Menu

memorization recs

Ohio12

we loosely follow WTM. I also like CM. Does anyone have a couple good recs for something to memorize for dd age 7. I have been too lax with that this year. Last year we did the 23rd Psalm, The Lord's Prayer and a couple short poems in addition to the books of the Bible, and the months of the year. We are doing SOTW II, The Middle Ages. Bonus points if it could coincide with that.

I wish the SOTW activity guide had a section in each chapter for grammar level memory work suggestions.

I would be curious to also know about any other suggestions from the hive.

The memory work/timeline cards at Hannah_hs_helps are wonderful. I just don't think my dd would go for memorizing them (see sample below).

SOTW vol. 2, Chpt. 2

• After the Roman Empire fell, the

Celts drove the Romans out of

their land.

• One king, Vortigern, asked

barbarian tribes called the Angles

and Saxons from across the North

Sea to come and help them fight

the other Celtic tribes.

• The Romans called the people

who lived outside of their Empires

barbarians.

• The barbarians liked the island so

much that more of them came

and drove away the Celts.

• The part of Britain where the

Anglo-Saxons lived is called

England. The parts where the

Celts lived are Scotland, Ireland

and Wales.

I am looking more for poems and Bible verses, not just facts. I forgot we also did memorize the Veritas Press timeline flashcards. That is all we need for that kind of thing.

I found this poem I thought might be good for this time of year.

http://www.apples4theteacher.com/holidays/spring/kids-poems-rhymes/the-bluebirds-song.html

and I memorized this sonnet in HS...I might give it a try too.

http://oldpoetry.com/opoem/7126-William-Shakespeare-Sonnet-116---Let-me-not-to-the-marriage-of-true-minds----

any more?

Drew, who used to post here, wrote a book of memory work to be used all the way from K through school. Here's a pretty good review of it:

http://thecurriculumchoice.com/2009/06/living-memory-a-classical-memory-work-companion-by-andrew-campbell/

It's available for sale on Lulu.com.

Drew has also written books for Memoria Press, I believe. I think they were sort of dragging their heels on getting this one published, so he went ahead and put it out, himself.

I use some of his suggestions and like them.

There are numerous good things to use in the books Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate Language Lessons, both by Emma Serl. And there are numerous selections in the various levels of First Language Lessons, as well. I don't know if you use any of those or have thought about using them....

A lot of the poems that FLL uses are written by, or adapted from Christina Rossetti, if I recall correctly. There are a lot of her poems in the book The Classic Treasury of Children's Poems, edited by Louise Betts Egan. When my son was about 7/8, he memorized a lot of poetry from this book, which also has nice illustrations:

http://isbn.nu/9780762401864

Also from Lulu.com, Julie Shields, who used to post here (don't know if she still does), has out copywork books to go along with all the WTM time periods. She has these available in hard copy or downloads. And they are available in different types of script, too. Each day there are short selections from history or literature, many of which would also make good memory work. Here's a link to her medieval book:

http://www.lulu.com/browse/search.php?search_forum=-1&search_cat=2&show_results=topics&return_chars=20&search_keywords=&keys=&header_search=true&search=&locale=&sitesearch=lulu.com&q=&fSearch=medieval+history+copybook&fSearchFamily=0&fSubmitSearch.x=11&fSubmitSearch.y=9

The memory work/timeline cards at Hannah_hs_helps are wonderful. I just don't think my dd would go for memorizing them (see sample below).

Thanks for the compliment :blush:. We haven't used the facts on the back of each card either :001_smile:. What we have done, is put the cards in their chronological order and I had dd memorize the history sentences I have in the file.

I also have a free Grammar Stage Memorization file available at Lulu.com that I put together a few years ago. We've done a lot from the file and have followed rabbit trails as they have come along as well.

I'll second Dawn's recommendation for Pudewa's poetry book. It's a little overpriced, but it begins with a great discussion of the how and why of poetry memorization, and then includes several *years* worth of poetry memorization all laid out for you in order of increasing difficulty. Really an excellent resource.

I think Drew's book "Living Memory" is a wonderful resource as well -- it covers a lot more than "just" poetry, though plenty of that as well -- but it's also a little more overwhelming than Pudewa's poetry resource.

Since you're doing Middle Ages this year, I'd also start your dd memorizing the kings and queens of England beginning with William the Conqueror. There are several poems for this... I learned "Willie, Willie, Harry, Ste" as a child, but someone here posted a "Kings and Queens of England Rap" (I don't know where it came from originally) that is nice because it includes a tiny tidbit of information with each name and is helpful for remembering which Harry was which, etc. If you prefer a song, one of the Beethoven's Wig albums (the first?) has a decent one as well.

