Menu

Lapbook that goes with SOTW??

christielee7278

History Portfolio uses SOTW as a spine.

these look cool...but we can't afford them. However, instead of a lapbook, what we have started doing (a dear friend of mine showed me how) is putting together a binder of SOTW "stuff"...for each chapter I have one of the coloring sheets (rotating between the 2 who like to color) and a map. Plus, if we do any of the activities, we take pictures and then I make like a mini scrapbooking page (NOTHING fancy) and put that in our book....writing the narration of the children about what we learned. Our kids love looking through the book again and again.

these look cool...but we can't afford them. However, instead of a lapbook, what we have started doing (a dear friend of mine showed me how) is putting together a binder of SOTW "stuff"...for each chapter I have one of the coloring sheets (rotating between the 2 who like to color) and a map. Plus, if we do any of the activities, we take pictures and then I make like a mini scrapbooking page (NOTHING fancy) and put that in our book....writing the narration of the children about what we learned. Our kids love looking through the book again and again.

This is what we do for science and my boys LOVE it!! I tried with history and it wasn't working out for some reason. I don't know if its me and I'm just more excited/motivated with science (which would be weird since I am much more of a history person) or maybe our spine (MOH) just isn't motivating me. We're going solely with SOTW because my boys like it a lot better than MOH. I'm hoping I can find something exciting so they will have a really cool history notebook to match their science notebook.

I'm doing Ancients with my boys this year, reading from SOTW and using a History Pockets book (Ancient Civilizations), adapting the HP activities to lapbook form. Now if only there was a HP book for Middle Ages, I'd be set for next year!
I have this!!! I forgot all about it!! Thanks!! I'm thinking we're going to add this to the SOTW activity guide and Homeschool Share's lapbooks. Thanks! Is there not a Middle Ages book? I have one or two of the American History books.

Also, check Homeschoolshare.com for these free lapbooks:
Thank you Melanie! I had forgotten about this resource as well. I LOVE the HO materials, but unfortunately not in our budget.

Thank you for all the ideas and links, ladies!! :001_smile:

Another thought... We're using the SOTW AG and I have the student pages in pdf format. I was thinking I could take the colouring pages, maps, etc., zoom them to a smaller size on-screen, do a screen print, paste them into Word, crop, and use as needed. That way I can use the materials in more of a notebook/lapbook format with more than one element per page, for mini-books, etc.

I hope that makes sense!

Another thought... We're using the SOTW AG and I have the student pages in pdf format. I was thinking I could take the colouring pages, maps, etc., zoom them to a smaller size on-screen, do a screen print, paste them into Word, crop, and use as needed. That way I can use the materials in more of a notebook/lapbook format with more than one element per page, for mini-books, etc.

I hope that makes sense!

Wow, never thought of this, might be worth buying my extra student pages in pdf!

Thanks!!:001_smile:

I hope that makes sense!

Where can you get the student pages in pdf format?

Thanks,

Mendy

• 4 weeks later...

If there was a lapbook for SOTW do you think it would be better to have all 42 chapters in one big PDF, or to have each chapter as a separate PDF? Just asking....;) Don't get excited. I am only on chapter 11....but once it's done I'll put it on my blog for a free download. But once again- one BIG file, or separate files?

If there was a lapbook for SOTW do you think it would be better to have all 42 chapters in one big PDF, or to have each chapter as a separate PDF? Just asking....;) Don't get excited. I am only on chapter 11....but once it's done I'll put it on my blog for a free download. But once again- one BIG file, or separate files?

I'd like it separately, but I'd also be surprised if you could do this without "permission". Cool though...

:-)

I think one large file would be convient, but with the economy the way it is..... more and mroe people are having to go with dialup. So smaller files would be easier for them. Hard decision.

Oh, oh, oh!!! So excited! I would prefer one big PDF file rather than all the little ones. Then I could print it all off at once and get it organized and prepared this summer before the start of school next year. (hint, hint ;):D)

Ya'll can see my notebook at my link. I have 3 weeks to go, plus a review with larger scale timeline maps that will pull in what was happening in different parts of the world at the same time.

I have your site down too, I am collecting and arranging as fast as I can for 1st LOL. Don't hold your breath though, it could be a couple of months.

I do love your book selections ! :D

hehehehe. :blink: No. That's why I'm not selling, just making it. They are google images. Shoot- doesn't everyone do it? :001_unsure:

:leaving:

When you search for images do an advanced search and you'll see an option for creative commons license. Look for images that allow for modification and/or commercial use. :) (You can also search flickr this way.)

Here's a site with some for ancients--Genesis, Egypt, Greek, Rome

and one specifically for the Middle Ages correlated perfectly to SOTW 2. This MA one is not for the faint of heart--but super, super cool! lol

I also have notebook pages somewhere for the first 19 or so chapters of SOTW 1. I will look and pm you. They got taken off my desktop.

hehehehe. :blink: No. That's why I'm not selling, just making it. They are google images. Shoot- doesn't everyone do it? :001_unsure:

:leaving:

I think you are fine making it for yourself, just not sharing. There are images that have a "receive free give free" type of license even if they aren't Public Domain images. You could use those to share. Oh, and public domain images of course.

Here's a site with some for ancients--Genesis, Egypt, Greek, Rome

and one specifically for the Middle Ages correlated perfectly to SOTW 2. This MA one is not for the faint of heart--but super, super cool! lol

I also have notebook pages somewhere for the first 19 or so chapters of SOTW 1. I will look and pm you. They got taken off my desktop.

Oh cool! I really shouldn't do anything else with MA, but now I want to. :o