Menu

If you have a large family and are doing history/science totally the WTM way

:bigear:

I would love to hear about this as well. I split up my Kindergarten dd and my fourth grade ds this year and it doesn't seem to be going well. Everyone wants to listen/participate in all the sessions. I am going to have to try and get everyone together next year.

I have (for the past two years), using SL history, kept my two boys on the same history curriculum. I have used the older student's curriculum for the younger one, as well. Little brother is a sharp student so this has worked well for us. Next year, we will fold in my kindy student with the fourth grade history of the oldest child. I have not thought through what will need to happen when she is in first grade so I can't speak to that. One year at a time here...however, SL is not exactly the four year rotation of WTM so this may not be helpful to you.

Edited by texasmama
adding content

Right now we listen to Story of the World as a family, discuss it, and then do the mapwork still all together. I'll assign reading for my oldest (she's 12) and will either assign reading or read aloud to the other two (10 & 7.)

I've been trying to decide how to ramp it up tonight though for a more pure WTM approach and I think I have it figured out. We'll still do SOTW all together, but then I'll have dd12 read and outline from the Usborne History Encyclopedia while the other 2 narrate SOTW. Then we'll do our mapwork, add the dates to the timeline (dd 12 will be in charge of this), and then we'll do our other reading as we are now.

I don't do the right section for the right years. My oldest started with the Ancients like it is supposed to go but the younger ones all just fall in whereever we are. So it does not always correspond with the years in the book. I just figure it will all work out in the end, even if it's not sequential. I read SOW to everyone and then assign things seperately according to age.

Right now we listen to Story of the World as a family, discuss it, and then do the mapwork still all together. I'll assign reading for my oldest (she's 12) and will either assign reading or read aloud to the other two (10 & 7.)

I've been trying to decide how to ramp it up tonight though for a more pure WTM approach and I think I have it figured out. We'll still do SOTW all together, but then I'll have dd12 read and outline from the Usborne History Encyclopedia while the other 2 narrate SOTW. Then we'll do our mapwork, add the dates to the timeline (dd 12 will be in charge of this), and then we'll do our other reading as we are now.

This is similar to what we are doing this year with Ancients, except we are using MOH as our spine. We read the MOH text together and then each child will do activities appropriate to age/stage ala WTM eg: outlining for Logic stage, narrations and pics for Grammar stage etc. I will be adding relevant SOTW readings for my younger children as we go too - my older kids have already done it.

I think one of the main things I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is how to go through it with each one. For example, I'll have 3 logic students next year. Would they just take turns with the spine to outline from it? Do I sit with them to make sure they get the main idea of the paragrphs correctly? Do we do it all together?

I'll also have 2 grammar students. How would I go about making sure that we're on the same subject as the logic students, since we'll be using 2 different spines? Would I ever have the entire group as a whole doing something together?

How do I go about discussing what we read with each one? Individually? As a group? Etc.

Okay, you'll have 3 logic students. I would probably have them each in a different spine unless their skills are very close to being the same. WTM has a few different recommendations. The first few weeks I think you would have to work with them to make sure they're getting the main points, but after that I imagine they'll be able to do it on there own. I would pick the logic students pages to read based upon the chapters in SOTW (if that's what you're using for the grammar students.) Most of the references are in the Activity Guide for SOTW. I highly, highly recommend reading the SOTW all together, even with the logic stage kids. My 12 year old still absorbs quite a bit from it and then sending the older ones off to do their outlines. Even though you didn't ask, I would be inclined to just start with the ancients for all of them, since you have so many different levels.

We discuss everything as a group, which is what I really enjoy about doing history all on the same page, so to speak.

I think one of the main things I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is how to go through it with each one. For example, I'll have 3 logic students next year. Would they just take turns with the spine to outline from it? Do I sit with them to make sure they get the main idea of the paragrphs correctly? Do we do it all together?

I'll also have 2 grammar students. How would I go about making sure that we're on the same subject as the logic students, since we'll be using 2 different spines? Would I ever have the entire group as a whole doing something together?

How do I go about discussing what we read with each one? Individually? As a group? Etc.

I am thinking of this next year with 2 R level, 1 D level, 1 UG and 2 LG. What I was thinking is to read SOTW aloud to D on down. Then the UG/LG and I would do map, narrations and extra reading aloud together.

