Menu

Which High School Math

I would like to start figuring out what math to use in high school with my dd. She really hates math, but can make A's in it. She will not do Algebra 1 until 9th grade. I would like for her to do Algebra 1 and 2, Geometry, and Pre-Calculus in high school. I want something that does the job, but not much fluff. It would also be a plus if it did not cost much.

I have a math degree, so I'm totally fine with teaching it, although a solutions manual is nice for those times I might have to leave her with someone else.

She is currently working through an 8th grade Glencoe textbook that she will finish next year. I am considering adding LOF Pre-Algebra next year as a supplement. She will be studying Life science making it seem like a good match.

Which curriculum matches a situation like ours?

I like Kinetic Books for Algebra I and II.

Jacobs is also good for Algebra I. I like Jacobs Geometry 3rd edition better than 2nd edition, but there are a lot of people who prefer 2nd edition over 3rd.

I'm using Larson's Precalculus (same one Chalkdust uses) with my 16yo right now. I like it, but Dana Mosley's video clips are often very long. I may use Lial's for my next dd.

If we do Calculus at home rather than the cc, we'll probably go with Lial's.

I like Kinetic Books for Algebra I and II.

Jacobs is also good for Algebra I. I like Jacobs Geometry 3rd edition better than 2nd edition, but there are a lot of people who prefer 2nd edition over 3rd.

I'm using Larson's Precalculus (same one Chalkdust uses) with my 16yo right now. I like it, but Dana Mosley's video clips are often very long. I may use Lial's for my next dd.

If we do Calculus at home rather than the cc, we'll probably go with Lial's.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at Kinetic Books. Am I understanding right that, if you purchase it, you get all the interactive media as part of the digital textbook? That seems like an amazing item for the money. I do feel that I might be left out of the process quite a bit, which would make me sad being the math lover that I am!

I have not had time to look at Jacobs or Lial's yet.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at Kinetic Books. Am I understanding right that, if you purchase it, you get all the interactive media as part of the digital textbook? That seems like an amazing item for the money. I do feel that I might be left out of the process quite a bit, which would make me sad being the math lover that I am!

Yes, the digital textbook includes all the interactive "games" and exercises. Even the regular problems are interactive, in that you can click for hints, links to the concept explanations, and step-by-step walk-throughs.

KB are currently working on homeschool versions of the PreAlgebra & Algebra programs, which will include the "online homework package" they currently sell separately, as well as some other features. (Not sure when those will be released, though.)

Jackie

Are you able to find any Algebra books at your library? I was able to find several and used Inter-Library Loan to find some more. You might want to check out Lial's. Although I didn't use it, it looked more "compact", but just as thorough as some of the others I reviewed (Jacob's, Foerster's, can't remember the others).

Having a math degree, I can totally relate to wanting to teach the math. Not doing so would take all the fun out of homeschooling for me. I'll give up everything else before I give up math. :001_huh:

Are you able to find any Algebra books at your library? I was able to find several and used Inter-Library Loan to find some more. You might want to check out Lial's. Although I didn't use it, it looked more "compact", but just as thorough as some of the others I reviewed (Jacob's, Foerster's, can't remember the others).

Having a math degree, I can totally relate to wanting to teach the math. Not doing so would take all the fun out of homeschooling for me. I'll give up everything else before I give up math. :001_huh:

Sue, I wish we lived near you, so I could send my dd to you for math! :) Math is not my thing, so we've floundered a little. It IS my dh's thing, and he does help, he just doesn't have time to help as much as he'd like to!

Sue, I wish we lived near you, so I could send my dd to you for math! :) Math is not my thing, so we've floundered a little. It IS my dh's thing, and he does help, he just doesn't have time to help as much as he'd like to!

Unfortunately, even if you did live near me, I wouldn't be able to help. I've had friends ask and had to decline. This little thing called work gets in the way. :tongue_smilie:

Unfortunately, even if you did live near me, I wouldn't be able to help. I've had friends ask and had to decline. This little thing called work gets in the way. :tongue_smilie:
I know what you mean. I've had people ask me to homeschool their children, and I declined for the same reason! :) It was just wishful thinking! :001_smile: Edited by Brindee

Yes, the digital textbook includes all the interactive "games" and exercises. Even the regular problems are interactive, in that you can click for hints, links to the concept explanations, and step-by-step walk-throughs.