You might also want to do St. Francis' Sermon to the Birds, since it's a delightful little piece and fits with your time period:

"My little sisters the birds, ye owe much to God, your Creator, and ye ought to sing his praise at all times and in all places, because he has given you liberty to fly about into all places; and though ye neither spin nor sew, he has given you a twofold and a threefold clothing for yourselves and for your offspring. Two of all your species he sent into the Ark with Noe that you might not be lost to the world; besides which, he feeds you, though ye neither sow nor reap. He has given you fountains and rivers to quench your thirst, mountains and valleys in which to take refuge, and trees in which to build your nests; so that your Creator loves you much, having thus favoured you with such bounties. Beware, my little sisters, of the sin of ingratitude, and study always to give praise to God."

Someone here once posted the list from Three Years With the Poets: a Text Book of Poetry to be Memorized During the First Year's in School, compiled by Bertha Hazard and published in 1905 by Houghton Mifflin. Most of these poems can be found online. First, you'll see a "required" list of poems, one to be learned per month through three successive school years. Below that, you'll see a list of supplemental poems.

Required Poems

September

Year 1. Autumn Fires by Robert Louis Stevenson

Year 2. September by Helen Hunt Jackson

Year 3. The Arrow and The Song by HW Longfellow

October

Y1. The Wind by Christina Rossetti

Y2. Jack Frost by Celia Thaxter

Y3. October's Blue Weather by Helen Hunt Jackson

November

Y1. Praying and Loving by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Y2. Snowflakes by HW Longfellow

Y3. The Sandpiper by Celia Thaxter

December

Y1. The First Christmas by Emilie Poulsson

Y2. As Joseph Was A-Walking (Unknown)

Y3. While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night by Nahum Tate

January

Y1. Winter-Time by Robert Louis Stevenson

Y2. Winter by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Y3. Abou Ben Adhem by Leigh Hunt

February

Y1. The Snow-Bird by Frank Dempster Sherman

Y2. A Fable by RW Emerson

Y3. Winter Rain by Christina Rossetti

March

Y1. The Wind by R.L. Stevenson

Y2. March by Celia Thaxter

Y3. March by William Cullen Bryant

April

Y1. Verses from The Song of Solomon (Bible)

Y2. Spring by Celia Thaxter

Y3. Wild Geese by Celia Thaxter

May

Y1. Pippa's Song by Robert Browning

Y2. Song of the Fairy by William Shakespeare

Y3. The Cloud by Percy Shelley

June

Y1. Ariel's Song by William Shakespeare

Y2. A Morning Song by William Shakespeare

Y3. Rain in Summer by HW Longfellow

Elective Poems

September

Thank You, Pretty Cow by Jane Taylor (1)

An Autumn Riddle (Unknown) (1)

Lullaby by Christina Rossetti (1)

Lady-Bird by Caroline Southey (2)

The Babie by Hugh Miller (2)

The Tree by Bjornstjerne Bjornson (2)

Don't Give Up by Phoebe Cary (3)

Flower in the Crannied Wall by Alfred, Lord Tennyson (3)

Friends by L.G. Warner (3)

October

Lady Moon by Lord Houghton (1)

Milking Time by Christina Rossetti (1)

To Mother Fairie by Alice Cary (1)

The City Mouse and the Country Mouse by Christina Rossetti (2)

Cradle Song by Richard Watson Gilder (2)

The Challenge of Thor by Longfellow (2)

Indian Summer by John Greenleaf Whitter (3)

Robin Redbreast by William Allingham (3)

The Village Blacksmith (3)

November

Good Night by Victor Hugo (1)

An Old Gaelic Cradle Song (Unknown) (1)

Little Things (Unknown) (1)

The Fir Tree by Edith M. Thomas (2)

The Winter Robin by Thomas Bailey Aldrich (2)

Thanksgiving Day by Lydia Maria Child (2)

No! by Thomas Hood (3)

November by Alice Cary (3)

The 23rd Psalm (3)

December

An Old Christmas Carol (Unknown) (1)

An Old English Carol (Unknown) (1)

"While Stars of Christmas Shine" By Emilie Poulsson (1)

Verse from St. Luke (2)

A Christmas Carol by Dinah Maria Mulock (2)

Christmas Time by Charles Dickens (2)

Christmas Carol by Robert Herrick (3)

Hilda's Christmas by M.A.L. Lane (3)

New Year's Eve by Alfred, Lord Tennyson (3)

January

The Months by Richard B. Sheridan (1)

A Hint by Anna M. Pratt (1)

A Chill by Christina Rossetti (1)

A Norse Lullaby by Eugene Field (2)

A Farewell by Charles Kingsley (2)

The Lighthouse by Sir Walter Scott (2)

The Four Winds

Wabun, the East Wind

Kabibonokka, the North Wind

Shawondasee, the South-Wind (all Longfellow) (3)

February

America by Samuel F. Smith (1)

Winter by Philip H. Savage (1)

King and Queen (Unknown) (1)

