Menu

My 14yods plays classical piano beautifully. I took him for lessons to a local school

on Friday and paid $25 for a lesson. At the teacher's request, he played a piece, and the instructor was impressed. After the second piece, the instructor told me that my son needs a better teacher than he. My ds played a third piece, and we left. 18 minutes had elapsed. I don't think I should have had to pay for a lesson, seeing as no instruction was given. He gave a mini-performance. Thoughts?

My next question...It was suggested that we go to the local university to find lessons from an instructor there. The local teacher believes that my ds should definitely qualify for a music scholarship. What does one do with a degree in music? The thought of a music degree NEVER crossed our minds.

*sigh*

I took 3 of our Dc to a new violin instructor. I THOUGHT we would be paying, and as I was about to write a check, she said..."no, no. There is no charge for today. This was an assessment"

Each child played 2 songs, and then they discussed where they should be placed and at what level.

I agree. Was it cash or check? Stop pay the check if it was!

good luck

Was this a music school? I find it hard to believe that a teacher would pass on a fine student.

Do you have a community music program at a local college? Both my children take piano lessons from incredible teachers at a local university. I highly recommend that route, though it is pricey.

teacher listened to him play and offered advice afterward. I am spitting mad and will NOT give them another penny of my business.

I think you are being unreasonable. The teacher makes a wage selling his time (and expertise). He used his time and expertise evaluating your son. It is perfectly reasonable to charge a fee for that, even if it might not universally be done. Professionals "comp" things all the time, but it is not very business-like and is one of the reasons why many professionals (particularly musicians) don't make as much money as they should, and usually less than their clients!

The teacher was ethical and professional recommending a "better" teacher for your son. If he were less ethical, he could have taken your son on as a student, and I am sure found *something* to teach him (technique books, etc.) and probably fooled you both for many months if not years. Wasting your son's time and your money.

You should be gracious and thank him for his evaluation, pay whatever fee he asked for, and move on. The teacher showed great character. That the teacher's school does not discourage him from turning away a paying client also reflects well on the school.

Good grief. Get a grip!

Certainly, in some situations, the teacher might have said "No, No, no charge for today." But, that should come after your demonstration of gratitude for his time and expertise and your *sincere* offer of payment. It may be a firm school policy that once a lesson is initiated, it must be billed. That makes some sense if you think of booking out the lesson space. There is limited lesson space & time in a school, and they filled a slot with the time for your son.

I think that making enemies of anyone in the music circles that your son might run in is a HUGE MISTAKE. If he's that good, he'll likely be applying for scholarships, entering competitions, etc. Music teachers all know each other, and making an enemy over a lesson fee is ridiculous and may well cost your son slots in schools, competitions, scholarships. . .

If I were you, I'd PROMPTLY send a thank-you note to the teacher (signed by both you and your son) along with the full lesson fee. And, I'd also make an abject apology to anyone you'd spoken with about the lesson fee (assuming you let on your feelings) for your "thoughtless response" to their lesson fee. . .

I think you are being unreasonable. The teacher makes a wage selling his time (and expertise). He used his time and expertise evaluating your son. It is perfectly reasonable to charge a fee for that, even if it might not universally be done. Professionals "comp" things all the time, but it is not very business-like and is one of the reasons why many professionals (particularly musicians) don't make as much money as they should, and usually less than their clients!

The teacher was ethical and professional recommending a "better" teacher for your son. If he were less ethical, he could have taken your son on as a student, and I am sure found *something* to teach him (technique books, etc.) and probably fooled you both for many months if not years. Wasting your son's time and your money.

You should be gracious and thank him for his evaluation, pay whatever fee he asked for, and move on. The teacher showed great character. That the teacher's school does not discourage him from turning away a paying client also reflects well on the school.

Good grief. Get a grip!

Certainly, in some situations, the teacher might have said "No, No, no charge for today." But, that should come after your demonstration of gratitude for his time and expertise and your *sincere* offer of payment. It may be a firm school policy that once a lesson is initiated, it must be billed. That makes some sense if you think of booking out the lesson space. There is limited lesson space & time in a school, and they filled a slot with the time for your son.

I think that making enemies of anyone in the music circles that your son might run in is a HUGE MISTAKE. If he's that good, he'll likely be applying for scholarships, entering competitions, etc. Music teachers all know each other, and making an enemy over a lesson fee is ridiculous and may well cost your son slots in schools, competitions, scholarships. . .

If I were you, I'd PROMPTLY send a thank-you note to the teacher (signed by both you and your son) along with the full lesson fee. And, I'd also make an abject apology to anyone you'd spoken with about the lesson fee (assuming you let on your feelings) for your "thoughtless response" to their lesson fee. . .

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

When I was looking for a piano teacher for my daughter, there were some teachers that would charge for the interview/evaluation sessions and some that wouldn't. It's great if they don't, but you have to realize that you are using their time and expertise and they are entitled to charge you for it if so they wish. I think it's always best to ask beforehand so you know and decide accordingly.

