Menu

For those of you with large families...who gets your attention first??

Mommyfaithe

I always did something with my youngest and then worked my way up...Lately though, I am finding my 2 oldest are not having enough (or any some days) of ME (Mama) time.

When the youngies were babies/ toddlers / pre-schoolers, I seemed to be able to do a little phonics , read some stories, work in some hands on stuff, etc. And then, I could get down to nitty gritty with my older kids...even if it meant nursing a baby while doing literature.

Now, my youngest is 6...a hand-full in the best of times and we won't talk about the worst of times...LOL....he is doing CLE Learn to Read, Math 1, LA 1 and Bible 1 with his older brother who is 7.

My 7 yo is as sweet as pie...but a sllllooooowwwwww worker.

He is doing CLE Math2, Reading 2, LA 2, Science 1, and Bible 1. It can take him ALL day to do a math lesson if I don't sit with him. I also help him with a lot of the writing because there is just TOO MUCH for a 7 year old.

My 11 year old is pretty independent...she likes it that way. LOL. She is moving steadily along...almost too much, because I forget to check her work until she is 10 lessons ahead...and then we don't get to the corrections.

My 15 year old is just totally lost in the shuffle this year.

I think I really should be totally focused on him. His older siblings are no longer homeschooled and are eith in college or graduated from college. This should really be HIS time, but by the time I am done with these little guys...I AM EXHAUSTED!

Does anyone think it would be really horrible to just ditch the little guys workbooks and set up some play stations/ craft stations, sciencey and mathy type videos and manipulatives and just let them go for a few weeks while I concentrate on my oldest?

I really felt I needed to teach my little guy to read...which he is doing quite well...He can read Frog & Toad and Henry & Mudge. My 7 yo is reading Magic Tree House and henry Huggins type books.

I can probably do lots of reading with my littlies before bed...and I have lots of help in the read-aloud dept. as the older kids like to read to eachother...

So, should I pack up the little guys stuff...or does anyone have any ideas on how I can schedule this better?

It's funny because I am homeschooling less kids than ever...and for the first time, I do not have a baby in the house, and here I am....all off kilter....sigh...

Faithe

What I have learned (FYI: my oldest is only 11 years) is the littles can learn without the workbooks.

At the beginning of the school year I had CLE Reading, Science & Social Studies for my 1st, 2nd & 3rd grade students. I really liked them but have since ditched them.

I have mentioned it before but I'll write it again;) My dc listen to STOW, MOH, Diana Waring and tons of audio books. This is what I use for their history & science now for K-3rd grade. I'm pretty light with science & history. I don't do a whole lot of writing either in K-3rd grade.(my boys are just not ready. My dd was though)

I don't read aloud as much as I like to these days either. I do try but not every day do I get to it. Right now my five year old is listening to Frog & Toad on audio and my older dc are listening to a cd about science.

If I get math and phonics in with my 7yr old then I call that a good day (remember he is getting lots of good audio books and me reading to him also) and lots of play. Just today my 9yr. old was teaching my 7yr old how to ride a bike :D that's learning teamwork, loving one another and being helpful :001_smile: More than my well intended textbook could have accomplished.

Edited by Homeschooling6

I was just discussing scheduling in large families a few weeks ago with a friend and we were laughing at the differences we have in our approach. She has chosen to put the priority on her littles first so that she can "get their work out of the way" for the day and then she focuses on what the olders need. I'm the opposite. I have two very independent high school students but if they need my attention/help with something they are first on the list because they have the heaviest workload. Everyone else goes on hold if they need my hands-on attention. I also have a seventh grader who absolutely needs my attention, not every minute, but a LOT of minutes of the day. I have to make sure he's on track throughout the day so he becomes my next priority.

My younger students tend to fill in the cracks between these other moments. We do have a basic schedule that usually allows them to get their schoolwork in before lunch but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. And if they skip a day of some subject, I don't worry about. They have a long time to catch up.

I wouldn't hesitate a minute to change everything up and do what you need to do to help the 15 yo get on track. You don't really say if he's struggling with a certain subject or just needs more motivation or what, but if you give him the time he needs now and get him on track, you may be training him for more independence next year so that he would need less hands-on and then you can go back and concentrate on the little ones again.

