Menu

starting school in the middle of the year for a kid who is a little behind

I have noticed that some of you start your school year in January rather than the traditional September start. I have a dd who has an Aug. 24th birthday and who started 1st grade this past fall. Having completed my midyear evaluations, I am wondering if it was a mistake to start her so early. My ds is in 4th grade and between right on schedule to a little advanced for his age in spite of having a summer birthday, so I think I just didn't give enough thought to my options for dd. Really, dd is able to do most of the work, but it is quite challenging for her and her attention span is lacking. We often dissolve into temper fits during school time. I think that if we had just started 1st grade now and given her the extra semester to develop, we would be about on schedule. So my question is, what would be the implications of kind of "starting over" and giving her a year to complete the rest of the first grade work rather than just another semester? Is this too confusing with my ds advancing in the Fall and dd in the winter? What about later when she needs to be tested or if she goes to a more traditional school, is applying for college, etc....? I was brainstorming some options with her, and she really doesn't want to be classified as "1st grade" next fall. What if we just kept advancing her "socially" (at co-op, Sunday school, etc...) but kept all her academic records a year behind? Will I have to classify her as being held back a year, or is it acceptable to start 1st grade at age 7? Thanks for sharing any thoughts or experience. I would especially be interested to hear from those with older kids, about the possible long term implact of various options.

Thanks, Elaine

Some of the people who start their year in January (or other months) live in different countries than the US and that is when their traditional school year starts.

But - I started my dd a bit too early at least in some subjects. So I've given her more time in those subjects where she needs it and have moved on in those subjects where she is zipping along. Right now when people ask what grade she's in, we just answer that she is in a 2nd/3rd split. Most people don't ask further and we don't tell them that she is in a split all by herself! A few people know that we homeschool and will look startled for a moment but once they think about it they realize that she's doing work at two different grade levels. It hasn't caused any trouble in outside activities. I have no idea if she'll catch up sometime in the future and will be all in the upper grade but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case. If not, it will all even out in the end anyway.

I just now noticed that you asked about academic records. I don't know where you live, but here in Washington, you don't have to register until age 8. This year I did put down grade 3 originally, but next year I plan to put grade 3 down again. I sincerely doubt they will even notice.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

Guest Montana373

Hello!

I wouldn't fret about not being in the same grade or "up to level". I have a dd that should be in 3rd but she is in 5th grade math and 3rd grade for her other subjects. She is a November baby and had an edge to those in her grade that were born later in the year.

My ds on the other had was born in late spring and was entered into school on time, but he struggled. He is in 3rd Science, Health, and History...poking along in his 2nd Grade Math, but is struggling with his 1st grade reading. He should be in 2nd grade this year, but he and I decided that we would call it grade 1 1/2. We didn't want to hold him back b/c I have read that boys' reading skills sometimes develop later than girls and I didn't want to go back and forth between grades.

As for group activities, if it is more hands on, I put him in 2nd grade, if it is more reading, I put him in 1st. He loves that he isn't in 1st grade but isn't stressed out because he doesn't have a '2' on all his books. He even has told me that it is ok that he is just in grade 2 next year. I think that the extra review and concrete foundation will provide him with a better future, rather than pushing him and watch him struggle to grasp certain concepts.

I hope that helps. This is my first time posting but I felt like it was time. Also, I don't know about registering your child for state requirements. I have lucked out living in the great state of Montana. Our requirements are almost non-existent.

Have a blessed evening!

Kendra

It is ok to start a 7 year old in 1st grade. She will also end 1st grade as a 7 year old like most other 1st graders! ;)

Many children have Oct./Nov. Birthdays that will turn 7 very quickly after starting 1st in September. (Here the cutoff is Oct. 15).

I have no advice on whether it is the right thing to do or not but I just wanted to chime in that it is not only the age that they begin a grade that is important, but also the age they finish the grade.

Thanks for the input so far. I didn't think about the fact that the school year starts in January in some countries....:blush: Anyway, these are helpful thoughts as we consider options. I'd love to hear from others with additional ideas as well- Thanks!

Elaine

I have noticed that some of you start your school year in January rather than the traditional September start. I have a dd who has an Aug. 24th birthday and who started 1st grade this past fall. Having completed my midyear evaluations, I am wondering if it was a mistake to start her so early. My ds is in 4th grade and between right on schedule to a little advanced for his age in spite of having a summer birthday, so I think I just didn't give enough thought to my options for dd. Really, dd is able to do most of the work, but it is quite challenging for her and her attention span is lacking. We often dissolve into temper fits during school time. I think that if we had just started 1st grade now and given her the extra semester to develop, we would be about on schedule. So my question is, what would be the implications of kind of "starting over" and giving her a year to complete the rest of the first grade work rather than just another semester? Is this too confusing with my ds advancing in the Fall and dd in the winter? What about later when she needs to be tested or if she goes to a more traditional school, is applying for college, etc....? I was brainstorming some options with her, and she really doesn't want to be classified as "1st grade" next fall. What if we just kept advancing her "socially" (at co-op, Sunday school, etc...) but kept all her academic records a year behind? Will I have to classify her as being held back a year, or is it acceptable to start 1st grade at age 7? Thanks for sharing any thoughts or experience. I would especially be interested to hear from those with older kids, about the possible long term implact of various options.

