Menu

Latin before 3rd grade

brijen97

Hi! I was just looking at the Rainbow Resource catalog and noticed Prima Latina which is supposed to be an introductory course for K-3 to Latin. It says it is meant to be used before Latina Christina. I was wondering if anyone has used it and if you did how it went. Thanks! Jennifer

We used it in 2nd grade but didn't finish it, so we are using it again this year, in 4th.

Easy-Peasy--a simple intro, just 5 words a week, reinforcing grammar. We didn't like the DVD's b/c we thought they were dull, but we did like the tape/cd for pronounciation.

I used it way back when with my oldest when he was in 3rd grade I think it was....maybe in 2nd? Can't remember, but it was fine. He did fine, it isn't the most exciting course, but everything doesn't have to be. ;) Lively Latin wasn't around then for us to choose from. It was easy to implement and we worked on vocab and memorization. Easy peasy as someone already said.

We are using it now, and dd and I both like it. It's a straightforward, gentle, no-frills intro. We use the dvds and enjoy them as well. Leigh Lowe has a Southern accent, but so do we...so no problem there. :D We used Song School Latin last year, and started this year off with Minimus, which is a very fun intro to Latin. I've misplaced my teacher book :sad: so we are focusing on Prima for now and will add it back in again soon (hopefully).

We did and it went well. You can take it easy, practice pronunciation and things, because the vocabulary will be gone over in Latina Christiana. I would recommend it, for sure, it's a nice introduction and it makes LC not so hard, because some of the words and many of the prayers are already familiar :)

We did it when dd's were 1st and third. It is easy. It's vocab and memorizing prayers. If you plan on using classical pronunciation, I would skip it. It make things harder for us when we switched to Lively Latin, which we all like much better. I think I will wait with my younger two until 3rd grade and do LL, unless something better pops up.