Menu

one more question- combining SM with other Math curr.

jedbel

I have been searching for past threads about SM and am noticing that many people combine SM with another math program. For those of you you who combine can you please let me know the specific reasons and what programs you combine with? My son is 6 and good in math. We tried Mathusee but he is not being sufficiently challenged and is feeling a bit bored. I am switching him to SM to see if it is a better match but am wondering why some people combine it with other programs.

Thanks,

Becky

I used SM without combining and now I'm *very* sorry. My twins were at the top of their class in math prior to coming home last January to be homeschooled. They took the placement test & started on Singapore 3B, doing well through the entire book.

Fast forward to now...for a variety of reasons, we placed them back in public school. State assessments are coming up and they know almost NOTHING math-wise that they'll need for these tests. They're freaking out & I'm freaking out, feeling that I've failed them hugely. I can only imagine what their teachers think, but the simple fact is that none of the material was covered in their Singapore books. (To be fair, the Singapore website does state that "the Primary Mathematics curriculum will probably not follow the same sequence as the curriculum your child has been doing").

Anyway, I'm not saying that you'll ever be in my position, but in hindsight, I do think that using 2 curriculums may offer a better foundation.

We combine Singapore, Miquon, and MEP. Why? We were doing a tradtional math (Abeka) and doing ok. Then my younger son flew through the K and first grade books in less than one year. He was bored. I was scrambling to come up with addtional worksheets and games to keep up his interest in math. His older brother was patiently plodding through his workbook doing his page or two per day. He was fine, except that he had no idea how to get an answer if the problem was presented a slightly different way than he was used to. He just froze and then fell apart. He had no idea why he did what he did. I realized something had to change for both of my guys (and me).

After too many hours of research here on the boards (and finally borrowing my friend's Singapore materials to look over), I switched to my oddball combo of three maths. My boys do MEP daily, Singapore two or three times a week, and Miquon two or three times a week. My older boy is getting the explanation and review he needs (thanks to Singapore), my younger son is getting the exploration and review he needs (thanks to Miquon), I have a very full toolbox of math methods I draw from to help us all be challenged (this is the MEP), and yet understand it all (thanks to all three). I don't think that everyone would have to combine three maths to get this effect, especially if the teacher had more math chutzpah than I do; but it works for us.

I chose to add miquon to singapore because:

dd1- dd would rather do things one way only. dd needed miquon's way of constantly presenting things in a different way. Example 3=1+?, 1+2=?, or 132/4= 40/4+40/4+40/4+12/4=33

ds1-was starting on the younger side and I needed to slow him down or we would hit concepts before he had time to get his math facts memorized

ds2-fine motor is slow going, needs plenty of practice but in small varied chunks

I just used the sm workbooks vroot and vroom cd for 3/4 and miquon adding textbooks and HIG would have been too much for us.

However, now that we're into 5a without miquon we're using HIG, Tb, Wb, CWP, and Int P and Key to series.

We use Singapore and Horizons. Singapore teaches kids how to think mathematically. It builds a structure in kids' heads--not just random facts. We use Horizons for its breadth of topics (i.e. all of those things you need to know for standardized tests) and for regular review.

I think Singapore alone will develop kids who really understand numbers and can think mathematically. Teaching to the standardized tests of the world will not do that in my opinion. But since standardized testing is a reality for us, I add in Horizons as a supplement. I consider Singapore to be our real program.

I have been searching for past threads about SM and am noticing that many people combine SM with another math program. For those of you you who combine can you please let me know the specific reasons and what programs you combine with? My son is 6 and good in math. We tried Mathusee but he is not being sufficiently challenged and is feeling a bit bored. I am switching him to SM to see if it is a better match but am wondering why some people combine it with other programs.

Thanks,

Becky

Becky,

Singapore was my first love in math programs. I am very mathy, and I love the problem solving focus.

But my kids are hands on learners and not mathy. When I first started the HIG's weren't out for the lower levels. I started out using Miquon to supplement when my oldest hit a wall in Singapore A1 (when they took away the picture manipulatives). But she and my 2nd dd hated miquon, so I moved over to RS.

RS uses the same base 10 philosophy, but has the manipulative focus my kids needed. They also don't make some of the logical leaps that Singapore does, but will demonstrate each step. My kids really need that.

By using both they get plenty of review, and the problem solving, critical thinking aspects of Singapore.

Heather