Menu

Questions about beginning Spelling

At what point do you start spelling? Do you wait till you are finished with OPGTR, halfway through or what?

My daughter is asking how to spell a lot of words and even tries to spell on her own when she writes. I'm wondering if that means she is "ready" for spelling.

Also, I'm torn between "All About Spelling" and "Spelling Workout" - please give any advice on these programs!

Thanks in advance! ;)

It sounds like a good time to start spelling! If she's interested it would be a nice addition to your days. We actually started spelling before reading. My dd was 4yo and spelling was easier for her to do. We use AAS and we both enjoy it. She is a very hands-on girl so this worked out well for us. I love the word building aspect and that it teaches the rules of spelling. One thing to consider is your dd's learning style. SWO would not have worked for my dd but works well for lots of kids.

I agree that it sounds like a good time. All of my kids started in K with Spelling Workout. It was about that time that they were writing for fun and I didn't want to correct the fun stuff!

I like Spelling Workout because its one subject that even the youngest of students can do on their own (except for test days, and the first day of the lesson in K and first grade I have them read aloud the passage and we do a pretest). But other than that - they open the book and go!

My first grader started with SWO A and he often goes ahead in the book and has asked when he'll start getting harder words! If you go with SWO - your daughter may find it very easy, but I wouldn't advise skipping - I think its a great non-stressful beginning to independent work.

Another thing - once you start spelling you may not see a positive effect in other subjects until maybe 3rd grade.

At what point do you start spelling? Do you wait till you are finished with OPGTR, halfway through or what?

My daughter is asking how to spell a lot of words and even tries to spell on her own when she writes. I'm wondering if that means she is "ready" for spelling.

Also, I'm torn between "All About Spelling" and "Spelling Workout" - please give any advice on these programs!

Thanks in advance! ;)

I haven't used Spelling Workout, but here's info on AAS that might help you:

All About Spelling is specifically designed to help these groups of kids:

- Kids who need remedial spelling help, whether they are behind or struggle to keep up in spelling

- Those who never learned the spelling rules

- New beginning spellers, to prevent spelling problems

Here's a link to readiness signs for AAS.

HTH! Merry :-)

It sounds like she's ready! :) After looking at both AAS and SWO, we chose AAS. I knew it would go deeper than what SWO was offering, and the tactile piece of the lessons was perfect for my ds. I used to teach remedial reading to middle schoolers, and we did a program much like AAS (called WIlson Language). I knew I wanted SOLID, and AAS is very solid. To me, spelling is too crucial to make a mistake with it, but that is JMHO.

Thanks for all the replies! ;)

I asked my daughter last night if she wanted to start spelling and she was jumping up and down and then went to the fridge and started spelling words with the magnets lol. So we are going to decide which one to do - AAS or SWO. I'm leaning more towards AAS because my daughter loved pics of another girl her age online doing the lesson with the tiles. I like knowing that its a complete spelling program and I wouldn't have to worry about any gaps in her spelling learning - its just the price that is daunting!

Edited by Classically Minded

I was getting ready to order AAS then I saw a few other posts and now I learned about SWR, HTTS and Spelling Power and my head is spinning! I know TWTM recommends Spelling Power so now I'm looking into that.

How do you decide between these programs? I mean with AAS I've heard the con's is that the words are too easy. Then with SWR, its a lot of work to prepare the lessons.

I haven't heard much about Spelling Power on the boards - does anyone use that or have opinions about it?

I hope to come up with a spelling program by the end of next week. :blink:

You can use magnets with any program. ;)

If your DD doesn't need remedial phonics work and she is highly motivated and somewhat independent, then I would go ahead and try SWO.

The thing that I really like about AAS is that they learn how to spell words by using the rules, so it opens up a lot of words that aren't in the program.

I found this quote: "Look into spelling power. Its very fun, hands on and not overwhelming and goes completely at the childs pace." Sounds good, LOL

Edited by Lovedtodeath

You can use magnets with any program. ;)

If your DD doesn't need remedial phonics work and she is highly motivated and somewhat independent, then I would go ahead and try SWO.

The thing that I really like about AAS is that they learn how to spell words by using the rules, so it opens up a lot of words that aren't in the program.

I found this quote: "Look into spelling power. Its very fun, hands on and not overwhelming and goes completely at the childs pace." Sounds good, LOL

We did 8 lessons of SWO and she kept asking if she really had to write the word. She would do the activity and spell the word out loud and didn't want to write it. I made her write it anyway to complete the lesson. I'm not sure if she is supposed to like doing it or not - it seemed she was frustrated with it. She really likes writing words on the dry erase board - I gave her a bunch just to see if I could tell if she is a "natural speller" but I have no idea how to tell that.

