Menu

Getting through a book/story with so many ????s

Hi all! My boys are 4.5 and LOVE books and reading. One of my boys is quite advanced in reading, but loves to be read to. His twin's reading ability is just taking off, but I still do a lot of the reading.

During our reading time, the boys are asking TONS of questions. Sometimes I read one on one, but most of the time they are both there and I'm getting questiosn x2! I love this, but it is taking FOREVER to get through a story. If they would let me read a little bit, many of their questions would be answered. Also, for the stories that we re-read, they know the answers, but still ask a TON of questions -- I know this because I turn the question around and they answer them.

I try to answer the questions or say let's read some more and find out, etc. but the questions just keep coming. How do you all handle this? Do you make them wait until the end to ask questions? I'm afraid I'll discourage them from asking, but when I can only get one or two words out before the next question, I start getting frustrated.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mendy

I have no idea.....but I think that you must be listening in on the reading sessions that I do with my 3 and 5 year old girls. Questions are good, but like you said, I only get out half a sentence before another question comes LOL. And usually their question is answered on the next page. It can be frustrating sometimes LOL.

My 8yo has always been like this. Our compromise is sort of a middle ground. I tell him he MUST wait until I pause for questions, which I do at the end of a short chapter or in the middle of a longer one. It's a good time to ask "What do you think will happen next?" and other comprehension type questions anyhow. He can ask HIS questions then! BUT, if he interrupts before the intermission (LOL) I put the book down and am completely silent. He knows to be quiet then...but I will make exceptions if it's something crucial and he's doing better at knowing if it really is important or can wait. :) It's much easier for him when he knows that I *will* break after 15 min. or so for questions!

I have 3 kiddos...we'd try to read a story but all of them would drive me to practically fling the book aside with all the ?'s that could be answered by listening for about 2 more sentences.

So. I got 3 tickets (I cut them out of construction paper) and gave 3 to each kid. 1 ticket = 1 question mom will answer. If you run out of tickets, you have to sit QUIETLY or leave. It worked. I only did this b/c the poor middle kid really wanted to hear the story and I felt the other ones were ruining it for her. Yes, there was crying initially...but, there's crying throughout the day anyhow, right?

Good Luck!

Michele

Maybe read a set amount - a chapter, 4 pages, or whatever - and then have a break where the kids summarize out loud what's been read and ask any questions. Also, if you read ahead, you could mention any terms or concepts you know will be new to them beforehand.

I have the same problem, except for my kids, they keep asking what different words mean (we're reading higher level books). I just keep reminding them that I'll stop at the end of a paragraph to answer questions. I too hate to discourage question asking, and I think it's great they want to expand their vocabulary, but sheesh- it takes forever to read a story! :)

It's been working okay. better than getting stopped mid-sentence.

I only have one child, and when she was smaller it would take up to two hours to get through a picture book because of all her questions. Now, she comments her way through books and videos. Sometimes this is frustrating -- the first time we watched Lord of the Rings, I lost, conservatively, three-quarters of the dialogue to her excited comments. But most of the time, I am really happy that I have such an active reader. I think it bodes very well for the development of an active, logical, questioning, critical thinker.

I would have no idea what to do if I had more than this one kid, though!

Any advice?

I've always told my kids they have to save their questions for the end of the book (picture book) or chapter (chapter book). I can't stand interruptions, and I think it decreases the quality of the story to always be interrupted/ing. I will define words they are unfamiliar with, but that's it.

Tara

the first time we watched Lord of the Rings, I lost, conservatively, three-quarters of the dialogue to her excited comments.

Wow. Maybe I am a grinch, but she would have been kicked out were she watching it with me. ;) It drives me crazy when people talk during movies, and if my kid were old enough to watch LOTR, I'd expect her to keep her mouth shut. Not picking on you or your dd, because I know people have different tolerances, but when my kids talk during a movie, I pause it and give them the stink-eye. :D

Tara

For stories that last less than 5 minutes, my kids have to wait until the end and then they can ask to their hearts' content. I'm like you, Tara the Liberator, and can't stand the interruptions! We don't generally read aloud for more than 15 minutes at a time, so I do try to stop about halfway and give them a chance to ask short questions for a minute or two. There are some questions I tell them I can't answer that right now but I will later. It definitely took a while to train them to not interrupt (and they still do occasionally) but it's been worth it.