Menu

Elementary Apologia Science - 2 in 1 year?

Classically Minded

Do you find that it takes you a whole year to do the 14 lessons? Could you not easily do 2 in 1 year?

Also, do any of the books cover physics or chemistry? My daughter has been wanting to learn about magnets and use a microscope and such and I'm not sure if I should just take time off and get a book from the library or what.

Here is the order in which we plan to finish the elementary books:

Astronomy (will finish by Summer)

Zoology 1-3

Human Anatomy & Physiology

Botany

Thanks in advance! ;)

I definitely think it's possible to do 2 books in a year. We are finishing up Zoology 1 and will start Astronomy soon. I think it will end up being about 15 or 16 months total for those two books, but we had many weeks where we slacked off and didn't do the zoology, or we just read a page or two (since mine are young). If we had stayed on track I really think we would have finished it MUCH sooner!

ETA: I know they talked in the past of writing a chemistry/physics book, but I have not heard lately if that's still going to happen.

I definitely think it's possible to do 2 books in a year. We are finishing up Zoology 1 and will start Astronomy soon. I think it will end up being about 15 or 16 months total for those two books, but we had many weeks where we slacked off and didn't do the zoology, or we just read a page or two (since mine are young). If we had stayed on track I really think we would have finished it MUCH sooner!

ETA: I know they talked in the past of writing a chemistry/physics book, but I have not heard lately if that's still going to happen.

Awesome, thanks! :D I've also thought of the gap between finishing the elementary exploring creation series and how Apologia's next is 7th grade science level. If we finish all the elementary sciences in 3 years, there would be a gap of a few years before being able to do 7th grade Apologia science. So I thought of adding in God's Design for Life series along with elementary apologia sciences.......that way she gets in the chemistry/physics as well. I really like to plan long term - so its seems like this plan will work doing 2 a year from now on.

We're 1/2 way through Sonlight core 4 science - it has the physics with magnets and electricity with a bunch on microscopes. It is a year program though---They use a TOPS magnetism and TOPS electricity and an usborne book on the microscope.

Beth

Edited by bethben

When we did these we completed each one in one semester with the exception of Zoology 3 which we used an entire school year. Zoo 3 was just too long and meaty to make happen in one semester. We do science every day so it was no problem fitting the others into a one semester schedule.

I hate to be the naysayer here, but the Anatomy book was supposed to be out last year. From what I understand, Jeannie is not writing the Physics/Chemistry book, but I would not count on that being out on time either. Don't wait to do Chemistry and Physics if your dd wants to do it now. Seize the day if that's what she's interested in :D

Blessings!

Dorinda