Menu

What to do in Phoenix?

My 11 yo dd & I will be in Phoenix next weekend. We will have half a day Friday, all day Saturday, and part of the day on Sunday to spend doing fun stuff. What do you recommend? Any shows in town? Good hikes? Museum exhibits? Restaurants?

We'll be staying in Glendale near the Cardinals Stadium. Thanks!

There are lots of great hikes in the Phoenix area. I highly recommend the White Tank Mountains for a pretty hike. The waterfall trail is fairly easy, and the waterfall will probably be flowing due to all the rain we've had this winter. (In the driest seasons, it's a mere trickle.) There are a number of hiking trails there, and you can also rent horses just outside the park (haven't done it yet, but I want to!). The White Tanks are west of where you'll be; you take Olive Ave. west straight to the park. If you're up for a more strenuous hike, there are two gorgeous mountains you can climb to the top of - Piestewa Peak or Camelback Mountain (Piestewa Peak is north of downtown PHX, and Camelback is in Scottsdale).

There's a great zoo and aquarium out in the same direction as the White Tanks, the Wildlife World Zoo and Aquarium. Very fun. There's a seafood restaurant there where you can sit and watch the sharks and smaller fishes in their aquarium while you dine. (I've heard the food is quite good.)

The Phoenix Art Museum is lovely, and there is also the Heard Museum, which specializes in southwestern/Native American art and artifacts. If you like archaeology, there's also the Pueblo Grande museum. These are not super close to where you'll be staying, but not hard to get to.

I'm sure there are plenty of shows in town. I think Mary Poppins is at ASU. Is it next weekend? The Phoenix Opera is doing Madama Butterfly, and the ballet is doing Sleeping Beauty. (I'm trying to figure out what I want dh to take me to for Valentine's Day.)

Wendi

Edited by Wendi

My 11 yo dd & I will be in Phoenix next weekend. We will have half a day Friday, all day Saturday, and part of the day on Sunday to spend doing fun stuff. What do you recommend? Any shows in town? Good hikes? Museum exhibits? Restaurants?

We'll be staying in Glendale near the Cardinals Stadium. Thanks!

I know the Tempe area best. But here it goes: Rula Bula is a super Irish restaurant in Tempe. Tandoori Times is a tasty Indian restaurant in Scottsdale. Hole in the Rock near the zoo is fun to hike. The Children's Museum, I hear, is great (it opened shortly before we moved so we didn't get there).

There are places to hike all over the city--and now is a good time of year to do it! :)

DD loves the Heard Museum. The Science Center and the Children's Museum are cool, too, and are all convenient to the Light Rail (park and ride is your friend if you venture into downtown Phoenix.

The Phoenix Zoo is a better place to spend your money than that other one--they're a nonprofit zoo and do conservation work, etc. They're also awesome, and right next to the Desert Botanical Garden, which is neat, and both are in a larger park with some cool hiking trails (Papago Park).

Without venturing into the East Valley (Mesa, etc.), those are probably the high points I'd consider hitting.

Definitely try for a hike at South Mountain! We live right by it, and there are lots of great trails, along with petroglyphs.

Also, Maricopa County has lots of great events at the outlying parks - http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/events.aspx

As far as museums, the Science museum is fun & the Heard is pretty neat. Mary Poppins starts this week, I think, and there is a discount code for $10 tickets (we took advantage of this!). Valley Youth Theatre also has some plays coming up, I think.

We also enjoy mini-golf (Castles & Coasters is fun) and Desert Botanical Garden. Stuffington Bear Factory is nice, too. And ASU often has free community events if you want to check out their calendar. The Renaissance Fest has also started in Apache Junction. We just did that this past weekend and had fun (and you can get discount tickets at Fry's). Also, Estrella War Encampment is this week, too. If you're here on Friday, you can get in on the school group day.

And I'm not sure if spring training has started yet, but there might be games for that, too.

You must be going there for the same reason we are, how fun is that?:lol::lol:

If I knew you better, I would say let's meet up!

Since you only have a short time, I would say Science center, zoo or Desert Botanical Gardens. All of those are so much different from the ones in Denver, its so neat. If you go to the DBG or zoo, there is plenty of hiking in that area. Its so close to the airport, you can go for a quick hike after you land, but before you head over to your hotel.

There is an awesome German restaurant over there (Haus Murphy?), but I lived way across town, and didnt get over there often enough.

Dont forget that there is a gymnast after-party Saturday night that is usually pretty fun! Oh, and session admission is $20!!!! Worst part:glare:

This is our first year not going to Estrella War... :( I forgot it was this week, darn it!!