Menu

Craig's List etiquette question

So, how do you handle multiple inquiries into an apparently hot item? I posted a teeter totter and almost immediately got two e-mails. I replied to both of them; to the first inquiry I invited them to come look this weekend; but on the second, I said there was one person ahead of them, and would get back to them after I heard. Does this sound fair???

ETA: I HATE negotiating...and I know dh will find something wrong with my thought process (he's a master negotiator) and then I'll reply, well, you handle it then, and he'll say something pithy... LOL Not a bash, just a prediction!!

So, how do you handle multiple inquiries into an apparently hot item? I posted a teeter totter and almost immediately got two e-mails. I replied to both of them; to the first inquiry I invited them to come look this weekend; but on the second, I said there was one person ahead of them, and would get back to them after I heard. Does this sound fair???

I don't know what the etiquette is, but the first person with cash in hand gets the item I would think.

Yes, I think that's the fair way to do it.

If I post something and have multiple people reply, I will offer it to the first person willing to pay the full asking price.

ETA: If the first person says it's going to take them two weeks to come get it or something like that, I would likely move on to someone else who could be more prompt. If I list something, it's often because I want it out of the house.

Edited by Annie

I think the general consensus seems to be first person with cash in hand wins. I tell anyone who calls that they can come at their earliest convience (that I am available, of course) but the item goes to the first person who shows with money and buys. If someone has said that they will come at such and such time and someone else comes and buys in the mean time I will let the other person know to save them a trip. In my expeience as both a buyer and seller very few people go to look as something and don't buy it. I think this is due to the fact that most people post pictures and ask all their questions before they show up. I have never had something sold out from under me but my brother has.

ETA: I HATE negotiating...and I know dh will find something wrong with my thought process (he's a master negotiator) and then I'll reply, well, you handle it then, and he'll say something pithy... LOL Not a bash, just a prediction!!

This is how I always do it. If I have the first person saying they will coming in 4 days and a second person says they would like to come tomorrow, I will give the first person a chance to be first because they contacted me first. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing it this way. To me it seems fair.

This is how I always do it. If I have the first person saying they will coming in 4 days and a second person says they would like to come tomorrow, I will give the first person a chance to be first because they contacted me first. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing it this way. To me it seems fair.

I agree. I think you did just fine.

I go in the order I was contacted and give each person a day or so to come get the item. If they don't I offer it to the next person. I don't negotiate on price unless there is no one interested in it at full price. I also don't give out my address until they are on their way to pick up. I list something and then respond to the emails with my cell phone number (they can easily get a home address with a home phone number) and a message to call me to arrange pick up. If they call I give them a general location and tell them they can call on their way over for specifics (for portable items I meet at a local fast food place).

I agree. I think you did just fine.

Yup. That's exactly what I've done. If the first person tries to talk me down on price, I like being able to honestly say, "Well, I'll consider your offer, but I have someone else coming to look this afternoon (or whenever). If they decide not to buy it, and I haven't had a better offer by Friday (or whenever), I'll let you know."

The last guy got half-way out the front door, then turned around and said, "My wife will ask me why I didn't just pay the extra fifty bucks. I can be back in two hours with the cash (my asking price) and a truck." As soon as he had picked up the bed, I e-mailed the second person and told them it was sold.