The D level would go on to read their encyclopedia and make notes per WTM. They woud then be on their own to read additional sources and outline. I think at first you would have to sit and help them find additonal sources and outline, but as time went on they would be able to do this independently.

I think a group discussion at the end of the week with D on down could work, Some of the info might be over the UG/LG heads but at that age it's all about exposure anyways.

Since you have three in the same level, maybe do the reading outloud together and then they can do their independent work at different times during the day, While student 1 is outlining, student 2 is doing his map or additonal reading etc. Think this would work?

My R level would do their history reading/outlining/map and research on their own. We could go over their context pages during our disucssion times. I hope to read through the GB together, discussing them as we go.

I am on the fence on how well this would actually work here. I will probably chicken out and stick with TOG for the hand holding :D

Edited by Quiver0f10

Thanks y'all...this is helping me flesh it out in my brain a bit.:001_smile:

So I would use SOTW as my "super spine," and I'd assign reading pages from the logic spine based on SOTW? I wonder if anyone has ever done this so I don't have to reinvent the wheel LOL!

If I remember correctly the SOTW guide has pages listed for both editions of the KF. Not sure @ the newer WTM spine recommendations though.

If I remember correctly the SOTW guide has pages listed for both editions of the KF. Not sure @ the newer WTM spine recommendations though.

Ah ha...just found that! I'd probably use the UILE for all 3 of my logic students. They'll be in 8th, 6th, and 5th, but the 8th grader has comprehension issues, so he needs something at a slightly lower reading level. I don't have a copy of the older WTM...what age group is the KF book recommended for?

OK this is looking more and more doable!!!:D I had planned to use Biblioplan next year...now I'm on the fence about that LOL!

Ah ha...just found that! I'd probably use the UILE for all 3 of my logic students. They'll be in 8th, 6th, and 5th, but the 8th grader has comprehension issues, so he needs something at a slightly lower reading level. I don't have a copy of the older WTM...what age group is the KF book recommended for?

OK this is looking more and more doable!!!:D I had planned to use Biblioplan next year...now I'm on the fence about that LOL!

I believe it is meant for grades 5-8. I have a copy of the second edition book that you can have if you want. Just PM me your address and I will get it in the mail.

So I would use SOTW as my "super spine," and I'd assign reading pages from the logic spine based on SOTW? I wonder if anyone has ever done this so I don't have to reinvent the wheel LOL!

:) Love the term "super spine". :)

That's pretty much the way we will do things here, using MOH as the "super spine" then adding in SOTW, logic spine etc.

Not a huge family, but when I had a logic/grammar split, this is exactly what we did. SOTW-AG was the "super-spine" (love that!). I had them use the various encyclopedias *before* reading SOTW since my logic student had never read them, and there is more info in SOTW than in the encyclopedias. SOTW often filled in for the "extra" reading and report-fodder. Although we did historical fiction read-alouds all together, most of their reading/outlining/report writing was done separately.

When they were both logic stage, I used KIHW. They each had their own copy. We would usually read that together, and create an outline together. That meant my 5th grader was doing two-and three-level outlines, but he seems ok, and it did make my life a little easier. (We did topic outlines rather than full sentences.) Later, they would read on their own (usually SOTW) and the length of their reports varied by grade.

Now they are split Rhetoric/Logic, and I really miss those days of being all on the same page! Enjoy it while it lasts!!!

I am thinking of this next year with 2 R level, 1 D level, 1 UG and 2 LG. What I was thinking is to read SOTW aloud to D on down. Then the UG/LG and I would do map, narrations and extra reading aloud together.

The D level would go on to read their encyclopedia and make notes per WTM. They woud then be on their own to read additional sources and outline. I think at first you would have to sit and help them find additonal sources and outline, but as time went on they would be able to do this independently.

I think a group discussion at the end of the week with D on down could work, Some of the info might be over the UG/LG heads but at that age it's all about exposure anyways.

Since you have three in the same level, maybe do the reading outloud together and then they can do their independent work at different times during the day, While student 1 is outlining, student 2 is doing his map or additonal reading etc. Think this would work?

My R level would do their history reading/outlining/map and research on their own. We could go over their context pages during our disucssion times. I hope to read through the GB together, discussing them as we go.

I am on the fence on how well this would actually work here. I will probably chicken out and stick with TOG for the hand holding :D

This is almost exactly as I use TOG, Quiver :) I put WTM to use, only using the book selections from TOG (b/c encycl. are boring for some of my dc, while a couple others love them!)