Thanks, Elaine

It would not have ocurred to *me* *not* to start first grade in the fall with a dc who had an Aug. 24 birthday. Under no circumstances would I, at this point, hold her back a year, not even on paper, UNLESS she scored that low on every single academic subject; IOW, I'd want it officially documented that she could not work at her grade level. Emotional/mental immaturity is *not* a good reason, IMHO, to fail her a grade, which is what you'd be doing.

She will be fine.

I would teach her to her abilities as far as traditional school, what is your state's cutoff? I live in FL and the cutoff is Sept. 1. I have a daughter with an Aug 9th B-day and she is currently in K in public school. I look at her against her classmates and we can pick out all the Aug birthdays opposed to the earlier ones as far as development, reading, and focus in general. I think that homeschooling gives you much more ability to choose the subjects based on her level and if it comes down to putting her back in traditional school one day you could always go with the grade level she is in the most of and supplement at home if there is a subject lacking. i.e most subjects 1st grade, reading K I would say 1st grade and supplement at home with reading.

It would not have ocurred to *me* *not* to start first grade in the fall with a dc who had an Aug. 24 birthday. Under no circumstances would I, at this point, hold her back a year, not even on paper, UNLESS she scored that low on every single academic subject; IOW, I'd want it officially documented that she could not work at her grade level. Emotional/mental immaturity is *not* a good reason, IMHO, to fail her a grade, which is what you'd be doing.

She will be fine.

:iagree:

My guys are in whatever grade they would've been in PS, but I teach them at their level.

Just keep doing the next thing. My middle DD has a September B'day. As we started school it was a struggle and I quickly noticed that she handled everything very well about 6 mos late. I also thought she would have done much better being born in the spring! So, I just slowed her down a bit so she's working a few months behind. We still start everyone with the new grade (in name) in the fall. And DD finished up her 1st grade books even though she was in 2nd grade. And then started her 2nd grade books when she was done. Just keep doing the next thing and call the grade their age grade.

At home I would do whatever you feel is best for your child. On paper I would keep her at whatever grade she would be in public school. Later, if you decide to enroll her in school you can make the determination where to place her. My children have always gone through lags and leaps in both emotional maturity and academic growth.

Dd 7 has a September birthday, but she would be in 2nd grade in ps. After a not so good 1st grade year (she really just wasn't ready) I decided to restart 1st grade this fall with her. My reasoning was thus: We are 'expecting' to enroll them in high school in 9th grade, which means she would enter as a 13 year old. I've decided she will not start high school until she is almost 15 anyway...so it gives me a whole extra year homeschool.

Anyway, she flew through the 1st grade material this fall and by Christmas was solidly and comfortably working at 2nd grade level. We've had a great year this year because she was more ready for the expectations.

As far as outside activities that are grade-based we've kept her with her peers and she has done fine in those activities.

Amy

TX is so easy to hs in. I'm not sure I would know what to do if I had to put down their grades.:lol: I tell them they are in whatever grade they would have been in ps. My 6th grader may be a year or two ahead in English, but a year behind in Math (not a fan of math). However it works out, I know we will get there eventually.:001_smile: The most important part to me is that they have great confidence in themselves. I would never let them know they were behind. We just work till we "get it".

Hope this helps somewhat.

I am just now able to return to this thread and read all the responses. I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your experiences and advice with me. It seems like at this point, it seems like the best thing would be to just keep plugging along and reevaluate the situation at the beginning of the summer. Thanks again for your thoughts!

Elaine

TX is so easy to hs in. I'm not sure I would know what to do if I had to put down their grades.:lol: I tell them they are in whatever grade they would have been in ps. My 6th grader may be a year or two ahead in English, but a year behind in Math (not a fan of math). However it works out, I know we will get there eventually.:001_smile: The most important part to me is that they have great confidence in themselves. I would never let them know they were behind. We just work till we "get it".

Hope this helps somewhat.

:iagree:

My kids have been "behind" here and there over the years, and they always catch up. I've just continued to say they are in the same grades, and put them in the same outside classes as their peers. They are "ahead" in some subjects, so it all evens out I think. :tongue_smilie: