Menu

Singapore-sequence of material

haysmommy

When using Singapore should I follow the sequence of order in the book? We are in 1B and the next chapter is introducing multiplication. My dd understands the concept of addition and subtraction and does well as long as she uses her number line or a manipulative. She does not have the tables memorized. Is this necessary? Should we skip on to telling time and money while working on the memory work and then come back to the multiplication/division?

I don't have 1B in front of me right now, but I think you could just go through the unit emphasizing adding equal groups by skip counting, then move on. It's introductory in first grade, in my opinion. My 2nd grader is just finally comfortable with her tables and she is almost done with 2B. HTH.

In general, I think it's important to follow the sequence in the Singapore books, though I'm not sure about this specific case. Even though skills seem unrelated, I find that frequently they actually do lay the groundwork for the skills ahead or are continuing to practice the previously learned skills (usually a combination of both).

It's best to follow the sequence. The multiplication work in 1b is very basic and it is not necessary for her to have tables memorized at this time but it is a good time to introduce skip counting to her and start working on facts. She really doesn't need to have these down until 2b/3a. 2b is 1, 2, 5, 10 and I think 3 & 4s. 3a is the harder tables and is also where division with remainders is introduced.

:001_smile:

All the products never go past 40. They solve by repeated adding. They are supposed to know how to add a 1 digit number to a 2-digit number mentally by now, though, so repeated adding should not be such a chore, and they should be practicing the mental math addition. No still using manipulatives and number lines.

When using Singapore should I follow the sequence of order in the book? We are in 1B and the next chapter is introducing multiplication. My dd understands the concept of addition and subtraction and does well as long as she uses her number line or a manipulative. She does not have the tables memorized. Is this necessary? Should we skip on to telling time and money while working on the memory work and then come back to the multiplication/division?

Singapore Math does math in a very different order than American math programs. I sometimes set the Singapore math books aside to do more drill and memory work when I think its needed. You can also do flashcards of previously covered math facts while moving onto the next concept. Singapore introduces multiplication early, but they don't introduce all the multiplication facts at one time. It continues bit by bit through third grade. The earlier multiplication facts build on the concepts of addition, and the money builds on and reinforces similar math facts, (while teaching new applications through time and money.)

I would not change the sequence of Singapore -- each topic builds upon skills previously learned. Are you using the HIG? If you feel you need to, add in more mental math drills from the HIG before or as you move forward. The multiplication introduced in 1B is just that -- an introduction to the concept of repeated addition. Mastery of multiplication tables will not be required until 2A.

We just finished that unit in 1B too. :001_smile:

We're currently taking a break and using Miquon and Math Mammoth until dd has her addition/subtraction facts down cold. She can add mentally by making tens but she does have to think a bit. I'd like to do all of the material I have available on these skills to really cement them and have them be automatic before we move on. The HIG tells you when certain facts need to be memorized and I think its a good idea to follow those suggestions.

We just started the multiplication chapter into which you're heading. Before we started, however, I had us stop for a couple of weeks, and all we did was practice addition and subtraction facts. We did this through drill, flashcards, dice games, and the Cool-math.com website. I didn't feel the +/- facts were cemented enough with ds, and I wasn't comfortable introducing mulitiplication (albeit very introductory) without him having a faster response time to +/-. Just those 2 weeks helped him tremendously. He had not used manipulatives or a number line since last year though.

Don't skip around in Singapore. .. but you can always stop for a spell and catch up on drill. I had to do that a couple times my first time through with my oldest child. By child #3, I have learned to anticipate what facts need learning and make sure the child has them down before they are needed.

FYI, 3A covers the last of the times tables (6, 7, 8 & 9s).

Always spend 5 minutes a day in math drill from 1A to 3A. Start drilling sets of facts 3-4 weeks before they'll be needed. So, if you see that the 6x tables will be taught in a few weeks, start drilling them. . . etc etc.

If your child is "behind" in the facts, then simply do sth else for math for a few weeks (Miquon is my fave, lol, but there are plenty of other choices. If your child needs more drill than 5 min, then make it 10 min a day instead. . .