Menu

TOG and notebooking pages???

butterfly113

I am wondering if anyone has done notebooking pages along with TOG... we would be in UG/D levels. Would this be too much? How have you been able to incorporate them?

Thanks!

Yes I do them. There are some available for free on notebookingpages.com (scroll down.)

Edited to add: There are samples on that link too. I make a TOG workbook for my ds7 and I use the notebooking pages similar to how they are used on the samples. Every week I come up with "Ethan's Facts to Know" and he copies some on the notebooking pages, sometimes he draws pictures or I reduce the size of a coloring sheet that we tape on. Once in a while we do the map the way it is featured in the sample as well.

Edited by Karenciavo

We do notebooking in place of most of the hands on projects. We may pick one project a unit (or not), and every week do a notebooking page or more. I have a set of pages for Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome (History Scribe from currclick) which we use. We also use blank pages - ds will write a paragraph about something he learned and draw a picture to go with it. We also use History Pockets. He prefers this kind of thing over crafty projects.

Notebooking was my kids favorite part of doing TOG when they were UG & D. I got a lot of my ideas from this website http://highland.hitcho.com.au/tog2.htm

Hi there,

Do you mind if I ask you long you've been a TOG user? Did you start using it when your children were in LG and if so, do you think it was worth it to start that early, or do you feel that waiting until D or R is the better choice? I'd love to hear your opinion and what you think of TOG in general since you appear to be a long time user. So many threads I've read about TOG have TOG users of only a year or two, not a seasoned TOG user as you seem to be. Any advice for someone with young children who is

interested in using TOG in the future? :001_smile:

--snip--

Do you mind if I ask you long you've been a TOG user? Did you start using it when your children were in LG and if so, do you think it was worth it to start that early, or do you feel that waiting until D or R is the better choice? I'd love to hear your opinion and what you think of TOG in general since you appear to be a long time user. So many threads I've read about TOG have TOG users of only a year or two, not a seasoned TOG user as you seem to be. Any advice for someone with young children who is

interested in using TOG in the future?

--------

We're in our 6th year with TOG. Obviously, I love it :D

We started TOG at the beginning of our 2nd rotation through history, having used the WTM as our guide through the first 4 years. Ds was 5th grade, dd in 3rd. For us, it was the perfect time to jump in.

I was always drawn to TOG, had heard about it in its early years, but it was pulled from the market for a year or so, and I just kept on with WTM. When it was time to go through the Ancients again, TOG was back on the market, its earlier issues had been addressed, and I felt the Lord was nudging me to use it.

The dialectic and rhetoric part of the plan was always the big draw for me. To be quite honest, I don't think using it in the LG years is necessary, unless you have older kids too. I think SOTW would be just fine for those years, concentrating your efforts on the 3 r's. Then, around the time your oldest is in 5th or 6th, you could make the jump to TOG. Just add in a few topics/features each week or 2 as you go along, until you find the right mix for your family. I posted on another thread this morning about how we used it in the D/UG years for my 2 kids.

I so agree with TOG's philosophy of socratic discussion, reading meaty works, and *thinking*. I am just a total Marcia Somerville fan, I admit. Every article I read from her, further cements my intention for using the program. Her wisdom and insights speak to me. I want to be like her when I grow up ;) I encourage you to read as many of her articles as you can find on the Loom and the TOG website, and on the TOG forum. Her philosophy will become clear to you, and then you can make the right decision for your family.

I am totally at peace with using TOG -- I see the fruits of it coming forth in my kids each day, and I'm not even interested in reading about other plans. I hope you find the program that the Lord is leading you to use, so you can feel that peace too!

I so agree with TOG's philosophy of socratic discussion, reading meaty works, and *thinking*. I am just a total Marcia Somerville fan, I admit. Every article I read from her, further cements my intention for using the program. Her wisdom and insights speak to me. I want to be like her when I grow up ;) I encourage you to read as many of her articles as you can find on the Loom and the TOG website, and on the TOG forum. Her philosophy will become clear to you, and then you can make the right decision for your family.

:lol: I just had to laugh. You should have seen me the first time Marcia answered me on the TOG boards. I was giddy!

Definitely listen to "tips for teaching a houseful." It it really mostly about lower grammar students. It is not just TOG related it is just really great advice from someone who has BTDT.

jewel7123 - As someone who is using TOG with all lower grammar I would say there is nothing in TOG (for them) that you could not do on your own if you wanted to put in the time (I know your feelings on SOTW). You could even use the table of contents for each year to follow their schedule. Look at the book list to get title ideas. Seriously, Marcia put that info there so someone with limited resources could "glean" from it. Using TOG right now for me is 1)self education 2)booklist, schedule and activity ideas 3)I am sure I want to use this later so this way I can spread out the cost (I spend very little on books for this age). Next time through I can spend more on just books.

If you are not sure this is where you will want to be starting in fifth grade - I would not buy it yet. There are so many other things you could do. :001_smile:

jewel7123 - As someone who is using TOG with all lower grammar I would say there is nothing in TOG (for them) that you could not do on your own if you wanted to put in the time (I know your feelings on SOTW). You could even use the table of contents for each year to follow their schedule. Look at the book list to get title ideas. Seriously, Marcia put that info there so someone with limited resources could "glean" from it. Using TOG right now for me is 1)self education 2)booklist, schedule and activity ideas 3)I am sure I want to use this later so this way I can spread out the cost (I spend very little on books for this age). Next time through I can spend more on just books.

If you are not sure this is where you will want to be starting in fifth grade - I would not buy it yet. There are so many other things you could do. :001_smile:

So you're saying for the LG level I could just look at the books being used in TOG and come up with the schedule on my own basically? I have thought about doing something like that......just figured I would need a spine of some sort. That's why I've been looking at MOH 1.

I am totally at peace with using TOG -- I see the fruits of it coming forth in my kids each day, and I'm not even interested in reading about other plans. I hope you find the program that the Lord is leading you to use, so you can feel that peace too!

Thank you for sharing Jana. As I said, it's refreshing to hear from someone who has used TOG for the long haul and is happy with it. :001_smile:

So you're saying for the LG level I could just look at the books being used in TOG and come up with the schedule on my own basically? I have thought about doing something like that......just figured I would need a spine of some sort. That's why I've been looking at MOH 1.

Yeah, if you look at their website each year has contents so you could get an idea what the subject is. If you go to the bookshelf you can see what books they are using. Also check out A Book in Time.

That will give you more options. You will have to figure out which pages to read each week. I know there is a lot of SOTW fans here but I love using these fun picture books.

Then on that year plan page is a ton of links on the right hand side. You could get coloring pages, projects, ect. The only thing you couldn't follow would be literature. IMO, not a big deal at this age. I hope that gives you some ideas.:001_smile:

:lol: I just had to laugh. You should have seen me the first time Marcia answered me on the TOG boards. I was giddy!

Definitely listen to "tips for teaching a houseful." It it really mostly about lower grammar students. It is not just TOG related it is just really great advice from someone who has BTDT.

Someone else advised me to check these tips out, but I never could find them. Do you have a link for this?

I love doing notebooking pages with TOG. Since we're doing Year 4, I got the History Scribe pages. They were the only company I could find who had pages for the 20th century. I just printed out the table of contents and figured out which pages go with which week. We'll be doing the Ancients next year (but not TOG) and I'm going to use the pages at notebookingpages.com.

I love doing notebooking pages with TOG. Since we're doing Year 4, I got the History Scribe pages. They were the only company I could find who had pages for the 20th century. I just printed out the table of contents and figured out which pages go with which week. We'll be doing the Ancients next year (but not TOG) and I'm going to use the pages at notebookingpages.com.

Rhonda,

I was wondering if you would share why you aren't staying with TOG?

Mainly because it's expensive and I don't take advantage of what makes it expensive. I'm not willing to put in the time that is required to make it completely effective. So, we're going with something simpler, that still gets the job done. I'm looking at Mystery of History for next year, and Notgrass for high school.

I think if we were part of a co-op, I'd stick with it. However, I only know of two co-ops in my area. One is really too far (45 min - 1 hr). The other one denied us membership because nobody in the group knew us.