I don't know that I would pack up everything for the littles but maybe lower your expectations of actually completing a book, curr. or whatever this year. If they only do a few lessons a week, they are still learning and still advancing.

HTH

I start by spending a little bit of time getting my bigs rolling. When those two and I have chatted about what's in the planner for today and all necessary details are clarified I have them start on their most independent subjects. Then I turn my focus to the littles, a first grader and a 4yo who thinks she's a first grader too (skill-wise she could be). Once the 4yo is done and the first grader hits his halfway mark they run off to play and I turn my focus back to the big two.

I start by spending a little bit of time getting my bigs rolling. When those two and I have chatted about what's in the planner for today and all necessary details are clarified I have them start on their most independent subjects. Then I turn my focus to the littles, a first grader and a 4yo who thinks she's a first grader too (skill-wise she could be). Once the 4yo is done and the first grader hits his halfway mark they run off to play and I turn my focus back to the big two.

This is what I try to do too!

We start with combined studies (Bible and History), then my oldest goes off to do her independent work (I give her a weekly sheet). After that I do combined science with my K-3rd graders. They then get a break while I put up the Bible/History/Science things and get out their math and LA.

I work with my younger ones on math and LA, then when they're done I try to check back with my oldest. She's pretty independent, but does run into trouble occasionally.

One day a week I skip math and LA with my younger ones, and focus on my oldest, doing review and discussion, and working through problem areas with her that day.

Blessings,

Laura

I have had the same problem. My 12yo needs my attention to be kept "moving along." My 4th and 5th graders work very diligently and have to have their work graded as soon as it is finished. I have been doing our read aloud for these three right after lunch. I then make sure my 12yo knows what she has to finish before we leave for dance/gym, get my dinner in the oven, and am out the door every day at 2:30. My 16yo goes to his room to do his work, and while I check on him on and off during the day, I also feel he doesn't get enough of my time. I check his work in the evenings, but we just need more interaction.

I have decided on a new schedule for us starting next week. I will have time with my 16yo right after lunch when everything will get graded and I can answer any questions he may have. I can make sure he is on track and I will do my reading aloud with the youngers right after our Bible/Memory Work time first thing in the morning. My teenager and I will also have a longer time together on Wednesday afternoons when I only drop my dd off to carpool with someone else, then I am home for the rest of the afternoon. I will grade all three of my youngest children's work right before lunch so they can correct/work on it while I am with their older brother.

I'm hoping our new schedule helps.

Well my kids are young, but the baby will get attention first. She is usually asleep when we do school though. Next is my 7 yo (my only "official" school-aged child) unless my youngest son is doing something dangerous or destructive. Of course, my 2nd DS just turned 6 and is doing more "real" schoolwork, so I don't know how that's going to work out. My ideal is to get my oldest started, then work with my next oldest while baby sleeps and 3yo plays quietly. :D

I don't know if I count because I only have 5 but when they were all home and younger, I set up Montessori activity trays for the littles while I worked with the olders. Then when the olders were off doing independent stuff, I'd work with the youngers. I read aloud a lot to the older ones during meals. I also had enforced quiet time for the littles while I worked with the olders after lunch. And then often after the littles went to bed my dh would work with the olders a bit too in the evening.

So I kind of just wove the ages in and out.

I've started getting my older two dc up earlier. We can usually get an hour or so of work in before the younger two wake up. Once the younger two wake, eat, and dress, I work from youngest to oldest. But, of course, I am always open to interruptions to answer a question or clarify a lesson.

I would encourage you to make sure you get time on the schedule -- even if it means doing less with the "littles", because you are on the downhill slide with your 15yo on the way to graduation. You need to make sure that child is equipped for the next step (whatever that may be).

Just my $.02. :)

Donna in Idaho

I think you need to give the 15 year old your attention. The little ones can get caught up...if your 15 yo is feeling the "left-out" vibe you might need to just dedicate the rest of the year to him/her. I have a 15 yo and only one behind him, but I am feeling the push to help him. They know there is only so much time for them left. We also have HS grads that are successful. I think there is a tendency to compare themselves and they just need help navigating their way through all that is before them.