KB are currently working on homeschool versions of the PreAlgebra & Algebra programs, which will include the "online homework package" they currently sell separately, as well as some other features. (Not sure when those will be released, though.)

Jackie

So you've used this? Does it have the step-by-step walk-throughs for every problem? How'd you like it? How'd your kid or kids like it? Is it a complete program? Do we need that on-line homework package?

Sorry for all the questions, it just looks really neat, and the price is good!

I just ordered an entire set of Lial's Intro to Algebra from http://www.half.com for about $26.00 with shipping. 8th edition.

ISBNs:

Textbook: 0321279212

Solutions: 0321285808

Digital Video Tutor: 0321285840

You can do searches on Lial's in the forum for more info, but it's a community college remedial Alg course that has everything you need and supposedly well-explained lessons on the concepts. It has practice problems in the margins, too.

I haven't used it yet of course but your daughter sounds like mine somewhat. She liked math, tho, at the elementary level, then got to Alg and began hating life in Saxon math. As you know, Alg is much more challenging than elementary math, so a good text that explains steps well is a must for those who aren't in love with math, so I picked up Lial's and a copy of Life of Fred to test drive these 2 curricula.

I'm also considering Christy Walters "Alg 1: A fresh Approach". It is between Life of Fred and Saxon in cost, though.

I just ordered an entire set of Lial's Intro to Algebra from www.half.com for about $26.00 with shipping. 8th edition.

ISBNs:

Textbook: 0321279212

Solutions: 0321285808

Digital Video Tutor: 0321285840

You can do searches on Lial's in the forum for more info, but it's a community college remedial Alg course that has everything you need and supposedly well-explained lessons on the concepts. It has practice problems in the margins, too.

I haven't used it yet of course but your daughter sounds like mine somewhat. She liked math, tho, at the elementary level, then got to Alg and began hating life in Saxon math. As you know, Alg is much more challenging than elementary math, so a good text that explains steps well is a must for those who aren't in love with math, so I picked up Lial's and a copy of Life of Fred to test drive these 2 curricula.

I'm also considering Christy Walters "Alg 1: A fresh Approach". It is between Life of Fred and Saxon in cost, though.

Thanks for the info. My dd actually never liked math. The only spark of interest I have seen is actually in algebra type problems. I'm hoping that higher level math will actually be something she likes, but I have to admit that I am only slightly hopeful.

I really need to think about her and what will be best for her, instead of my desire to teach it to her. I think she would like the Kinetic program, but I've just begun the research. I'll be checking out all these options.

I am good at math, but things didn't go well with me teaching it to dd :) from Algebra 1 on....

She has used BJU math since 3rd grade. We did BJU Algebra 1 with dvds last year, and are doing their Geometry with dvds this year. I plan to do their Algebra 2 next year (did it with ds and it was great). I may even do the Precalc. (did it with ds, it was so so, but at the end of the year after using 3 different programs, he said BJU was the best of them).

It is $400 per year. You get to keep the books, but you rent the dvds. I suggest the option with the teachers editions because from time to time you need them for step by step solutions. You can also email the teacher for help. I love it. The dvds teach, review, quiz, assign and go over homework, prep for tests, and all I have to do is grade quizzes and tests. It was necessary for me to step out of the process (teens :) ) and things are great. It is the best $400 I spend each year.

So you've used this? Does it have the step-by-step walk-throughs for every problem? How'd you like it? How'd your kid or kids like it? Is it a complete program? Do we need that on-line homework package?

Sorry for all the questions, it just looks really neat, and the price is good!

I have the beta version of Pre-Algebra and I've seen previews of the homeschool version of Algebra I (as well as the Algebra demo on the website). I really really like what I've seen so far. My son is just starting the Pre-Algebra program ~ it seems quite a bit meatier than TT Pre-Algebra, and the problems are more challenging. *I* love it, but we'll see how well DS12 does with it. It's hard to find a math curriculum that works for him, because he needs really clear, explicit conceptual explanations, but hates drill & repetition.

ETA: To answer your question about the walk-throughs, from what I've seen so far, for each problem that has multiple steps you can click on a button that says "step" and it will help you with the first step. You type in the answer for that step, and then if you still need help with the next step, you click "step" again and it lays out the next step for you. It doesn't give the answers, just regroups the variables, or whatever the next step would be.

There are also "hint" buttons, and another button that will link you to the part of the lesson that covered the explanations for the problem you're doing.

