Menu

What makes it "formal schooling"?

lovinmomma

I'm faced with a quandry. What constitutes "formal schooling"? I'm currently reading the newest version of WTM for the first time. :eek: I feel like I feel somewhere between CM and Classical. I'm eclectic.

Anyways, back to the point. In reading WTM SWB states that formal schooling should not begin before age 6. I emphatically agree with this. In fact, I'm more inclined to say age 7. The problem that arises is what consitutes formal schooling? My kids are 4 and 5.

Here is what I'm doing currently:

Nature study- 1x per week (this is just observing right now)

Composer Study- 1x per week (just listen to a piece 1x per week)

Science- Reading a book here and there (no more than 1 per week) and doing fun things like growing flowers, hatching chicks, etc.

Books- Lots of good books and poetry

These are the subjects that get a little sketchier for me:

Math- I recently switched to living math (see signature) with a few pages of Singapore here and there. No more than 2 per week.

Language Arts- We want to use SWR which is vertical phonics. So, I was about to start teaching the kids to write 1 phonogram per week and learn the sounds.

Language Arts is the subject that I'm most worried about. I don't want to burn-out my ds4.

Basically, I have these ideas of what I want my homeschool to feel like, but no idea how to get there.

I think the biggest difference for me is with my 6 year old I require things to be done. With my 4 yo I say do you want to do math or reading? He says math then I ask, which book/game? He has to do the pages in order but he can stop at 1 or he can do 4. There is never a moment when "school" is not fun for him. Now the same could be said for my 6 yo but (IMO) she is to the age where just because it is not fun doesn't mean we don't have to get it done. I guess that is how I loosely define it anyways.

I'm faced with a quandry. What constitutes "formal schooling"? I'm currently reading the newest version of WTM for the first time. :eek: I feel like I feel somewhere between CM and Classical. I'm eclectic.

Anyways, back to the point. In reading WTM SWB states that formal schooling should not begin before age 6. I emphatically agree with this. In fact, I'm more inclined to say age 7. The problem that arises is what consitutes formal schooling? My kids are 4 and 5.

Here is what I'm doing currently:

Nature study- 1x per week (this is just observing right now)

Composer Study- 1x per week (just listen to a piece 1x per week)

Science- Reading a book here and there (no more than 1 per week) and doing fun things like growing flowers, hatching chicks, etc.

Books- Lots of good books and poetry

These are the subjects that get a little sketchier for me:

Math- I recently switched to living math (see signature) with a few pages of Singapore here and there. No more than 2 per week.

Language Arts- We want to use SWR which is vertical phonics. So, I was about to start teaching the kids to write 1 phonogram per week and learn the sounds.

Language Arts is the subject that I'm most worried about. I don't want to burn-out my ds4.

Basically, I have these ideas of what I want my homeschool to feel like, but no idea how to get there.

Let's say the first time I read WTM I wondered how on earth we would ever get there! We are getting closer all the time!

First, notice how she says 6 or 7....hmmm sounds like PR :)

I like what you have laid out, but I'd caution that 4 is really young still and although a child can memorize, they can't always apply what they memorize. That's why taking it slow is great. A letter a week sounds reasonable, so long as lessons are short!

Books, stories, games are a great plan. First glance seems like you'll be right on. My baby (now 7) really did learn math through osmosis for K and we were able to transition into Singapore very easily. I'm anxious to read your blog. I have an up and coming Ker and I'm thinking we'll be all about fun!

IDK, I think formal schooling for someone so young might be...sit here...do this....as opposed to playing games for learning. Hands on teaching and learning, vs. worksheets, workbooks, etc. YMMV.

I have been rereading WTM again, as I usually do in the spring and I am so pleased that as I reread, I am discovering we are getting closer and closer all the time!

I don't really know. I think it's strange that the book recommends waiting, while at the same time going on about how the Wise children were soooo advanced because they all learned to read before starting K....and from what I can tell in the book, they didn't learn through osmosis. lol

I think formal schooling for someone so young might be...sit here...do this....as opposed to playing games for learning.

I agree. I think written math at this point, unless the kid demands workbook pages (and some do), is overkill. There are great math games, spatial puzzles, math picture books, and plenty of things to count, add, and put into patterns or categories all around the house. Building with blocks or Legos is actually a foundation for math and science, one that many grown-up scientists mention when reminiscing about their childhoods. (For that matter, so is lots and lots of playing in the mud. I have read several accounts of scientists who talk quite seriously about what they learned from mud: density, what different textures mud had with various amounts of water added, how to make mud walls stand up, etc.)

The general point is to avoid requiring or imposing particular kinds of work on young children before they are ready, not only to do it, but to learn in that way. What you're doing with nature study and science -- the raising chicks, growing flowers -- that kind of thing is perfect, and you can do similar things with language and math. Keep it away from paper for a bit longer unless your child is raring to write. There will be years and years of worksheets and textbooks.

On p. 30, SWB says "the first four or five years of a child's life should be spent on informal teaching--preparing the child for first grade work. In about 30 minutes per day, plus informal teaching as your go about your family life, you can easily teach your child beginning reading, writing, and math concepts, all without workbooks or teacher's manuals".

So, I think her point is that you don't need to make your 3, 4, or 5 year old child sit at a table and do "school at home" for an hour or more each day--teaching them should be just a fun simple extension of daily activities. Cuddle up on the couch and do 5-10 minutes out of a phonics primer, read aloud to them as much as possible, count throughout the day, etc.

My ds4 finds it great fun to sit down with me and practice his letters with his pip squeak markers. He doesn't realize he's learning--it's just fun so we keep going. If he cried at the mention of doing his letters, or practicing reading, or anything else we do, we wouldn't do it.

