Menu

Gap Year?

Have any of read SWB's blog about a gap year between high school and college? My ds is scheduled to finish high school at 16 almost 17 and we've always maintained that he should not leave home until he's 18. We don't know what this looks like but a gap year makes perfect sense to me. The possibilities of what he could do and experience that year while maturing a bit seem like a great plan.

Any other thoughts and opinions?

My ds is scheduled to finish high school at 16 almost 17 and we've always maintained that he should not leave home until he's 18. We don't know what this looks like but a gap year makes perfect sense to me. The possibilities of what he could do and experience that year while maturing a bit seem like a great plan.

Is this for your current 11yo? If so, what about stretching out and enriching high school til he's 17-almost-18, and then taking that gap year? The thing that struck me about Susan's article is the maturity difference between 18 and 19 year olds. I know different people mature at different rates, but with my 12yods, I can't predict right now what he will be like at ages 16-19 - I can only continue to educate him the best I can until he is able to do it on his own, and I don't know when this will be.

I am really enjoying her gap year series. I'm even thinking two or three years could be good (in general), depending on various factors. I'm closing in on my 24th gap year. :D And I'm thinking more and more about going to university some day.:D I'd definitely be focused by the time I went.:D

Have any of read SWB's blog about a gap year between high school and college? My ds is scheduled to finish high school at 16 almost 17 and we've always maintained that he should not leave home until he's 18. We don't know what this looks like but a gap year makes perfect sense to me. The possibilities of what he could do and experience that year while maturing a bit seem like a great plan.

I'm a bit confused by this. It is my impression that an enriching gap year experience would take your child from home. Are saying that while you would prefer your child to continue to live at home until age 18, you will consider liberating him early for the sake of a gap opportunity?

Personally I don't think you can really plan this for your child. If it is to be his gap year, then he needs to take the bull by the horns. I say this as a parent of an almost eighteen year old. My son is perfectly comfortable flying by himself and negotiating transportation in unknown places. Yet he does not want to take a gap year. He is ready to jump into college and then study abroad. He has plotted out a course of study and is ready to go. I never would have predicted this at age 11.

Now I did take him on an extended month long trip at age 12 around Britain. I couldn't quite swing the gap year, so I had a gap month. ;) To be honest, I needed it.

Jane (who is gearing up for her worldwide tour to visit all her WTM friends!)

Edited by Jane in NC
added silliness

We have and are thinking about stretching out his high school years but we have the added challenge of my ds being very gifted and at some point, probably sooner than later, he will far surpass what I can teach him. We are currently looking into all of our options but also don't want to hold back a child who loves to learn and is consistently asking for more. This is a child who spends extra time doing his supplemental math because it is fun and gets up early to read more and write musical compositions. I don't know if this will continue into his high school years but he's been this way from birth and was reading at 3.

I would not be adverse to sending him on missions trips by himself or by him even taking classes at the local college or doing a year at a Bible school close to home but I think sending him "to college" at 17 is a bit much. My dh went to college away from home at 17 and had a very rough time so we want to avoid that.

It's very common in the UK and Australia/New Zealand to have a gap year. In most cases, people apply to university when they finish school, but apply to defer their university place. Others on this board have had concerns about health insurance within the US system.

It's looking like Calvin will probably finish school at 17. I would like him to spend a year in China to bring his Chinese up to an adult useable level, but we'll see what he wants to do at that point.

Laura

I would not be adverse to sending him on missions trips by himself or by him even taking classes at the local college or doing a year at a Bible school close to home but I think sending him "to college" at 17 is a bit much. My dh went to college away from home at 17 and had a very rough time so we want to avoid that.

Got it. (Although I must admit that I had no trouble skipping a year of high school and beginning college at 17. I was ready to go!)

I don't know how much time you have spent over here on the high school board, but if you check in on occasion you'll find some great ideas. There are many talented and passionate children who take advantage of the fact that they are homeschooled, hence travel, take college courses, do interesting projects, find amazing mentors. You'll be inspired on an ongoing basis.

When we began homeschooling (7th), there were no other homeschoolers in our immediate area who did anything like TWTM. We were literally on our own so I was often jealous to read of cooperatives presenting such amazing opportunities. It made me realize that we would just have to create our own interesting opportunities. In your son's case, with his musical interests, finding teachers and master classes at a nearby university is certainly one prospect. That is, if you have a nearby university. (My son took courses at the community college in 11th and 12th grade, but not all of the participants on this board have a nearby community college nor do all CCs allow high school students to take classes.)

Having a bright and focused child is gratifying yet challenging in its own right. Your journey is only beginning.

Jane