Not a huge family, but when I had a logic/grammar split, this is exactly what we did. SOTW-AG was the "super-spine" (love that!). I had them use the various encyclopedias *before* reading SOTW since my logic student had never read them, and there is more info in SOTW than in the encyclopedias. SOTW often filled in for the "extra" reading and report-fodder. Although we did historical fiction read-alouds all together, most of their reading/outlining/report writing was done separately.

When they were both logic stage, I used KIHW. They each had their own copy. We would usually read that together, and create an outline together. That meant my 5th grader was doing two-and three-level outlines, but he seems ok, and it did make my life a little easier. (We did topic outlines rather than full sentences.) Later, they would read on their own (usually SOTW) and the length of their reports varied by grade.

Now they are split Rhetoric/Logic, and I really miss those days of being all on the same page! Enjoy it while it lasts!!!

This helps a lot!!!

I think I've decided to use Biblioplan as my guide but then do all the notebooking, timelines, outlines, etc. the WTM way. From what I've read BP is based off of WTM anyway, and it will just save me some planning I think.:D

This is almost exactly as I use TOG, Quiver :) I put WTM to use, only using the book selections from TOG (b/c encycl. are boring for some of my dc, while a couple others love them!)

It is pretty much how we are using TOG too. My biggest complaint with TOG is the amount of reading can be overwhelming, but I have read that year 2, which is what we are currently using, is the heaviest and that years 3 and 4 slow down. I am hoping things will go a bit better next year.

This helps a lot!!!

I think I've decided to use Biblioplan as my guide but then do all the notebooking, timelines, outlines, etc. the WTM way. From what I've read BP is based off of WTM anyway, and it will just save me some planning I think.:D

Oh, good! I was going to suggest you get Biblioplan. I've got 1 Logic, 1 UG, 2 LG, and the preschooler. Biblioplan makes it so easy to adjust readings & assignments for the different ages.

I might be the only one with a large(ish) family, that doesn't keep the kids together. Each kid has their own spine, or part of the spine. I read it to the younger ones, the older ones read it to themselves. I check out library books for each one. I keep a list for each kid, using the WTM recommendations and the books that I really liked the first time my son went through the list. I mark off the books as they read them, and don't feel bad about skipping topics they aren't interested in. The only extra time it takes me is putting so many library books on hold. The older kids still crowd around when I read the little kids books. I think it is a great review. For example: my son loved Sir Gawain and the Green Knight when he was in 1st. It was his favorite book and he read every version of it I could find, several times, but he totally forgot about it by two years later and was thrilled to recently rediscover it.

It is pretty much how we are using TOG too. My biggest complaint with TOG is the amount of reading can be overwhelming, but I have read that year 2, which is what we are currently using, is the heaviest and that years 3 and 4 slow down. I am hoping things will go a bit better next year.
It does slow down! We just finished Y3, Unit 1 and what a difference! I also decided to let them choose 1 in-depth, instead of reading them all...I was too brutal!

I might be the only one with a large(ish) family, that doesn't keep the kids together. Each kid has their own spine, or part of the spine. I read it to the younger ones, the older ones read it to themselves. I check out library books for each one. I keep a list for each kid, using the WTM recommendations and the books that I really liked the first time my son went through the list. I mark off the books as they read them, and don't feel bad about skipping topics they aren't interested in. The only extra time it takes me is putting so many library books on hold. The older kids still crowd around when I read the little kids books. I think it is a great review. For example: my son loved Sir Gawain and the Green Knight when he was in 1st. It was his favorite book and he read every version of it I could find, several times, but he totally forgot about it by two years later and was thrilled to recently rediscover it.
I'm so glad you mentioned this. I always tell people their dc will forget most of what they do for science and history in the first couple of years and they all think, "Not my dc." Yeah, well, mine forgot all the stuff I spent forever creating on my own! I "wouldn't" use curric. then for science and history...then I got a grip! Now, I know hist & sci for the little ones should be light, easy, more CM cuz when we come back around, they'll forget most everything anyways!

It does slow down! We just finished Y3, Unit 1 and what a difference! I also decided to let them choose 1 in-depth, instead of reading them all...I was too brutal!

This is encouraging! I didn't think of only doing one in depth istead of all. I think we will try this for the last 12 weeks of this year and see how it goes. Thanks!