At age 5, I do require about 30 minutes a day. Age 6, it's about 30-60 minutes, plus group work. But at 4 it's all purely optional.

I think the biggest difference for me is with my 6 year old I require things to be done. With my 4 yo I say do you want to do math or reading? He says math then I ask, which book/game? He has to do the pages in order but he can stop at 1 or he can do 4. There is never a moment when "school" is not fun for him. Now the same could be said for my 6 yo but (IMO) she is to the age where just because it is not fun doesn't mean we don't have to get it done. I guess that is how I loosely define it anyways.

Okay, this makes sense. Thank you.

Let's say the first time I read WTM I wondered how on earth we would ever get there! We are getting closer all the time!

Yep! That's me!

First, notice how she says 6 or 7....hmmm sounds like PR :)

I like what you have laid out, but I'd caution that 4 is really young still and although a child can memorize, they can't always apply what they memorize. That's why taking it slow is great. A letter a week sounds reasonable, so long as lessons are short!

I agree. 4 is really young. He is so close in age to his sister that sometimes I end up just grouping them together and forgetting that he IS 11 months younger.

Books, stories, games are a great plan. First glance seems like you'll be right on. My baby (now 7) really did learn math through osmosis for K and we were able to transition into Singapore very easily. I'm anxious to read your blog. I have an up and coming Ker and I'm thinking we'll be all about fun!

Yea! I like it when people actually read my blogs. Ha!

IDK, I think formal schooling for someone so young might be...sit here...do this....as opposed to playing games for learning. Hands on teaching and learning, vs. worksheets, workbooks, etc. YMMV.

Okay. I think that I need to type some of this stuff up and read it at my weekly planning session every week to remind myself where my focus is to be.

I have been rereading WTM again, as I usually do in the spring and I am so pleased that as I reread, I am discovering we are getting closer and closer all the time!

I hope that I get to that point!

I agree. I think written math at this point, unless the kid demands workbook pages (and some do), is overkill. There are great math games, spatial puzzles, math picture books, and plenty of things to count, add, and put into patterns or categories all around the house. Building with blocks or Legos is actually a foundation for math and science, one that many grown-up scientists mention when reminiscing about their childhoods. (For that matter, so is lots and lots of playing in the mud. I have read several accounts of scientists who talk quite seriously about what they learned from mud: density, what different textures mud had with various amounts of water added, how to make mud walls stand up, etc.)

The general point is to avoid requiring or imposing particular kinds of work on young children before they are ready, not only to do it, but to learn in that way. What you're doing with nature study and science -- the raising chicks, growing flowers -- that kind of thing is perfect, and you can do similar things with language and math. Keep it away from paper for a bit longer unless your child is raring to write. There will be years and years of worksheets and textbooks.

Very good points! I will definately need to print this one out! Thank you!

Getting out of your pajamas. :D

Woolybear

:lol::lol:

I just wrote a blog post about the value of informal schooling, how even with a high schooler it can be a valuable way to learn.

Remember that the WTM is a guide, not a prescription. Follow your instincts and have fun! Think outside the box and use games like Mad Libs or scrabble or anything else you find that is fun and disguises the learning. There are story books for every possible concept if you just look.

Kids grow up far too quickly, and the times you will remember most fondly are the afternoons you spent cuddled together and reading, or out exploring the world. And trust me, I practically unschooled my kids until they were about 9, given a rich environment, kids will learn -- they won't be ruined!

On p. 30, SWB says "the first four or five years of a child's life should be spent on informal teaching--preparing the child for first grade work. In about 30 minutes per day, plus informal teaching as your go about your family life, you can easily teach your child beginning reading, writing, and math concepts, all without workbooks or teacher's manuals".

So, I think her point is that you don't need to make your 3, 4, or 5 year old child sit at a table and do "school at home" for an hour or more each day--teaching them should be just a fun simple extension of daily activities. Cuddle up on the couch and do 5-10 minutes out of a phonics primer, read aloud to them as much as possible, count throughout the day, etc.

My ds4 finds it great fun to sit down with me and practice his letters with his pip squeak markers. He doesn't realize he's learning--it's just fun so we keep going. If he cried at the mention of doing his letters, or practicing reading, or anything else we do, we wouldn't do it.

At age 5, I do require about 30 minutes a day. Age 6, it's about 30-60 minutes, plus group work. But at 4 it's all purely optional.

:iagree:

It should be a game until five or six, if they do not want to do it, it should not be forced..at all.

I think it really depends on the child (and parent for that matter). What may appropriate for one child may not be for another...even within the same family.

For instance... my youngest ds is 4. I had in mind to do very little with him this year "formally". He really got bored though with the easy counting, patterning, single letters... whatever I gave him. He whizzed through it and to me it all just seemed like "busy work". So, I started teaching him to read more formally, did one math sheet/day (only 4 days a week), worked on forming letters (because he writes A LOT) and he's in Cubbies AWANA this year so that's his memorization. He LOVES it all. He wants to do "school" just like his big siblings. He sits in on Science and History and does picture drawings in both subjects. He narrates to me one sentence and I write it for him. He kind of felt "left out" when I wasn't schooling him formally. (This is a child who cried today because he couldn't sit at a computer and type a story like his bigger brother. He came to the realization that he's just not capable of spelling on his own yet and got very upset!)

Now, my eldest I didn't do ANYTHING with at 4 y/o. Really, the only thing I did consistently with my first 3 was read to them. We did day to day incidental learning, but nothing formal... they didn't go to preschool either. I always had a baby 18 mos. later to deal with so any "formal" anything was out of the question for me. (I have DEEP respect for the moms out there who can tend to babies/toddlers AND homeschool olders!!!!) BTW... none of them are any worse for the wear and I think my little 4 y/o will be just fine too. Different kids... different strokes for different folks....