Menu

What do you think about starting SOTW with a 6th grader....

DianeJM

as our primary history, with some supplements? Is 6th too old to start SOTW?

I was planning to start ancients next year and go all the way through history.

We've not done that yet, we've done American and geography and some other stuff.

For quite some time I've been looking and pondering what to use.

This much I've discovered about myself: I don't do well with an all-put-together program. I've done MFW and loved it but didn't use it well, and also done Sonlight and gotten really stuck somehow.

My main problem there is my own executive function (lack of) skills!!!! Love the programs but just can't make them work. Argh!!

Well, now at least I know that. It's better that I know that about myself. Frustrating, but better, lol. It's much easier for me to have all my subjects separate.

But also, for me, simpler is better.

I've had trouble learning how to implement things like Shurley English or IEW -- I just cannot get the hang of what to do.

It's rather embarrassing to post this here for all to see.

But now I know that's the way I am, and it's good to know and realize how my own learning disabilities affect my home schooling.

Knowing my limitations will help me avoid some wrong choices down the road.

So, I was wondering what it would be like to use SOTW for history.

I thought I might try to do two books per year for two years to cover the whole of history in two years, 6th and 7th.

It seems SOTW would be super easy to use, and I would think I could supplement more age-appropriate things into it.

But is it really too young to do in 6th and 7th? We know a young married couple w/o kids who just found SOTW and are reading it together for fun and an education - they rave about it.

I also have BJU history for both 6th and 7th which covers the entirety of history.

And I've thought about History Odyssey and TruthQuest.

I've read loads of posts and visited lots of websites.

I'm wondering what would be easy to use for me and also make a good study of history for ds; thought SOTW might fit the bill, maybe with some supplements such as videos and real books.

I don't know.... what do you think?

I've braced myself -- I can take it.

And THANKS!!!

If you've done SL before then why not pull out the catalog for Core 6 and pick and choose from there? It uses the first two books in SOTW, the last two in Core 7. You could then see what other books might be of interest and throw in some additional literature depending on your DC interests. I add an additional spine but many people don't, if you choose to they are inexpensive used.

Since two of us are on the same page... I use the maps from the AG and my DD does the tests as a worksheet.

We used Sonlight Core 6 in 6th grade, which uses SOTW 1 & 2, and we are using Core 7 this year, which uses SOTW 3 & 4. I bought them on audio. He also reads from the Usborne History Encyclopedia as well as additional history reading. He writes on a topic that he is studying each week. The last 2 years have been very enjoyable for him.

Jill

Sonlight does this for Core 6 (6th grade) and Core 7 (7th grade). They use SOTW 1 and 2 for Core 6 and SOTW 3 and 4 for Core 7. Here is a link for you. :001_smile: http://www.sonlight.com/history-geography-6.html

:iagree:

I used SOTW with my middle schoolers. I added in KHE for outlining and other books for literature and reading using Beautiful Feet/ Ambleside Online and Sonlight for ideas.

My older kids really liked SOTW and did many of the hands on activities with my younger ones. I think it works nicely for multi-level teaching.

~~Faithe

:iagree:

I used SOTW with my middle schoolers. I added in KHE for outlining and other books for literature and reading using Beautiful Feet/ Ambleside Online and Sonlight for ideas.

My older kids really liked SOTW and did many of the hands on activities with my younger ones. I think it works nicely for multi-level teaching.

~~Faithe

This is my plan for middle school too. I plan on using Golden History of the World, then read through Builders of the Old World by Gertrude Hartman, then I plan to be back on schedule with our history cycle for middle school. I plan on using all 4 volumes of SOTW and the activity guide at that time, which should be 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grades.

We're doing SOTW Ancients with our weekly history club and we have a 12 year old girl that joins us. She loves it! I do believe her parents are taking things a little deeper with her at home, through discussions and additional reading.

Apparently the History Odyssey level 2 Ancients is quite good. They have a try before you buy option, so you could check that out for yourself and see what you think. I'm not sure if it uses SOTW or not. (Level 1 does reference SOTW.)

You could also use the WTM as a reference and do history as outlined there. The logic stage ancients section details exactly what to do and how to do it and provides a six-page list of suggested reading.

Have fun!