And congrats on having such talent in the family!

You should be gracious and thank him for his evaluation, pay whatever fee he asked for, and move on.

Good grief. Get a grip!

Go back and re-read my original thread. Who told you that I was less than gracious? Or that I did not thank the instructor for his time? Do you speak to people in your life by telling them to get a grip, or do you save that for forums where you can say what you wish without facing the person?

If you read my thread, you'll see that I ALREADY paid for the lesson. I don't need to send a payment with a thank you note and an abject apology for what you refer to as a thoughtless response. You don't know what I said, and to assume what was said is thoughtless on *your* part.

But thanks anyway...

To be honest, I'm not sure why you are spitting mad. You come across as angry and mean especially to the other poster. I would also send a thank you note. I don't think you have anything to be mean about it. You may not mean it that way, but that is the way it comes across...I mean even the term spitting mad. I'm glad he recommended another teacher. That was impressive. Most would probably love to have a student like yours.

Christine

You compensated the instructor for his time listening to your student. He gave advice you can follow. Sounds worth $25 to me.

Thank you. You are absolutely correct. He did give me advice and put me on a new path. In hindsight, the investment of $25 will be well worth it. :)

I'm sorry you're upset. There have been times in my life when $25 has been a lot to part with, and I can see how you might feel like you didn't get your money's worth. But think of this. If that teacher really does know what he's talking about, the $25 was well spent. You've learned that your child has real talent, and that his talent is worth the investment of time and money in a high-level teacher, that he might well make a career in music.

I would highly recommend interviewing new teachers. If you're working with a community music department at a college, they will tell you right up front what their policies are, whether you can have an evaluation free of cost. (Now that I think of it, often teachers working from a school or a college have to pay a portion of your fee for rent / operating costs, which is different from a teacher working from her home, who typically does not charge for an evaluation.) In our community music department, you are encouraged to sit in on another student's lesson, and that is a fine idea, so that you can see the teacher at work and get to know his or her style. The other bonus with working through a college, in most cases, is that your child will get to perform regularly on a concert grand in a fine performance space.

I hope this experience doesn't scare you away from pursuing lessons for your son. And good luck finding an instructor.

My husband has two, almost three, degrees in music and he's an organist-choirmaster for a church. If your son has any interest in sacred music, even as a pianist, there is a demand for highly skilled pastoral musicians. Solely as a pianist, he might have a tough time finding a professional (income earning and supporting a family on it) niche.

That's awesome that he loves playing so young and that he's good at it! Definitely find him a challenging instructor and encourage him to "diversify" by learning other instruments or getting involved in a choir or other ensemble.

I'm sorry you're upset. There have been times in my life when $25 has been a lot to part with, and I can see how you might feel like you didn't get your money's worth. But think of this. If that teacher really does know what he's talking about, the $25 was well spent. You've learned that your child has real talent, and that his talent is worth the investment of time and money in a high-level teacher, that he might well make a career in music.

I hope this experience doesn't scare you away from pursuing lessons for your son. And good luck finding an instructor.

As I have thought more about it, I did feel sad that I did not get my money's worth. The teacher sat sipping coffee as my son played, and after the first song, he asked, "What do *you* want lessons for?" It was flattering, of course, but he didn't ask any questions of my son. If he had, he would have quickly learned that he has a great weakness with his music---it is very, very obvious.

But as you stated, in the long run, the $25 will prove to be a fine investment if this gentleman really does know what he's talking about and as a result, we are able to pursue this as an option for my son.

Thank you for your encouragement and well wishes as we actively pursue options for music lessons.

Kindly,

:)

As I have thought more about it, I did feel sad that I did not get my money's worth. The teacher sat sipping coffee as my son played, and after the first song, he asked, "What do *you* want lessons for?" It was flattering, of course, but he didn't ask any questions of my son. If he had, he would have quickly learned that he has a great weakness with his music---it is very, very obvious.

But as you stated, in the long run, the $25 will prove to be a fine investment if this gentleman really does know what he's talking about and as a result, we are able to pursue this as an option for my son.

Thank you for your encouragement and well wishes as we actively pursue options for music lessons.

Kindly,

:)

Oh, good! I'm glad you're feeling better, and that you're actively pursuing lessons!

My son just returned home from an audition at a conservatory at a small liberal arts college. The previous poster, VA6336, mentioned that pastoral musicians are in demand, and I would second that. My son is interested in choral music and conducting. There are many different paths for music majors -- typically a student studying music will pick Music Education, Music Performance or Business of Music, depending on the options available at a college. Some schools have a Music Therapy degree. St. Olaf has a church-related degree, but I'm blanking on the name of that one right now.

Really, you are so fortunate that you know your child has a passion and is seeking direction. I know many music teachers who constantly despair over the fact that their students don't practice or don't care. Again, good luck!