The youngest will always be striving for attention-according to Kevin Leman and the Birth Order book. We just have added more competition and performances for our little one and are trying to spend time guiding the middle 15 yo. It is hard for him as all the other older ones are out of the house and he was close to them. Is that the same with your 15 yo? Are your "olders" out of the house?

It is OK to have to juggle...I remember when our 22 yo lost the back of her foot for a year-she didn't walk for a year. I had to clean her wound, three times-a-day. Our oldest had to watch the 2 youngsters as I cleaned and she screamed. I do not think we did school that year. We just learned to take care of her for that year. No one was "behind", it was just her time to have everyone's support. Well, we probably read and did math...I do not remember ever giving up math. haha

God bless you!

Cheryl

I start with my youngest kids while the older ones work on independent work. After lunch the littles are finished I have time to devote to just my older ones.

I tried oldest first but found my younger kids did best working with me early in the day.

Monday-Friday:

First, we start together at 7am for worship, then group reminders, like "Don't forget your constitution notebook today; or Famous People in history are now assigned."

:iagree: That works best here too. I am finished with the Little League by lunch. That covers all L.A., science and history. We have ditched workbooks. I have found that the Fundamentals matter most in the early years and the rest comes much easier after reading is established. The Little League (L.L) does have some independent work: correcting math, computer games for spelling, math drill, and geography. They also get read Spanish vocabulary booklets by the 4th grader. They are pretty much useless (said in love) after lunch time b/c they just want to play, play, play!

The preschooler (will be in K next year, gently) gets attention in "school" while the other L.L. are completing their math at the table. I have to be present for that, so I can easily answer a question while he works on phonograms and handwriting. He is a part of the science and history I do with the 1st and 2nd grader, but just to listen, color, or play. He doesn't really do any work.

1-3pm is time with the 4th grader. We cover all her L.A. and go over her independent work to make sure things stick. I teach math and do anything necessary to help her with history projects or writing assignments.

The middle schoolers get my attention from about 3-5. I teach ahead where necessary and really just meet on progress.

We used to do older first, but I lost the Little League that way, or I was too exhausted to give them all they needed b/c their work is the most mentally challenging for me b/c it goes at such a slow, repetative pace.

Fridays are different. The Little League only has a spelling test, math games (20 min. worth), one read aloud for history, health (a whole school class) and computer work. I spend the rest of the day as a teaching intensive day for the others: Spanish, Latin, Lecture (history), Writing (WriteShop heavy day), Vocabulary, and any areas of math I know they'll need a boost on (which has been nil this year to my joy!:001_smile:)

Every day, the nearly 2yo sleeps or stays in his bed until 9. Then he gets a ton of attention from the 4th grader in the mornings (I recently told her she was Not allowed to pick up the baby so much!). We all go out at 10:30 for PE. We come in and he plays where I can see him, right next to me :) That way we interact a great deal when there are pauses for writing, dictation, etc. We eat at 12ish, and then he's down from 1-3 for nap time. He wakes up and his momma comes to pick him up. My baby goes away each day!

Everybody gets their time...except me. I have stacks of books at my nightstand begging to be read. I slowly trudge through them. I'll probably get finished once I get the oldest three in college and off my teaching docket! To everything there is a season ;)

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

I just wanted to point out that I am amazed how much my little guy (almost 5) learns by just being around us during school. It may not be 2+2 or how to read most days, but he can now sing the 1st 28 prepositions and the helping verbs along with his brothers and the other day when we did a science experiment, he was the one to recount it to daddy at dinner! Brownie

I just wanted to point out that I am amazed how much my little guy (almost 5) learns by just being around us during school. It may not be 2+2 or how to read most days, but he can now sing the 1st 28 prepositions and the helping verbs along with his brothers and the other day when we did a science experiment, he was the one to recount it to daddy at dinner! Brownie

We need a LIKE smiley...I like this! It happens here too! I seriously, Never taught my 7yo how to add or subtract. He picked it up from his sisters lessons. It was beautiful b/c teaching him to read was a beast!