Oh, yes, I forgot to look at TWTM, oops.

I'll take a good look at that and go from there.

So, sounds like the consensus is that it is not a ridiculous idea. This particular ds is somewhat behind anyway skills-wise (which I am trying to remedy).

I have KHE and some of the other books I've seen on lists here and there.

Well, I will look into this further.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!!! I appreciate it VERY much!!

I have to say, that for me, if my child can memorize SWBs books, then I think a great amount of information will be in their heads. My daughter listens to the cds until she has the content almost memorized. I think that's amazing, and though it's not up to many families standards, for me, I love it. I wish that I did a lot more, I wish she voraciously read through all the other books that I have for her. For her.... she's just not into learning... so...the SOTW series... listened to over and over... is what we're gonna get... for now... (she's in 6th) Now, if Jim Weiss could just read the older series for me... I'd be set:-)

Carrie:-)

I wish that I did a lot more, I wish she voraciously read through all the other books that I have for her. For her.... she's just not into learning... so...the SOTW series... listened to over and over... is what we're gonna get... for now... (she's in 6th) Now, if Jim Weiss could just read the older series for me... I'd be set:-)

This is one of my concerns -- what will he retain?

From what I've heard of SOTW, it's engaging, so it should hold his interest, and adding higher level compliments and assignments may just be all I need to make it a complete experience. That's what I want.

He's not a self-starter type, and I'm looking to draw him in.

He really likes history anyway, and I'd hate to squelch that excitement.

I'm looking for it to be highly interesting for both of us -- this is going to be my first time through from the beginning, too.

Thank you EV'RY BUDDY for your input. I shall continue my research.

Blessings!!

I fully intend to do just this with my dd who will be in sixth grade next school year. We have done this or that and sometimes next to nothing for history and geopgraphy.:glare: So, we will be going through the SOTW books to give her a good overview of history. I like that US history will be included in that. Most likely I will add in some written narrations, summaries, and reports.

In my opinion, the SOTW books are just fine for middle school level. When I read them , I find nothing to make me believe they are too "young" for a middle school aged student.

My 11yo will be in 6th grade next year, and we're planning to do SOTW Ancients (along w/ little sis). I'm glad you asked this question because I was wondering myself.

We're doing WP Sea & Sky this year (which covers science and history), it wasn't until I pulled out our SOTW cd sets that the history came to life.

I am planning to use the activity guide for the maps and a few fun things, I'm going to look into some of the popular supplements for older kids, and lots of great books I've been collecting.

We are also going to do BF geography.

I'm thinking of investing in the cds from Jim Weiss that correlate with ancients:http://www.greathall.com/timeline.html

I want history to be easy and fun next year.

For my 7th grader, I am considering (at Daisy's suggestion...Thanks Daisy!:))

doing SOTW 3 with tests and map work, but then also adding ACE 7th grade paces.

That way, my DD will get the history portion in SOTW3, and yet still be doing 'grade level' work in ACE. (ACE 7th grade is a 1/2 year study of careers/occupations, so we can take our time and spread it out over the course of the year.)

For my 7th grader, I am considering (at Daisy's suggestion...Thanks Daisy!:))

doing SOTW 3 with tests and map work, but then also adding ACE 7th grade paces.

That way, my DD will get the history portion in SOTW3, and yet still be doing 'grade level' work in ACE. (ACE 7th grade is a 1/2 year study of careers/occupations, so we can take our time and spread it out over the course of the year.)

Are the tests easier at ancients than at modern?

I personally think that 6th is too old for SOTW, though I know there are many folks here who disagree with me.

I prefer the K12 series The Human Odyssey for the middle grades. There are three books that cover history from the earliest civilizations to the present. You can buy the books without using the online courses that go with them.

Thanks, Kai, for the suggestion of "The Human Odyssey" books. I'll look into it further. The stated levels on their site were 7th, 8th, and high school; that may be just a tad too old for him since he's a bit behind on his reading levels and general skills, but I'll take a look.

Helena, "easy and fun" is exactly how I want it. I couldn't have said it better.

I will take a look at BF geography as well.

I'm glad there were others thinking of this idea as well, helps me to know I wasn't completely out in left field thinking of it in the first place.

Thanks!!