Menu

Transportation secretary says to stop driving recalled Toyotas

I read on here that some folks who owned recalled Toyotas were planning on still driving them until there was a problem. I came across this article today and thought that I would pass it along.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35216587/ns/business-autos/?GT1=43001

ETA: This is not the article that I posted before. MSN must have changed it to the updated article. The first article did say that all Toyota owners shouldn't drive their cars if involved in the recall.

Edited by Pajama Mama

Our Toyota Truck is older and was involved in a separate recall. I called on Monday, was seen half an hour later, and found that my truck didn't have any corrosion. WHile I love my Hyundai, I can see why it took them a bit of time to figure the problem out. COmpared to the Ford Pinto disaster, I am quite happy with Toyota's response.

I mentioned it before, but lots of car manufacturers use this same pedal assembly from the same company. Toyota is being proactive and not waiting for a government mandated recall. This isn't a problem for brand new Toyotas, it's specifically something that happens over time.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told owners of recalled Toyotas to "stop driving" their vehicles, but later said he misspoke and advised owners to bring their vehicles to dealers if they were concerned.LaHood made the comments in testimony before a House Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation.

“What I said in there was obviously a misstatement,” LaHood said.

Department of Transportation spokeswoman Olivia Alair said the DOT was advising owners to contact their local dealerships to arrange for fixes as soon as possible.

I read this other article about an hour after I posted the first. Apparently the transportation secretary is changing his tune. I would have posted it sooner but I kept getting a busy signal on the wtm site.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35216587/ns/business-autos/?GT1=43001

I don't own a Toyota but thought I should let folks who own them know that they weren't safe. Then I felt kinda stupid when they changed their tune:blush:

I own a Highlander and should be following this, but haven't.

Thanks!

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-consumer-safety-advisory-102572.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Toyota_vehicle_recall

But it's not *all* of any of these makes that use those pedals, it depends upon where they were built. Take your vehicle to a Toyota dealer and ask them about it.

He is now saying that was a "misstatement".

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said he misspoke Wednesday when he urged owners of recalled Toyota Motor Corp. vehicles to stop driving their cars.

The remark was an "obvious misstatement," LaHood said after testifying in a House hearing on budget issues. He said that he intended to urge Toyota owners to take their vehicles to dealers to have them examined and, if necessary, fixed.

During the hearing, LaHood said, "My advice is...stop driving it. Take it to the dealer," so that potentially faulty gas pedals can be fixed, LaHood said. His staff immediately sought to clarify the remark.

Toyota has begun shipping kits to dealers that the company says will address a gas-pedal problem.

Toyota's American depositary shares were recently down 5%.

I'm glad you posted this, and my comment is no way meant to be critical of your posting.

In response to the DoT statement, however, I honestly think I am a better judge than the Transportation Secretary on whether or not I should continue driving my car. (They just came out yesterday with a brake recall on the 2010 Prius.) It's quite ridiculous, imo, it's not like all of these Toyotas are suddenly careening off the roads because of stuck gas pedals (or bad brakes). It's a chance I'm willing to take.

While I'll take my car to the dealer eventually for the recall, I'm not about to change my driving habits just because a government official tells me so. I don't trust our gov't, and it's my personal opinion that if this were an American car maker, the whole recall situation would be handled a little differently--and maybe not even happen at all. It does not change my very high opinion of Toyota in the least.

(Yes, I realize some Toyotas are built in the U.S.)