I think you need to give the 15 year old your attention. The little ones can get caught up...if your 15 yo is feeling the "left-out" vibe you might need to just dedicate the rest of the year to him/her. I have a 15 yo and only one behind him, but I am feeling the push to help him. They know there is only so much time for them left. We also have HS grads that are successful. I think there is a tendency to compare themselves and they just need help navigating their way through all that is before them.

The youngest will always be striving for attention-according to Kevin Leman and the Birth Order book. We just have added more competition and performances for our little one and are trying to spend time guiding the middle 15 yo. It is hard for him as all the other older ones are out of the house and he was close to them. Is that the same with your 15 yo? Are your "olders" out of the house?

It is OK to have to juggle...I remember when our 22 yo lost the back of her foot for a year-she didn't walk for a year. I had to clean her wound, three times-a-day. Our oldest had to watch the 2 youngsters as I cleaned and she screamed. I do not think we did school that year. We just learned to take care of her for that year. No one was "behind", it was just her time to have everyone's support. Well, we probably read and did math...I do not remember ever giving up math. haha

God bless you!

Cheryl

This is really what i am talking about. I feel like my 15 y/o is really lost in the shuffle. His older sisters are out of the home now...one married, one in college...and his older brother also began school this year outside the home. His older brother also works a lot...so his position in the home sort of shifted to oldest brother...which he loves...LOL.

I am realizing I need to spend the rest of this year focusing on him...but what to do with the youngers...

I don't want to plop them down in front of the tv...or just have them go off unattended to play while i work with ds.

I have never really had this conundrum before. My oldest kids always took turns playing with the baby...or toddler while I schooled or tutored someone else....

any advice?

Thanks,

Faithe

I pretty much alternate oldest to youngest. I start the girls on math, then do phonics and writing with the Ker. It's not written on my schedule, but generally we finish early and I spend a few minutes reading or playing with the toddler until it's time to start with the oldest again. Everyone gets a little time with Mom followed by some independent time with breaks scattered throughout. If that's as clear as mud, you can look at my MOTH schedule on my blog. We've changed one or two things, but it's close to what we're doing now.

7 year olds:

Starfall.com (4 yo too)

Coolmathgames.com

PurposeGames.com

SpellingCity.com

math-u-see.com (drills)

All of those sites are games, but really enforcing our lessons.

Stations are my friend. I put up a craft table with finger paint, water colors, play do, art stuff, etc. and let them at it. The baby is not allowed at this station :D They have supplies. They must keep them neat (need a lot of help with this). We clean up before eating or going outside...this motivates them to clean up quickly!

I can see them clearly in the back yard, so the 7 year olds and the 4 year old can play in the back.

The baby gets tiny little snacks during school. Things to pick up one at a time....takes about 10 min. to eat a full snack.

He spends about an hour a day, in small increments (maybe 3 or 4) just playing in his chair, strapped in playing with toys (animals, stacking, big magnetic letters).

I then move him around the house. He gets to run all around the living area, play with toys and bounce on large cushions. We often make tents for them to play in. My house is a perpetual fort.

When I have to be at my desk, I sit him on a blanket and he plays there next to me while I "chat" with him and he plays. The four year old is told to sit down on the couch and have quiet time. The 7 year olds model this for him and he's into it. He just needs a large stack of books!

They all sit in circle time (building is allowed) while I read aloud for science, history, or pleasure. The baby usually has to sit on my lap or beside me though, he's a distraction :)

Baby gets naptime story. Doesn't get up 'til 9 and is down around 1 'til 3.

During naptime, I do preschool - 20 minutes of working on sounds and beginner handwriting.

Then the little boys just play, and play, and play and I work with the 4th grader, etc.

HTH,

Is 5 considered large?

I'd like to say that there is a lovely system in place, but the reality is the one who gets attention first is the one on fire. :D [metaphorically speaking]

Essentially, the younger ones that need the most one on one, get the most right now. Plus, older dd can work longer in the day and so I can give her the attn she needs in the afternoon.