The Snowdrop by Tennyson (2)

To A Child by William Wordsworth (2)

God Bless Our Native Land by C.T. Brooks and J.S. Dwight (2)

Stanzas on Freedom by James Russell Lowell (3)

Civic Creed by Mary McDowell (3)

My Native Land by Sir Walter Scott (3)

March

Cradle Song (Unknown) (1)

The Caterpillar (Unknown) (1)

Sweet and Low by Tennyson (1)

Lines Written in March by William Wordsworth (2)

March by Lucy Larcom (2)

The Four Winds by Frank Dempster Sherman (2)

Greek Children's Song (Unknown) (3)

Spring Has Come by Oliver Wendell Holmes (3)

Daybreak by HW Longfellow (3)

April

April by Mrs. J.B.Gustafson (1)

The Runaway Brook by Eliza Lee Follen (1)

Little May by Emily Huntington Miller (1)

Answer to a Child's Question by Samuel T. Coleridge (2)

The Bluebird by Emily Huntington Miller (2)

Hie Away, Hie Away by Sir Walter Scott (2)

April and May by RW Emerson (3)

The Concord Hymn by RW Emerson (3)

The Children's Hour by HW Longfellow (3)

May

The City Child by Tennyson (1)

Bed in Summer by RL Stevenson (1)

Up in the Morning Early (Uknown) (1)

Lullaby for Titania by Shakespeare (2)

The Fairies by William Allingham (2)

Song of the Fairies (Unknown) (2)

The Greenwood Tree by Shakespeare (3)

The Brook by Alfred, Lord Tennyson (3)

Pebbles by Frank Dempster Sherman (3)

June

Summer by Christina Rossetti (1)

The Sun's Travels by RL Stevenson (1)

The Shepherd by William Blake (1)

A Boy's Song by James Hogg (2)

Seven Times One by Jean Ingelow (2)

Wishing by William Allingham (2)

Before the Rain by Thomas Bailey Aldrich (3)

The Rainbow - A Riddle by Friedrich Schiller (3)

Bugle Song by Tennyson (3)

Also, just have some wonderful anthologies around, so you and your dd can just *read* poems from time to time. Some you just read and move on, but if you happen to find one you like, stop and memorize it. :) Sometimes because it's so silly and makes you giggle, sometimes because it's so deep or so beautiful or strikes you for whatever reason at all. :)

Oh, and I have to add

Poems to Read to the Very Young by Josette Frank

as one of my very favorite anthologies for preschool and early elementary children. I just find it delightful. :) It's out of print now, but you can get used copies for next to nothing. Despite the name, it's not for 2yos... Just a lovely volume to enjoy with kids still small enough to snuggle up with on the couch. :)

Someone here once posted the list from Three Years With the Poets: a Text Book of Poetry to be Memorized During the First Year's in School, compiled by Bertha Hazard and published in 1905 by Houghton Mifflin. Most of these poems can be found online. First, you'll see a "required" list of poems, one to be learned per month through three successive school years. Below that, you'll see a list of supplemental poems.

This is great! I've been looking for a list of monthly poems exactly like this. Thanks, Abbey!

Angela in Ohio has a nice list of Bible memory ideas and there's a link on her sidebar to poems as well:

http://www.wallsofbooks.com/2007/03/bible-memory-list.html

Our memory work this year consists of poetry, Bible, states and capitals, our VP cards for this year (Greece and Rome), Latin prayers, vocab, endings and model nouns/verbs, and hymns.

I'll second Dawn's recommendation for Pudewa's poetry book. It's a little overpriced, but it begins with a great discussion of the how and why of poetry memorization, and then includes several *years* worth of poetry memorization all laid out for you in order of increasing difficulty. Really an excellent resource.

I think Drew's book "Living Memory" is a wonderful resource as well -- it covers a lot more than "just" poetry, though plenty of that as well -- but it's also a little more overwhelming than Pudewa's poetry resource.

Since you're doing Middle Ages this year, I'd also start your dd memorizing the kings and queens of England beginning with William the Conqueror. There are several poems for this... I learned "Willie, Willie, Harry, Ste" as a child, but someone here posted a "Kings and Queens of England Rap" (I don't know where it came from originally) that is nice because it includes a tiny tidbit of information with each name and is helpful for remembering which Harry was which, etc. If you prefer a song, one of the Beethoven's Wig albums (the first?) has a decent one as well.

You might also want to do St. Francis' Sermon to the Birds, since it's a delightful little piece and fits with your time period:

Also, just have some wonderful anthologies around, so you and your dd can just *read* poems from time to time. Some you just read and move on, but if you happen to find one you like, stop and memorize it. :) Sometimes because it's so silly and makes you giggle, sometimes because it's so deep or so beautiful or strikes you for whatever reason at all. :)

Great list, thanks for posting this!!