is rapidly changing and TI has rolled out their new N-Spire models (about 2 years ago, I think). I would wait on purchasing a new graphing calculator to make sure the TI-83/84 isn't "obsolete" by the time you hit pre-calculus or advanced Al II, depending on the curriculum.

Instead of a graphing calculator look for a TI 30Xii or TI 34 that has a 'multi-line' display---this is a step down from a graphing calculator and is all that is needed for tests such as the ACT/SAT... I use it with my students through Algebra 2.-- again the multi line (2 or 3 lines displayed at the same time) is what counts... it allows the student to SEE the whole problem they type in--as well as the solution at the SAME TIME. These calculators also have a handy parenthesis feature! Best part is they cost around $15 and come in cool colors--we have neon orange, hot pink and neon blue at the moment--the bright ones don't seem to get lost as often! Most stores like WalMart/Target or office supply stores carry them (with the regular calculators)... even our WalGreens has them... These calculatros are a step down from a graphing calculator--and my students have always transitioned easily to graphing calculators in Pre-Calc. I definately would NOT suggest one for Algebra 1--the students need to learn HOW to manually solve the equations--so the calculator will later become a tool--NOT a method of key strokes!

Jacobs is a solid Algebra 1 program--in fact it goes a bit beyond most Algebra 1 texts (but not enough for Algebra 2 credit). If you have Lial--I like the way that Lial teaches word problems (especially the Distance=Rate X Time) with a chart. It makes it easy to SEE the equations in the problem. I prefer my own method when it comes to factoring quadratic trinomials (undoing FOIL). I have my mini-lessons posted on my website under 'helps'. My method is close to what Singapore Math teaches.

I used Jacob's Algebra - by itself - last year for my 7th grade son.

He enrolled in school this year as an 8th grader wanting to take Enriched Geometry. The school had him take an Algebra test in order to ensure accurate placement - he needed 80% to pass the test and scored well above that. We both felt very good about his knowledge and preparedness.

Enjoy :)

Instead of a graphing calculator look for a TI 30Xii or TI 34 that has a 'multi-line' display

:iagree: I totally agree with Jann - The TI 34 is the calculator my kids used until they hit Precalculus (then we upgrade to TI graphing calculators).

As for Jacobs algebra, it's our choice for algebra one and a complete program.

We supplement with problem-solving materials from AMC and MathCounts at that stage, but that's our "fun" math. Occasionally, I also pulled challenging word problems out of my 1960s Dolciani algebra text. The old Dolciani texts are my go-to source when I want additional word problems for that level.

~Kathy

I recently bought a TI 30 XS. It's my first new scientific calculator in some time. You enter things differently on this one. It took a bit of getting used to. So it's probably a good precursor to the graphing calculators. It wasn't too expensive - $15 or so. And it has all of the features that I've needed so far, into pre-calculus. If I need to graph, I use WolframAlpha on my computer.

Thank you, everyone, for your reassuring replies! I feel much more comfortable now with the idea of using Jacobs. I am also happy to hear that I will not have to plunk down $100 for a graphing calculator yet! Thanks, Jann, for that link!

And I'm VERY happy to discover that Jacobs now has a complete solutions manual! :001_smile:

Like Dee, we own a T1-30XS, which we bought for Chalkdust pre-algebra. Would this be sufficient until it's time to upgrade?