Menu

Storing grains in bulk...(questions)....

I am preparing to order some wheat and oats in bulk. I am going to store them in 5 gal food grade buckets. I am new to all of this. What do you use to keep the bugs out? I have heard of people using nothing. I have heard of using bay leafs and Oxygen absorbers. I have heard of people using mylar bags (not sure what the point of that is though). Country life foods suggests using Diatomaceous earth. What do you use?

Any other tips you have for storing bulk grains are welcomed.

~Cindy

I don't use anything besides storing them in buckets in the basement. We live where it's dry and pests aren't much of a problem. The basement stays relatively cool, although it is heated (I do wish we had an unheated storage space downstairs).

When I first get my grains, I store them in the deep freezer for a month to kill any little critters that might have been present in the bag. Then I pour them in a 5gal. bucket, pack it as full as I can to decrease the amount of oxygen, and seal it tight. Since I am rotating things fairly often, I have had no problems storing grains this way for up to two or three years. I suppose you should do more if you are going for the 20 year storage plan, but IMO it is better to rotate your supply more often than that so that the nutrients (not to mention palatibility and texture) do not degrade.

Make sure your buckets are food grade, and unless you love the hint of brine, avoid ones previously used for storing pickles, relish, etc. Check to be sure the lids have some type of seal (usually silicone) to make them air tight, not just the bare plastic against bare plastic. However, IME it is not necessary to buy the fancy gamma seal lids unless you need to get into them often or just want and can afford fancy lids. Many people I know buy only a few of the gammas and use them on the bucket currently being used. The ones left in storage get the standard lids.

Don't forget to stock up with several of the plastic wrenches made for opening the buckets. They make it very easy to remove those tightly stuck lids. I bought several at Lowe's last year for only $.49 each! HTH

Edited by hillfarm

While I know it is possible for the grain to come with bugs in it, I am wondering how common this is. Also, after freezing what method do you use to remove any possible dead critters before putting the grain into the buckets.

In my research it says not to put it in the freezer because of the moisture could make your grain go bad. You haven't experienced this?

I am glad you mentioned not using previously used buckets because I just picked up 3 of them at a restaurant and was planning to use them. There really is no way to get the hint of brine out of the buckets? If not, I guess I will just have to buy them.

~Cindy