Menu

What do I do after Phonics Pathways?

peacefully

My children have all used or are currently using phonics pathways as our primary phonics instruction. None of them actually ever "finished" the book. By the time we got near the end, they were reading regular books.

I would surround the child with real books and lots of them. Let your son create his own readers, look at the Sonlight list (or others) for suggestions. If he is finished the book, he is reading on at least a 3rd grade level, so I would select books on a 2nd grade level to build fluency. Please do not worry about the spelling, especially for a 5 yo. Mine have learned to spell through reading (not all kids do, but mine did).

HTH

When you finish PP I wouldn't replace it. Let him get his phonics from spelling, and start reading good books instead. :) If you have him read a small piece aloud to you daily you'll be able to catch common mistakes, and explain the phonics rule for him if it's one he hasn't covered.

I am not familiar with PP, but if PP does not teach all phonics then you need to finish them in some other way, not just reading or spelling. You could get OPGTR to get in the rest of phonics.

The Phonics Road is what I am using. It will teach spelling, review phonics and finish out phonics. The first level covers a lot of material. When I realized I would have to get at least 3 levels of AAS in order to cover all of that spelling I decided it was worth it. It is also in a spiral manner, which is better for us.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

We did 100EL and then Phonics Pathways for some blending help. We then went to CLE LA and Reading. But, he loves his Pathway readers best of all!! He is about to start the 3rd 2nd grade one. We don't use the workbooks. And, he is also starting small chapter books for free reading!

When you finish PP I wouldn't replace it. Let him get his phonics from spelling, and start reading good books instead. :) If you have him read a small piece aloud to you daily you'll be able to catch common mistakes, and explain the phonics rule for him if it's one he hasn't covered.

:iagree: It doesn't have to be very complicated. AAS should be enough, with plenty of reading.

About half way through PP, we have added in Reading Pathways by the same author (it used to be titled Reading Pyramids). It is great for cementing all that shows up in PP, and is very good for added help with multisyllable words. After using these two books, my boys have been able to read just about anything you throw at them. I don't think you would need any additional phonics instruction. Reminders, maybe, but not daily phonics work through another reading program. We go through PP a second time as part of our spelling program ( this has been around 1st or 2nd grade, after they have gone through PP and RP).

Honestly, you don't need to purchase anything else.

I have 3 boys, 14, 9, and 7. All of them learned to read using "Phonics Pathways."

With my younger two, we read aloud once or twice a week from the Amish "Pathway Readers" once we were 3/4 of the way through PP, simply because I wanted them to practice reading aloud.

However, with all the boys, when we finished Phonics Pathways, we moved on to reading *real* books. You don't need more curriculum after PP, simply a library card.

Schedule 20 minutes of independent reading each day. Over time, gradually increase it to 60 minutes. Help him choose fiction/nonfiction books he'll be able to read independently. (i.e. easier than he's *capable* of reading.) Gradually increase the difficulty as well.

Read together, read independently. But after each session, briefly discuss the book with your child, so you know how well he's understanding it.

Have fun! :)