Menu

Had my first guitar co-op class today! :)

:party: :hurray: It was 2 hours long!! :eek: lol I had 6 students of all ages and it went really well. I knew I had to get those kids to the point where they could play since they are only coming once a week and they weren't going to be content to get those nice brand new guitars and not know how to play them for another week so I taught them how to tune the guitar, what all of the parts of the guitar are called, how to take care of it, what the open strings were called, the values of whole notes, half notes and quarter notes and what they looked like, whole, half and quarter rests, the lines of the staff, 4/4 time, the spaces of the staff and how to read the E note on the staff! phew! Now that I type it all out I'm amazed that we got all of that accomplished in only 2 hours! The kids had a good time and really enjoyed playing their guitars. I was a bit worried about the young one that has ADHD because I had all 6 students asking me all at the same time, "Ms. Jennifer is this right? Ms. Jennifer..." but he managed to pay attention enough to learn and when I wrote a line of music on the staff for him to play he nailed it! :) I knew that this first class would be the hardest and longest one because we had to cover so much to get them to where they could play, but it went really well and I know that the next ones will be much easier as we take it step by step. :) I'm so happy for the kids and I'm just so pleased that I finally got this thing up and running. I've been trying since last September to get this class going so I was really happy that we were finally able to start today. Anyway, I just wanted to share my joy with ya'll. :) Thanks for reading. :)

Jen

Sounds like a super time was had by all. My youngest just had her 3rd guitar lesson, how do we get over the sore fingers, hehe. Wish we had a co-op, she thought she would be able to make friends but its one on one much to her disappointment.

Oh that's too bad that she doesn't have other kids around, but the upside is that the one on one lessons will allow her to go at her own pace so that is good too. :) A co-op was the only way I could do it for the kids that were wanting me to teach them guitar. I had too many kids that wanted to learn and there was just now way I could give that many private lessons during the week and homeschool and take care of my special needs son and do all of the rest of the stuff I have to do. I have 6 kids in my class and that is all I could fit in my living room to where they weren't banging into each other with their guitars. There are 7 other people who wanted to take my class too, but couldn't make that time slot. I don't know what I'm going to do with that one. I guess I'll just wait a while and see how it goes with this one class and see about adding another. I am so thrilled though to see so many people wanting to learn music. I think that is just so awesome. :) I hope that your daughter enjoys her classes. Once her calluses build up in a few weeks her fingers will hurt less. :) I wish her well in her classes. :)

Blessings. :)

My 11yo just started guitar lessons recently. She's had two whole lessons so far. She was very excited that she actually came home from the first lesson knowing how to tune her guitar and had a song to play (all on the E string). She was disappointed not to have class this week because the teacher was out of town, but the next two lessons are going to be 1.5 hours to make up for that missed class. It's a group lesson, but there are only 3 kids in the class.

The thing she is most worried about is stretching her hand enough to be able to play on all the strings. She had two exercises to do for practice over the two weeks between the 2nd and 3rd lessons. One was walking up the E string. The other was playing frets 1-4 on each of the strings. Walking across the strings is the hard part for her. She has a classical acoustic guitar.

She's already trying to write her own music and making up her own songs.

Ibbygirl,

You ROCK!

That sounds so wonderful. Way to go!

(And Jennifer is one of my favorite names, BTW. I never knew it was your name!)

My youngest wants to play eletric guitar. Is there anything wrong with starting on eletric and not acoustic?

:) Thanks. Nope nothing wrong with starting on the electric. The only drawback possibly would be the inital investment in gear, but you can get some decent practice amps that don't cost a fortune and you can get decent used guitar off ebay for 100 bucks. Yamaha Pacificas are good and usually right around 100 bucks and of course my favorites Ibanez. You can find the Gios pretty cheap off Ebay. They are Ibanez's entry level electrics and the older Roadstars are awesome guitars and sometimes you can find them at a decent price although people have started collecting them now and are making the prices go higher. If you want a decent electric for beginners though you can't really go wrong with the Pacifica or the Gio. :) The Orange micro amp is pretty cheap and the Roland Cubes are pretty cheap as well, with a cable and a decent guitar you can probably go electric for about 200 bucks. For my class, I did acoustics because it is the least expensive (and most portable) way to go and since most my students are all young and we don't even know if they will like guitar yet it made the most sense to start there before investing a bunch of money on gear. I love electrics. That's what I mostly play too. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

My 11yo just started guitar lessons recently. She's had two whole lessons so far. She was very excited that she actually came home from the first lesson knowing how to tune her guitar and had a song to play (all on the E string). She was disappointed not to have class this week because the teacher was out of town, but the next two lessons are going to be 1.5 hours to make up for that missed class. It's a group lesson, but there are only 3 kids in the class.

The thing she is most worried about is stretching her hand enough to be able to play on all the strings. She had two exercises to do for practice over the two weeks between the 2nd and 3rd lessons. One was walking up the E string. The other was playing frets 1-4 on each of the strings. Walking across the strings is the hard part for her. She has a classical acoustic guitar.