Jackie

I would like to start figuring out what math to use in high school with my dd. She really hates math, but can make A's in it.

She is currently working through an 8th grade Glencoe textbook that she will finish next year. I am considering adding LOF Pre-Algebra next year as a supplement. She will be studying Life science making it seem like a good match.

Which curriculum matches a situation like ours?

If all you want is to get the job done, I'd go with Life of Fred. It will get the job done and is a lot more fun than most of the others mentioned here. Plus, it's a great program to boot. We've used a number of Algebra 1 programs, and this is hands down the favourite around here. My suggestion is to do the Life of Fred PreAlgebra to see how it works with your dd. LoF is NOT expensive, and you get free shipping from Polka Dot Press Publishing. I should add, though, that we're different in that all my dc have to do a lot of math. My eldest HATED arithmetic with a vehemence not often seen regarding school subjects (she is very intense,) and yet she does NOT hate Algebra and has even spoken of majoring in math if she changes her mind about science. Just because a dc doesn't like Math before Algebra doesn't mean they won't like it later on. Perhaps Glencoe is just not a good fit for her, either. My dd did about 4 or 5 Algebra 1 books (she did it through twice, but started early so we found what worked for her, and then she did a different one the second time through.)

Edited by Karin

Nobody seems to want to use this but I'm uncertain as to why. Looks perfectly fine to me. Step-by-step instructs that make sense to me; so why the CLE phobia?? :) I picked up the one on graphing for a peek and the girl is checking it out, now.

I forgot to mention that I am planning to look at CLE's along with LoF and Lial's.

Kim

Nobody seems to want to use this but I'm uncertain as to why. Looks perfectly fine to me. Step-by-step instructs that make sense to me; so why the CLE phobia?? :) I picked up the one on graphing for a peek and the girl is checking it out, now.

I forgot to mention that I am planning to look at CLE's along with LoF and Lial's.

Kim

That is good to know as well. I am curious, though. Will you be using CLE, LoF, and Lial's all at the same time? I don't want dd to feel overwhelmed with math.

I just wanna see them and compare at this point. I know it's crazy to order curriculum and then ship it back or sell it, but frankly I can't see if something will work unless I take a look at a chapter/lesson - entire lesson and have the daughter try it.

We have been using Saxon and she does *okay* but some of the concepts aren't very well explained IMHO.

I'm not a math person. My husband is. He would prefer a more mastery "chapter" approach to math (traditional) vs Spiral/integrated like Saxon.

I like the fact that Saxon reviews old material over and over because I always forgot my Alg concepts from one mth to the next and it was a nightmare for me if old stuff hadn't been reviewed in mths, for ex.

We'll see. I hope to settle on something permanent by Fall. We may stay with Saxon, we may switch to something else, but I really don't want to go back and forth btwn curricula like many do, here, if I can help it.

Once thing I think is important is to stick to one publisher thru-out HS if at all possible, because often they have unique ways of approaching math and jumping from, say, LoF to Saxon would be disaster IMHO.

Forgot to mention that I have the entire chapter 8 of Alg 1: a Fresh Approach by Christy Walters via email, if you're interested in reviewing. I could drop you a copy.

That's why I hate Spring anymore. I spend all my time reviewing curriculum. AGH!

Kim

Edited by titianmom
editing

chapter reviews as well as cumulative reviews at the end of every chapter.

My ds12 is using BCM and he is working on a cumulative review this week...I say this week because it truly covers everything he has covered since the beginning of the book...it takes several days to get through. We do ALL the problems in the reviews.

So, Lial's kind of gives you the best of both worlds...lots of review without reviewing every. single. day.

Kim

My dd dislikes Saxon with a passion. We tried it a couple of times, with both times ending in boredom and/or strong dislike.

As I was looking around for math for this current school year, I saw quite a few people who were (and are) using CLE maths. So, we decided to try it for dd, but it was a no go. She (and my math-loving dh) said it jumps around and was not smooth to follow. The approach they used just didn't make sense to dd. I believe it's spiral like Saxon. So, no phobia, just tried it and it didn't work.

DD did TT before and liked it, and asked me just last week if she could go back to it. She likes the cd's and the steps being shown, so she understands how and why it's done how it is. We wish we would've just stuck with TT, but dd just wanted to try something else. Now she wants to just go back and stay with TT, so we'll see how that goes. We already have the LoF Beg & Advanced Algebras, since her older brother did them. We'll use them, also, as needed/wanted.