Do you need to know the spelling rules? I didn't learn them from what I remember and just had lists to learn each week and I won the 2nd grade spelling bee but I also have a good memory from seeing something once.

AAS, SWR, WRTR etc. are all based on spelling by learning the rules. It makes spelling (mostly) logical, versus memorizing lists of words. Go to the AAS website and read the reasoning behind approaching spelling this way, and it will help.

The beauty of AAS is that you can do it without much or any writing for a while. My dd is getting better with writing (and prefers it to the tiles now actually), but this was a big reason why I chose AAS vs. a workbook program like SWO. The other big plus for AAS is that it is "open and go", which isn't true of SWR or WRTR (although people who have done those for a while probably get to that point).

If your dd is upset at writing spelling words, then I would ditch the workbook approach (which is what most traditional spelling programs are from what I understand).

We did 8 lessons of SWO and she kept asking if she really had to write the word. She would do the activity and spell the word out loud and didn't want to write it.
Well in that case I would say she isn't ready for spelling, honestly. But if you are going to do a spelling program it sounds like AAS is what your DD wants to do. You are still supposed to write the words after you spell them with the tiles... but maybe the fact that they could be right there in front of her on the tiles and she can just copy them would help. (And you don't have to do that, really.)

See, I keep waiting for "spelling readiness" to evidence itself in my six year old kindergartener. I keep thinking she will start asking how to spell words, or wanting to write things, or communicate in written fashion somehow, but she has NO interest. At all. Doesn't ask me to dictate. Just has no interest in writing.

Her handwriting, while not beautiful, is certainly legible. Quite adequate. And she's a pretty fluent reader. (Mid sixth grade level on the DORA, tho her sweet spot seems to be high third/ mid fourth grade.)

I may just go ahead and start spelling, even without any interest.

Well in that case I would say she isn't ready for spelling, honestly. But if you are going to do a spelling program it sounds like AAS is what your DD wants to do. You are still supposed to write the words after you spell them with the tiles... but maybe the fact that they could be right there in front of her on the tiles and she can just copy them would help. (And you don't have to do that, really.)

Maybe she isn't ready - I guess I could wait till Fall, although she does try to spell things a lot and wants to know how to spell. AAS she would probably love, but its the price that has me holding off. I have the SWO A, so we may just keep that and bring it out again in Sept. and see if its the same and go from there.

See, I keep waiting for "spelling readiness" to evidence itself in my six year old kindergartener. I keep thinking she will start asking how to spell words, or wanting to write things, or communicate in written fashion somehow, but she has NO interest. At all. Doesn't ask me to dictate. Just has no interest in writing.

Her handwriting, while not beautiful, is certainly legible. Quite adequate. And she's a pretty fluent reader. (Mid sixth grade level on the DORA, tho her sweet spot seems to be high third/ mid fourth grade.)

I may just go ahead and start spelling, even without any interest.

If your daughter is reading at that level, I would imagine she is ready for spelling. However, I'm not an expert so couldn't tell you for certain - you know her best! ;)

FINALLY made a decision after much agonizing lol. :lol: I just ordered Level 1 AAS. We are going to do Level 1 until fall (we do year round schooling) and then bring out SWO A again and she if she still detests it.

What sold me on AAS was that it was not only a thorough spelling introduction but a phonics review as well.

Edited by Classically Minded

YAY! I was so hoping to convince you to get AAS!

You really did help! Thanks so much for all your advice! ;) My daughter is so excited to do it because she said she wants to do the tiles on the board lol. For me, it was just so complete in so many ways and easy to teach and understand. We are getting the magnetic board tonight, I found a large one for $20.

I've come to believe that following WTM recc to start SWO in 1st grade is a good one. It'll be nice that my youngest is further along in SWO at an earlier age so that she'll be done and ready for Vocab by 6th grade.

I'd start SWO A as soon as the child is reading at a 1st grade level, and then plug along. Ideally, finishing SWO H by 5th or 6th grade. . .

For my youngest, it is looking like:

K: SWO A and half of B.

1: finish B, plus C

(this is where we're at now, so I don't assume multiple books for later years, but if convenient, we'll compress at least one more book to finish H in 5th grade instead of 6th).

2: D

3: E

4: F

5: G

6: H

7th & up: Vocab study

I wasn't on the SWO train early enough with my olders. . . but I know WTM suggests compressing (doing 2 books a year) as an alternative approach, so that would work if the child started later. I wish my 7th grader was done already, as she has so many other important things to do, and is doing Vocab. . .but I don't want to drop it yet (she's in G) as she wasn't a natural speller and is just now spelling respectably well.