Menu

Anybody have children that chronically mispronounce words?

My dd says "clift" for "cliff." It was one of those words that she learned as a toddler - like when "heymum" meant M&M and "bipit" was biscuit. It is the only one she has not outgrown. I do correct her when she says it wrong, but I'm thinking that maybe since it isn't a word used often in our house there isn't enough correction.

Yes, our dc do this. It's strange because I notice their pronounciations resemble what they learned in Latin, sometimes. Other times, it's just plain screwy. I can't help but laugh. Sometimes, I tell them they'll have an excellent education, but nobody will know it because they won't be able to figure out what they're saying. :lol: I'm just joking, of course. And they know that.

I do correct mispronounciations, too. And sometimes they tell me I'M wrong and get the dictionary out to prove it. :001_huh:

My son says TEEkle, not tickle. It drives me crazy! At this point I think he does it on purpose--he is 7.

When we are doing school and he is reading aloud I always correct his misprounciations--and make him repeat the word back correctly. Mostly he is ok now.

I think it stems from reading at an advanced level--often times you come across words you've never heard/used in real life, so you make your best guess at how it sounds/figure it out phonetically. If you read it over & over in your assumed-correctly fashion, then a habit develops. And some of those habits are more difficult to change than others!

I notice this when dh and I read the same book and there are character names that we've never heard...we both tend to assign a different pronunciation as we read silently--then when we ever discuss it, we are surprised to hear the differences!

Dc do this a lot. Most of the time it is because they are pronouncing the words phonetically when they shouldn't be. The one that drove me nuts was they would pronounce "steak" as "steek" instead of "stake". I guess we never ate steak often enough.;)

That's funny. Could it be these kids are for the most part visual learners? I know my daughter is. It would make sense that she can visualize the word "put" and say "putt" as it's an easy word, and she's been reading for some time.

Steak = stake but streak is not strake. It's a confusing language we have here! :001_huh:

Edited by darlasowders

My DD is a great reader, but good grief, she is constantly mispronouncing words. We will correct her repeatedly and she STILL mispronounces them. Anybody else experience this?

When we first started homeschooling, my oldest was in 5th grade, and had *obviously* never studied grammar (and had spent his preschool years in a small Georgia mountain town). He was so overwhelmed, especially as he realized that our entire extended family has very bad grammar, and one day he spurt out, "Drat our Sow-thern ways!" (Yes, like a female pig!! LOL)

I don't know where that came from, but it took a long time to get it corrected!

As others have mentioned, he often mispronounces words he has read but never heard. Most recently, I've heard Pair-uh-DIG-um for paradigm and Prim-ICEs for premises.

Too funny! I don't worry too much, since I used to do the same thing. (well...maybe still do!)