Menu

High School History??

Erica in PA

Okay, it's suddenly hitting me that my son is going to be in 9th grade next year, and I haven't given any thought to what how we will cover history in high school!! He has used mostly the Story of the World series, co-op classes, or things I have pulled together on my own, for the past 8 years, and now... I don't know WHAT to do!

The only time period that he has not studied much is the 20th Century, so I know that is something I would like to spend more time on at some point in high school. Other than that, it's just a huge open space, waiting to be filled.

I have no idea about programs, books, courses, anything....Any suggestions?

ETA: Oops, I just realized I should be posting this on the High School Board!!! See, I really don't have my head wrapped around the fact that ds is going to be in HIGH SCHOOL!!! :)

Edited by Erica in PA

Okay, it's suddenly hitting me that my son is going to be in 9th grade next year, and I haven't given any thought to what how we will cover history in high school!! He has used mostly the Story of the World series, co-op classes, or things I have pulled together on my own, for the past 8 years, and now... I don't know WHAT to do!

The only time period that he has not studied much is the 20th Century, so I know that is something I would like to spend more time on at some point in high school. Other than that, it's just a huge open space, waiting to be filled.

I have no idea about programs, books, courses, anything....Any suggestions?

What about using SWB's adult history series (the first two of four are out now)? He could read it, take notes, do extra reading on anything in them that interests him, keep a timeline. He could also read Great Books and do a GB study as described in TWTM (reading, setting books in context, timeline, discussing, writing).

Hey Erica,

It depends on what you want to do with the high school years. I am tending to follow a more traditional approach. We are doing goegraphy in 9th with BJU. Then world history in 10th with Notgrass and American in 11th also with Notgrass. Senior year will be American gov. and economics. You could continue doing the 4 year rotation by following the WTM by doing a great books study. There is also TOG out there which follows the 4 year rotation but is pricey. You could also consider Omnibus by Veritas. Lots of choices!!! Hope that doesn't muddy the waters too much ;).

We are enjoying Sonlight Core 300 for 20th century.

That doesn't answer what you will do for Highschool as a whole though sorry. With J we used History Odyssey (meh) for Medieval, and our own thing for Early Modern. Next son I'm thinking either TWTM suggestions or Sonlight.

I'm planning on Beautiful Feet for high school history. I will need to add a civics (government) credit and an econ credit from another source since BF does not offer that. I also want to add more geography. We are doing Around the World in 180 Days this year in 8th and I am thinking about BJU's Cultural Geo for high school.

Hey Erica,

It depends on what you want to do with the high school years. I am tending to follow a more traditional approach. We are doing goegraphy in 9th with BJU. Then world history in 10th with Notgrass and American in 11th also with Notgrass. Senior year will be American gov. and economics. You could continue doing the 4 year rotation by following the WTM by doing a great books study. There is also TOG out there which follows the 4 year rotation but is pricey. You could also consider Omnibus by Veritas. Lots of choices!!! Hope that doesn't muddy the waters too much ;).

Thank you, Chris. I do think I tend to lean more toward the traditional approach as well. We've been through the history cycle twice, and to be honest, I don't think either of us has it in us to do it all again. :tongue_smilie: I like the way you're breaking it down, with one year of world history, one year of American history, and other social studies-type classes the other two years. When you do it this way, how do you do literature? Do you tie it into what you're learning in history at all, or is it totally separate?

Do you want Christian content? If so, then maybe look at My Father's World:

http://www.mfwbooks.com/highschool.html

Their h.s. programs include history, English Lit/Composition & Bible (1 credit in each subject, per year). Then you use whatever you want for science, math, and electives, although they do have recommendations for those subjects.

Thank you. I will check it out!

We are enjoying Sonlight Core 300 for 20th century.

That doesn't answer what you will do for Highschool as a whole though sorry. With J we used History Odyssey (meh) for Medieval, and our own thing for Early Modern. Next son I'm thinking either TWTM suggestions or Sonlight.

I do like the looks of Sonlight 300, so I will have to look into that option a bit more. Would that count as a world history credit?

I used SL Core 100 for my oldest in 9th grade, but neither one of us liked it. The Hakim books were fine, but I didn't feel the Core went deep enough for high school. Then I tried to go it alone through world history using a Prentice Hall text, but we didn't care for that either. This year we went back to SL for Core 300, but don't like it either. I won't use SL for high school level again. I'm going to government with her next year, but I'll either use Thinkwell or Oak Meadow.

I am using Oak Meadow with my 9th grader this year and like it. I will stick with Oak Meadow for her history all the way through.

I do like the looks of Sonlight 300, so I will have to look into that option a bit more. Would that count as a world history credit?

Erica, I just wanted to say that we used Sonlight 300 (actually right before they updated it), and I gave my son credit for "American History in The World Context: The 20th Century" or something like that. It had lots of American history in it, but also a lot of world history. By the time you get to the 20th cent, things are so connected!

If you do the American, World, Econ type rotation, you can just add in great books (or Great Books, depending on your preference! lol) from each of the four time periods. We used Omnibus with tweaking for two years, and did Ancients, Med/Ren, and then 20th cent, and then a year that was a semester of poetry/short story and a semester of early mod. Ds only applied to one school; I wrote out his book list and included it in the transcript. I actually wrote it out as we had read the books (in the "rotation" order) and had a backup list in the more standard "World Lit, American Lit, Brit Lit" order.