She's already trying to write her own music and making up her own songs.

That's fantastic. I am doing the same thing, starting them out on the E string and playing little diddys. :) I'm so impressed that she is writing her own songs. Sounds like you have a musician on your hands. That's so awesome! :hurray: :)

That sounds awesome, I wish you lived near us! I was going to sign DD up for guitar lessons at the university community arts school, but they changed the age cutoff at the eleventh hour to 7 instead of 6. DD was VERY disappointed, especially since she spent her Christmas money on a guitar. Hopefully I'll be able to get her in next fall.

That sounds awesome, I wish you lived near us! I was going to sign DD up for guitar lessons at the university community arts school, but they changed the age cutoff at the eleventh hour to 7 instead of 6. DD was VERY disappointed, especially since she spent her Christmas money on a guitar. Hopefully I'll be able to get her in next fall.

Oh now that stinks!! I'm so sorry to hear that. Can she get private lessons maybe?? Usually music stores will have a wall where people will advertise lessons or sometimes the stores themselves will have employees who give lessons. Maybe a homeschool co-op. Ah, poor kid. That is disappointing. I hope that she can find some lessons.

Congrats to you for keeping 6 kids focused at a group guitar lesson. My dh & I used to own a guitar shop and give lessons in the evenings. I just did one student at a time, but for a while he was doing groups because we had so many people waiting for lessons. It's a lot of work, but fun when they get it.

Oh, and check out my Ibanez in my avatar!

Congrats to you for keeping 6 kids focused at a group guitar lesson. My dh & I used to own a guitar shop and give lessons in the evenings. I just did one student at a time, but for a while he was doing groups because we had so many people waiting for lessons. It's a lot of work, but fun when they get it.

Thank you so much for your kind words. :) I was so happy at how well the children did! I'm just so proud of them!! I just went step by step and they got it so quickly!! I wish I was that good at remembering things as they were! :)

Oh, and check out my Ibanez in my avatar!

Coolness!! Is that a RG with a custom swirl or a Radius maybe?? That's really nice. It looks almost like a Jem PMC without the monkey grip and the purple pickups. That's a nice guitar! :) Here are some of my Ibby babies. :)

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n106/FloridaNat1ve/My%20Guitars/IMG_1283.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n106/FloridaNat1ve/My%20Guitars/IMG_1267.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n106/FloridaNat1ve/My%20Guitars/RB850-2.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n106/FloridaNat1ve/My%20Guitars/RB-850-3.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n106/FloridaNat1ve/My%20Guitars/Jen191.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n106/FloridaNat1ve/My%20Guitars/1976Concord669-3.jpg

Edited by Ibbygirl

It's a 540P (Joe Satriani used one before he got his own model)with a custom swirl from the guy who swirled the Ibanez Jems. I won the paint job in a raffle.

The orange/red guitar...RG550? I had one...with neon green pickups and knobs. Very cool guitar.

The second one...Roadstar? I sold a nice old Roadstar in December.

It's a 540P (Joe Satriani used one before he got his own model)with a custom swirl from the guy who swirled the Ibanez Jems. I won the paint job in a raffle.

Oh yes the Powers. That's so cool that you won the custom swirl. Joe posed with a white on in one of the Ibanez catalogs. :) man, I love Satch. He's one of my favorite all time players.

The orange/red guitar...RG550? I had one...with neon green pickups and knobs. Very cool guitar.

Yep, it's the 20th anniversary RG550 in Road Flare Red. That one and the Desert Yellow were there two neon colors. :) Very cool guitars indeed.

The second one...Roadstar? I sold a nice old Roadstar in December.

Yep, my pink one is a 1986 Roadstar RG420 in Cherry Ice. Love it! It was the first year they introduced the Edge floating trem. My RB850 bass is also a Roadstar but a 1984. The blue one is my 1982 Blazer BL550. That one is awesome too. It has a solid brass bridge with awesome sustain. That one is in pieces right now though getting a thorough cleaning. The acoustic with the sweet bookmatched back is my 1976 Ibanez Concord. That thing is awesome too. I love my Ibbys! I wish I could get a Radius in the blue burst and an old Artist or an old Concert. Sigh. I need more money. ;) What year was the Roadstar you sold, do you remember?

I can't remember...I'm thinking '84 or so. It was pretty cool.

4382136419_0801fe977c_o.jpg

The back & sides were black and there was a red stripe running around the edge.

Sweet! That's a 1985 RS530 in Marine Sunburst. That was the last year they had the Pro Rocker bridge before they introduced the (Licensed Floyd Rose) Edge the following year. I love that finish. The Steve Lukather model is in that same finish. Always loved that guitar. http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1985/p10.jpg

If you ever come across an Artist (1978-1983), a Concert or a Radius with the blue burst finish let me know. :)

Will do. I see you're familiar with IbanezRules. How about Jemsite? I'll be sending you a PM...then we won't bore everyone with our geeky guitar talk. LOL

LOL I know. I'm awful. You should hear me talk about cars! hehehe Ay, I should have been born a guy! ;) :D