Menu

can Foerster's Algebra be used as a self teaching text for 8th grade?

mombygrace

I am looking for a program that is self teaching so my son can successfully use it. He is strong hard worker but not a genius. He has completed singapore 1-6, russian math and discovering math 1a. His retention is down and he appears to be struggling with disc. math.

I am open to other ideas too. I need something rigourous because he wants to prepare for a medical/ research career and I don't want to fail him.

Thanks.

Check out these great ideas of how to use Chalkdust in a much less expensive way....continued KUDOS to Pongo for the help! You can search and find the entire thread...I can't seem to find where I put it!

Student Solution Manual (4th Edition)Aufmann~Barker~Lockwood

ISBN 0-618-37265-2

PREALGEBRA TEXT(4th Edition)Aufmann~Barker~Lockwood

ISBN 0-618-37262-8

DVD/DVT with Dana Mosley(4th Edition)

ISBN 978-0618372706

Teachers Edition

PREALGEBRA (4th edition edition) (2005)

ISBN-13: 978-0618372638

I have some news on the Algebra 1 stuff.

Okay, so far I only received the text book, it is the custom published book put out by Chalkdust (CD) here is the ISBN-13: 978-0618107742 for the custom publishing by CD (exactly like the picture on the website), your other option is to buy the text directly from CD and the DVD's elsewhere, they are running for under $40 with shipping.

If you are looking for a cheaper textbook than the custom publishing you can try this ISBN 9780618753536, this should line up with the DVD's perfectly, it just won't say CD but the savings are substantial. I see these going for under $10 easily.

I am waiting for the solutions guide and videos to come so I can verify they are the correct Alg. 1 solution book and DVD.This is the solution guide I purchased, ISBN-13: 978-0618107773 this is for the custom published one by CD. If you decided to go with the other one it's ISBN: 9780618388196.

The videos I got are ISBN-13: 9780618388233, just make sure you get 6 DVD's, I am pretty sure they would work for both, I'll let you know when mine arrive.

I am looking for a program that is self teaching so my son can successfully use it. He is strong hard worker but not a genius. He has completed singapore 1-6, russian math and discovering math 1a. His retention is down and he appears to be struggling with disc. math.

I am open to other ideas too. I need something rigourous because he wants to prepare for a medical/ research career and I don't want to fail him.

Thanks.

It's not designed to be used self-teaching. You could use Math without Borders with it (my dd and I are using this,) or you could use something like Chalkdust or an online class.

Kinetics Algebra is designed to be relatively self teaching. You can order just the digital book or the digital and print. If you call and mention you are homeschooling you can also purchase the teacher materials. My Sadlier-Oxford Homeschool package was backordered to an undetermined date and I need something now so I just ordered from them today over the phone. They have some good reviews on the High School Board. Since I have other children coming up yet I purchased the CD materials and the print book so that I can use them with future children. In the end I think I will actually have saved money even if only one of the coming four use it because it won't time out like the S-O would.

I say "we're" because ds and I go over the lessons together and work many of the problems together.

I would say for a diligent, hardworking student - yes, it is self-teaching. You'll/he'll also need the solutions manual, and the DVD from Math Without Boarders is also a good idea.

I think the lessons are pretty clear. We're half way through the text and only twice have I need to look to another source for an explanation. With his background in Singapore, he'll probably feel comfortable with the text.

HTH, Stacy

Thank you all so much. I would look at chalk dust and Foersters with the CD. Kinetic Algebra is new to me too.

He would not be too happy to change as he just wants to plod along with what he has now. I'll try to find something close to Singapore style. I wish Singapore had a DVD to go with it.

I know that many states have adopted Kinetics so I can't imagine how it wouldn't prepare him well. You can download the first chapter to review. Today they told me that it covers a larger amount of material because it drops back into prealgebra and overlaps a little with the Algebra II because of the variance in 'standard' public school curriculum. They said they can do this because they are using a digital format versus a book that students need to carry around, which becomes a problem with traditional publishers. It goes from simple real numbers and writing algebraic equations through quadratic equations. You can also purchase the online homework grading if you so choose. I would search the High School board, that is where I have heard more about it. We are using the EPGY Open Enrollment Program, that is definately considered independent, for Intro to Algebra. (We always run two programs.)

Edited by melmichigan

DS (8th grade) is doing Foerster's independently so far. He's only at Chapter 6 though. We have the Mathwithoutborders DVD which he has used a few times. He says they are helpful. However, a couple of times I've had to clarify some concepts. He slows down at the word problems and does all of them. I use the end of chapter tests as review and if he has any trouble with a concept we go back to that section and work the evens. That is a good prep for tests....we have the test book. The solutions manual is helpful for the word problems. DS did Chalkdust's Prealgebra last year.